Soho Siberian express

Started by troutphisher, December 21, 2008, 21:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Keith and I fished the soho today. Keith was on the water at 7:00am and I showed up a little after 9:00am.
I didn't have any flouro tippet material left and wanted to pick some up on the way, but It turns out I didn't need it.

We I arrive on the water I knew it was going to be a tough day. The water was stained a funky milk/blue color. Visibility was only about a foot on the right bank, but the opposite bank was much clearer, not crystal clear but better than the left bank side.  The air temp was cool and dropping by the hour. It was so cold that I had to get a wind breaker jacket out of my car, just to keep the chill off my bones. The wind was howling all day and it made it very difficult to cast.

We fished a run thats been pretty good as of late, and Keith was on his game. He had the fish dialed in and was hooking up with almost every drift. Keith had the set just right, he used a couple of split shot to get down to what I think was clear water, but what ever it was it worked.

Later we moved up stream and fished another area. I started fishing a riffle section and managed a couple of nice browns. They had deep colors and fine (small) red spots. They were a lot fine in size and pattern, then I had seem before. I had a blast fishing the riffles, but had to use a low side arm cast to cut the wind.

We both had some more fish, then decided to move back down stream and fish another section. By this time the temps had really dropped and the wind kicked up a notch. Icing wasn't a problem in the morning, but it started to show up around noon. It was the wind causing the icing on the top guide and the tree to four snake guides below.

Near then end of the day, I finally gave in and used some split shot to get my fly's down and managed a couple more browns, but the extreme cold Finlay got to us when it was to dark to see the indicators and we called it a day. Walking back to the cars was brutal, I got a brain freeze just from breathing the air, That sharp pain between the eyes, like you just ate to much ice cream in one bite, it sucked.

It took about an hour to warm up on the way home.

But I was a great day to be out on the water and fish. We had the place to ourselves most of the day, only one other hard core showed up, but didn't stay long....to cold for him....LOL

Here are some pic's of the day
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Fire-Fly

Looks like the fish were cooperative. Glad ya'll could get out.

WRector

There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

benflyfishn

That brown looks like it has the measles  ;hb
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

Woolly Bugger

When I planned this trip the forecast was for low 40s and 50% chance of rain. The Saturday update stated high in the 40s cooling all day to a low in the 20s with 18 mph winds...  I was already in town so what to do but fish. I was streamside at morning twilight and caught my first fish of the day by 7:30. The day began peacefully and I watch a kingfisher working the shallows behind me and upstream a heron was stalking his breakfast. The first couple of hours of the dawn proved to be awesome fishing. I caught a couple of dozen and had a couple of freight trains on the line. One powered his way all over the stream like a nuclear submarine. I never saw the fish only felt its power. All too quickly the #18 fly pulled free.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Thinks began to slow down as the sun rose over the hills and cast a glare on the stream. I was thinking about moving to a different section when Karl hiked down to the stream.  I think he brought the wind with him, for shortly after he arrived it began to howl and the temps began to drop.  I don't recall exactly when I began appearing in the guides but I'm pretty sure there was a little icing in the morning.

We moved around a bit on the stream, Karl got into some decent fish in a riffle and I manages a couple along with a hook up with a major head shaker who broke off.

Later the conditions deteriorated to basic survival. The wind was picking the fly line up off the water preventing full drifts and I suspended all attempts at creative photography. You really really  didn't want to get your hands wet.  We toughed it out to sunset and called it quits when numb fingers refused to tie knots. 

yes it was cold!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

glassfisher

Thanks for sharing, wish I could have been out there too.  Back to visitin with the in-laws..  o-o
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Beetle

These pics look recycled.  :P I think you boys just went to Johnson City to drink. 

Stone-Man

Pretty fish Yawl.  Scotty and I fished it on Thursday when all that fresh muddy water was really pouring into it and the fishing was very tuff.  I think we had 8 fish between us. All of which came on deep nymphs.
  It is the "MO" lead season now for the next 3 months unless you stumble into some BWO's

JT

Stuart R.

I know that tree in the 8th pic down, nice run BTW. Looks like a solid day of fishing.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.