Return to walleye world

Started by itieuglyflies, July 27, 2019, 10:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

This year ten of us once again made the unbelievably long trip north of Montreal in two vehicles with a trailer along with gear and food
You cannot view this attachment.
Last 12 miles is on a dirt road that leads to base camp where with pick up boats for additional one hour boat ride to the same old cabin we have used for over 20 years. Propane is used for lights, hot water and frig. We actually stay quite comfortable

Where we fish there are two lakes connected by a river about 16 miles long. The 9.5 hp motors certainly don't get you there fast but with rocks everywhere it likely saves equipment damage for the outfitter. The scenery and wildness of the place is pretty special. Wildlife is surprisingly scarce, a loon here and there, two gulls on the whole lake, one eagle, a few white throated sparrows and little else? We did have a bear walk by the cabin one morning, looked in the front window and wandered off back into his world.
After over twenty years on the lake with much of it staring at a depth finder I have located some areas that hold tremendous numbers of fish....best day this year in my boat we had 103. Most fish are 15-18 inches but enough in the 20-26 inch range to keep it interesting. And yes I have and can catch them on a fly but I can really catch them on a light jig, leech or crawler harness.
Pike are in good numbers but only a few guys actively fish for them. I did have a good one eat a 14 inch walleye. Yep,I landed both of them, photo on buddies cell phone, will try to get it.

The weather this far north seems to chance constantly some days beautiful others down right nasty. For three days last week we did have a fire in the woodstove which was nice knowing temps at home were in the 90's.

And yes we eat walleye, the outfitter says eat only those 12-18 inches, release the rest and we do just that. Walleye and spaghetti had it.

Once again a fun trip at surprisingly low cost, with good fishing,good friends but brutal travel.

Footnote: travel that far into the wilderness see little game and return home to the city to find these two headed for my tomatoes in the back yard.

Onslow

Damn.  I want some of that.  Nice lake pics!

I wanna do a week on the Allagash before I die.

Phil

Good Lord, Fred. Awesome is about all I can say. Thanks for taking us there!  bd;0  bd;0  'c;

Woolly Bugger

wow! great stuff right there Fred!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Oh yeah! Beautiful country up there! Walleyes are one of my favorite fish to catch, and definitely one of my favorite fish to eat. I used to spend a lot of summer nights here on our western NC lakes catching walleye.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

BTW, Fred. Cornus canadensis, Bunchberry for the win.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

A trip up north is on my list.  Especially for pike and musky in those lakes.  Any musky in the lakes you fished?

itieuglyflies

No muskies in the two lakes we fish.....but I must say those northerns are viscous. On our last day I was sitting in the boat taking rigs apart while tied up to the dock. I just dropped a worm rig (no worm on it)over the side of the boat to keep it from hooking me while I untied the other end from the three way swivel.
Well as I lifted it from the water a pike shoots out from under the dock and attacked, lucky he missed getting hooked or biting my hand. I yelled and the guys on the dock pointed out that he was just lying there not three feet off the back of my boat. One cast with a spoon and his ass was caught! Bad dudes and they show little caution. A few years back two of our guys had kept three or four walleye to eat and had them on a chain stringer over the side of their boat. Chain starts making noise and lo and behold a three foot northern was trying to eat one of the fish on their stringer! I guess I should fish for them more than I do.

Stone-Man

Dang,
 I just now saw this.   Great trip and obviously great fishing.  I have caught northerns in the St. Lawrence seaway. The locals make fish soup out of them which is pretty damn good.

JT

NCsporksman

Hell yea, that's some cold ass warm water. I've set a goal to eat a walleye this year, are they really as good as Gayson hypes them up to be? 

NCsporksman

Also, who's hunting your tomato patch and how can I replace them?

Michael Toris

The eye has moved up to #1 for me in all categories. Good shit