News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Native Tree/Plant Plight

Started by Onslow, February 23, 2019, 14:00:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

https://triblive.com/lifestyles/home-garden/longtime-rock-musician-also-a-steward-of-the-environment/

Longtime rock musician also a steward of the environment

As Mick Jagger performed a powerful version of "Angie" last week on stage in Canada, the beautiful, melodic piano lines weaving through the song were deftly being played by The Rolling Stones' musical director and keyboard player Chuck Leavell.

He's been with the band 37 years and has also played with musical legends Eric Clapton, George Harrison, the Allman Brothers, John Mayer and countless others.

Leavell's passion for music is accompanied by a life spent as a steward of the environmen
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

His side gig in the late '70's: Sea Level.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 23, 2019, 16:54:09 PMhttps://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/india-plant-66-million-trees-12-hours-environment-campaign-madhya-pradesh-global-warming-climate-a7820416.html?fbclid=IwAR16W5kXilb3d_RhLlAjKAHo7J-e9zqS9YRGUB-OojDilEdy3j42ipjZVss

Go India!!!

Planting trees is a hoot, I think.  I really enjoy starting various oaks and planting them.  My Bur Oaks from the famous VT tree are doing great – planted in 2012 from 2011 nuts, they are now over 10 feet.  The huge White Oak acorns I collected in western KY did not fare so well.  Most of the ~ two dozen acorns sprouted over the winter and I was ecstatic, but I planted them in individual pots, leaving them on the deck of an outbuilding, and the resident chipmunk got all but 2.  Those 2 are doing fine.

Go plant a tree!!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Ditch your fucking lawn!

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Dougfish

This guy is my new hero.

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

This guy is awesome......imagine him teaching Botany 101!

Woolly Bugger

Emerald ash borers are destroying ash trees in the Triad

http://via.wghp.com/kpOef

You cannot view this attachment.
me -There's a season?

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 05, 2019, 20:15:49 PMEmerald ash borers are destroying ash trees in the Triad

http://via.wghp.com/kpOef

They're up here in the mountains now, too. We just discovered them last year in the area I work in.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

Roanoke city started treating their Ash street trees a few years ago.
They should have saved their money to buy a new chipper. All are dead or dying.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 06, 2019, 14:42:49 PMhttps://www.blueridgeoutdoors.com/go-outside/forest-forensics/?amp

Interesting read!

Indeed it is.  I wish I could find a link to an 800+ page document produced by the USGS in the late 1800s near the turn of the century regarding the environmental conditions in NC. It has been 7 years since reading the document, but in its pages, stories of out of control raging forest fires stemming from wild weather, and poor land management were unforgettable.  Between the fires, deforestation, erosion, nasty hurricanes, general despair, some thought the world was coming to an end.

Woolly Bugger

QuoteROXBURY — Jack Swatt, president of the 35-year-old CT Chapter of the American Chestnut Foundation, was joined by five people as excited as he was, to unveil the pollination results of a newly discovered American Chestnut tree on a dirt road in rural Roxbury. The group included Marilyn Keurajian of Durham, who is an avid supporter of the mission to bring back the American Chestnut.
Richard Wilhelm, who lives just up the road, recognized the significance of the tree he discovered and immediately contacted the foundation. According to Wikipedia "The American chestnut is a large deciduous tree of the beech family that is native to eastern North America." The species became nearly extinct when a blight dating back to 1904 destroyed an estimated 4 billion American chestnut trees in its historical range, which includes Connecticut. The chestnut tree was lighter than oak, rot-resistant, and straight-growing so it was perfect for telephone poles, split railing, and construction.

On June 28, 30 bags were placed over the branches of the Roxbury tree in groups of three. Each group had been pollinated with a different American chestnut. Arborist Scott Hall used a bucket lift to reach the high branches, and on Sept. 20, he rose in the lift again to bring the bags back down. Wilhelm had approached Roxbury First Selectman Barbara Henry, who approved the pollination project to be carried out on town land.

http://www.countytimes.com/news/in-roxbury-chestnut-tree-could-be-key-to-bringing-back/article_55c14222-2b30-556c-8a4a-5500fd1353da.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

''

Team Trees: YouTube star MrBeast launches campaign to plant 20 million trees, Tobi Lutke, Susan Wojcicki, Elon Musk, Jack Dorsey donate

https://www.monstersandcritics.com/people/team-trees-youtube-star-mrbeast-launches-campaign-to-plant-20-million-trees-tobi-lutke-susan-wojcicki-elon-musk-jack-dorsey-donate/

Quote from: undefinedTeam Trees is a tree-planting initiative to combat climate change started by the YouTube star MrBeast. YouTuber MrBeast, whose real name is Jimmy Donaldson, launched the tree-planting campaign on October 25 to celebrate reaching 20 million subscribers on YouTube.

The idea initially came from one of his fans, who suggested he could celebrate reaching 20 million subscribers by planting 20 million trees.

MrBeast and YouTuber Mark Rober partnered with Arbor Day Foundation to raise the money and get the trees planted. And since MrBeast announced the goal of planting 20 million trees, the YouTube community mobilized to support him.
All the money raised by the Team Trees campaign will go to the Arbor Day Foundation, a U.S.-based non-profit organization that focuses on planting trees to combat climate change.

donate here https://teamtrees.org/ 

speaking of trees, do any of y'all click on The Rainforest Site
each click supposedly saves 21.78 square feet of rainforest!
me -There's a season?