News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

It's weenie time

Started by possessed, May 16, 2011, 15:01:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

possessed

As I was driving up the Forest Road today, green worms were falling out of the trees and landing on my truck.  Although I knew a weenie would be the ticket, I started with a standard wolfe and BHHE dropper.  After about 20 minutes and nothing but a single rise to the dry, I tied on a #12 foam winged caddis and a #10 BH green weenie.  I was quickly in to the fish.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

A hatchery brook trout.  I was fishing a wild stream.  The stream I was fishing is a tributary of a stocked stream.  The stocked water is 5 miles downstream with numerous barrier falls.  Did this guy really swim that far up or is he a product of "bucket biology"?  We have had a lot of high water, so I guess it's possible he swam that far and was able to get up and over all the barriers.  I have caught bunch of fish in the stream and this is the first ever hatchery fish I have encountered.

I am also thinking this guy looks a bit like a stocker, but he could be wild.

The rainbows love the weenie.

This brown is no monster, but he was the best fish of the day.

A few more pics.

No monsters, but the numbers were good.  They were very aggressive, striking with great vengeance and furious anger.  No fish were caught on the dry, all on the weenie.  I had a few strikes and hookups on the dry, but none landed.

diaz dassie

Weenies? Bastage! Nice work Mike, now when we gonna sore lip the speckled swines in Haywood mate?

MBB

Nice fish and beautiful photographs.  Sounds like you had a fantastic day.

Regarding those stocked brook trout, they are runners.  Once I was fishing Deep Creek and caught a stocker brook up above Bryson Place near the Left Fork of Deep Creek confluence. 

possessed

Yep, that is true.  I know a guy that caught two stockers way up Bradley Fork, many miles above the Tribal section of the Oconaluftee.

lostnwilderness

good looking fish, awesome looking stream!
"I read The Bible once. You know God and Jesus and all them apostles? They were all fishermen, just like me. Yeah, straight to heaven for Mick Dundee. Yep, me and God... We'd be mates."

benben reincarnated

Good looking chit, I'm jealous.  Gotta love the weenie, I've never thrown a #10 size on a wild stream, might have to up-it next time. 

I was about 2 seconds away from hitting a stream after work yesterday but somehow talked myself out of it.   b';

possessed

Quote from: benben on May 17, 2011, 06:57:08 AM
Good looking chit, I'm jealous.  Gotta love the weenie, I've never thrown a #10 size on a wild stream, might have to up-it next time. 

I was about 2 seconds away from hitting a stream after work yesterday but somehow talked myself out of it.   b';

I normally throw #12 wieners, but I got some #10's for $3.00 a dozen shipped.   -0-

benben reincarnated

Quote from: possessed on May 17, 2011, 15:53:14 PM
Quote from: benben on May 17, 2011, 06:57:08 AM

I normally throw #12 wieners, but I got some #10's for $3.00 a dozen shipped.   -0-

Sweet deal.  You get em off Ebay?  I stocked up 6 months or so ago from a guy off ebay, think I paid about that too...steal of a deal, can't tie them that cheap practically.