News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Spey casting?

Started by BRFFF, April 23, 2015, 21:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BRFFF

Anybody do it?

I'm planning on going to fish River Tweed in Scotland in 2016,so I bought a 14' 9 wt. to try and learn to Spey cast as that's the only way they will let you catch salmon over there.

Thinking about swinging flies for smallies on the new for starters, but could use some instruction / advice first.

Holler

driver

The trick is, on your forward cast not to to move just the tip of the rod, but the whole rod. Basically you want to push you hands straight out when you cast.

I'm by no means a expert but, the only time I ever cast a TH rod this is what I was taught and I got it down pretty quick.  And those Scots will show you how its done. If you can understand them.

Transylwader

Anchor casting ain't nuthin but a thang. Scotland you say? I got a cousin who lives in Inverness and whoops some Atlantic slamo ass on the spray pole.
The Tweed sucks bray. Check out this site: http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/salmonfishing-northscotland.htm Nice hotspotters interactive map. Because Scotty is so damn small, there are no secrets.
I'd practise casting on your "secret" river, maybe conjure Fred up on a Jock Scott.

sanjuanwormhatch

It's fun.  And pretty natural once you get the physics of it all.  I just sold a switch rod because I never got to properly use it but will probably get one of those glass echo rods as soon as I can justify it.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Transylwader on April 24, 2015, 07:51:57 AM
Anchor casting ain't nuthin but a thang. Scotland you say? I got a cousin who lives in Inverness and whoops some Atlantic slamo ass on the spray pole.
The Tweed sucks bray. Check out this site: http://www.trout-salmon-fishing.com/salmonfishing-northscotland.htm Nice hotspotters interactive map. Because Scotty is so damn small, there are no secrets.
I'd practise casting on your "secret" river, maybe conjure Fred up on a Jock Scott.

I've got a relative who is Gamekeeper on Tweed! p;-
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Whorvis outfit came with a Skagit... will be trying it out on some waters, swinging a clouser for smallies???
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

sanjuanwormhatch

I caught quite a few smallies on my switch rod.  It was fun.

Peddler

How about we meet up soon so we can swap some of those morels for some spey casting lessons?
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Woolly Bugger

My morel patch may be gone until next year... but I might take you up on casting destructions...

me -There's a season?

Peddler

Just let me know Woolly. I'm no pro at spey casting but can certainly share what I've learned and use.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Woolly Bugger

I took it out for a spin... I pretty much suck.... didn't learn a damn thing watching videos...

me -There's a season?