News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

barely a TR

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 19, 2013, 13:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Rhody and I hit the New at the low water bridge in the morning and fished hard for five hours before invoking rule #11.

We then moved up to the south fork and finished the day without any improvements.

Bug for Mudflap to ID!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

It looks like a small female Isonychia spinner. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on September 20, 2013, 10:04:27 AM
It looks like a small female Isonychia spinner.

Due to the dual-colored fore-limbs, this was the way I was leaning as well

Woolly Bugger

I just called it a Rusty Spinner :P and Rhody said it was a Mahogany Dun /'/

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 20, 2013, 17:06:22 PM
I just called it a Rusty Spinner :P and Rhody said it was a Mahogany Dun /'/

This is ironic evidence that it takes 2 Carolina anglers to correctly answer an angling question, where it only takes one from VA or TN.  It is not rusty and it is not a dun.  It is a Mahogany Spinner.

Go Yellow Jackets!  Beat those cheaters!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

benben reincarnated

Rhody

frickin fish weren't eating them, and like most of my sets I was a little late in the game on the id, got used to using the mahogany dun term for all flying bugs this color out west this summer

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

The Dude

I've never seen a bigger, more concentrated mayfly hatch than isonychiia on South Holston @ Buller on a rainy day in September a few years ago.  There were also a few slate drakes mixed in.  What a day!
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Michael Toris

Quote from: The Dude on September 21, 2013, 09:55:00 AM
I've never seen a bigger, more concentrated mayfly hatch than isonychiia on South Holston @ Buller on a rainy day in September a few years ago.  There were also a few slate drakes mixed in.  What a day!

Slate Drake = Isonychiia

The Dude

Quote from: wildmttrout on September 21, 2013, 13:15:31 PM

Slate Drake = Isonychiia

Hmmm, maybe I was off in my assessment.  The slate drake duns were fewer than the masses of mahogany spinners, but moreso, the slate drakes that I saw that day were certainly larger than the spinners.  Maybe the spinners were something else?
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Michael Toris

Quote from: The Dude on September 23, 2013, 05:40:29 AM
Quote from: wildmttrout on September 21, 2013, 13:15:31 PM

Slate Drake = Isonychiia

Hmmm, maybe I was off in my assessment.  The slate drake duns were fewer than the masses of mahogany spinners, but moreso, the slate drakes that I saw that day were certainly larger than the spinners.  Maybe the spinners were something else?

E. invaria (Lt. Hendrickson) has a rusty colored male spinner which is slightly smaller.

Transylwader

Looks like a bug I regularly swat at. Out here in the east, the fishes DONT CARE what you throw at them, they will eat. Enough with anal insect identification. Im trying to figure out where to get soft shell crabs...

The Dude

Quote from: Transylwader on September 23, 2013, 09:10:17 AM
Looks like a bug I regularly swat at. Out here in the east, the fishes DONT CARE what you throw at them, they will eat. Enough with anal insect identification. Im trying to figure out where to get soft shell crabs...

Tough to get them this time of year - April is much better.  You need a good bait shop that has a dealer who takes the time to trick them into peeler throughout the year.  Those are rare.  You looking in Raleigh?

Transylwader

Quote from: The Dude on September 23, 2013, 09:19:31 AM
Quote from: Transylwader on September 23, 2013, 09:10:17 AM

Tough to get them this time of year - April is much better.  You need a good bait shop that has a dealer who takes the time to trick them into peeler throughout the year.  Those are rare.  You looking in Raleigh?
everywhere. Was in. Charleston 3 weeks ago. Nada. Harris Teeter has em bit it'll have the same effect the following morning as a 24pk of Peebers...