Anyone tried this product?

Started by Hugh Hartsell, December 02, 2005, 09:32:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Hartsell

:D I was over at Little River Outfitters this week and Byron Begley gave me a new thread to use. I was looking for Bennecchi 12/0 thread and he had been given some by the manufacturer. I have use this thread before and liked it , especially for midges. One of the spools happens to be Ghost Thread 01- Clear. Has anyone tried it?
     Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

phishfool_98

I tie saltwater flys with a 3/0 clear mono. Havn't seen anything clear for small stuff. Would be interested in it though. Let us know what you think about it.

phish

FT

I"d like to know how it does too. 
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

rivetlber

Bennecchi is the only thread I use. but never have seen the clear. He who is not to be named carried Bennecchi and that is where I bought all my thread. Guess I will have to find another place to buy it. Also let us all know how the clear does.

flyman

Is that Roman Moser's thread? I use some clear threads, never tried that type. Send me a couple dozen spools in assorted colors and I'll let you know what i think ;)
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Hugh Hartsell

:D Steve, that is not a Roman Moser's thread unless they own some part of the Bennecchi company. This material is new to me. I have used the Bennecchi thread for a couple of years and it is the first time that I've seen this product. It looks at first glance like an extremely fine leader material or tippet, yet it has the qualities of a tying thread. It is very strong and my thoughts were "I'm heading to the South Holston with this stuff". It feels like it would test out at 4-6lb. test. Even with this Coolpix 995 that I took the picture with, you can barely see it. It has several wraps to secure the head down and 3 whip finishing wraps. Here it is.
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

rivetlber

phg

Bennecchi thread is GSP.  In it's natural form, it would be about the color of a standard milk jug. Is that what you have?  I'll bet it would make great furled leaders. ;D

Bob, what's wrong with saying that you used to buy your tying materials from Marty?  I got a lot of stuff from Marty myself.....

flyman

Oops, I thought it was something other than Benecchi. Benecchi makes a GSP and a polyester thread. I've been using clear and colored mono to over-wrap the bodies on some midge patterns like these. Yours with the KF wings look like they'll make good pupa imitaions

http://www.danica.com/flytier/dyocum/mono_midge.htm
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Mstash

I tie saltwater flys with a 3/0 clear mono

I'm getting into the Salt tying

What brand of thread you use

Thanks
Mstash

phishfool_98

What I have is some that is sold by orvis size 6/0. I mainly use danvill flat waxed nylon for salt water flys though.
Here is a link to the orvis mono thread I have used
http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=02RR&feature_id=&dir_id=1273&group_id=1274&cat_id=5078&subcat_id=6169&shop_id=

phish

phg

I use either Danville 3/0 or Flymaster +plus+ for larger flys (size 6 or larger) which includes all my saltwater flys.  Strength isn't really the issue, it's how long it takes to cover the hook shank! o-o  Big flys can get very tedious! :-\