News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Gear Reviews / Re: Rain Gear Repair
Last post by troutboy_II - January 25, 2024, 15:41:39 PM
PS - Just checked the Pataguci website and they have the old style Torrentshell (like I just bought) for $106 with free shipping if you wink at them.  Pretty good deal even if you weren't stranded in a snowstorm.

My .02>

TB

Last post by troutboy_II - January 25, 2024, 15:31:38 PM
If you are asking me, the recoated jacket is working well with no "wetted out" spots noted.  That being said, on a trip to DC a week ago, forgot my coat when I knew it was going to rain/snow!!  b';  Friends we stayed with live in Georgetown where there is a Patagonia store (who knew of such a thing?).  Bought a new one on sale for $100.  This was last year's model which I like better.  Current year model has flashy waterproof zipper that stands proud and loud.  I'm sure it works well, but I am not a fan of the look.  I just prefer a more traditional look.

My sale model sheds the crap out of water/snow.  Goes to show that the wash-in recoat, as good and cheap as it is, still doesn't bring it back all the way.  I wonder if they use any pressure when applying the original coat?  Sure is stiff and I assume that is because it really is in there!

Anyway, now can use my old coat for fishing, if I ever get back out there!

That's my report.

TB

Last post by Woolly Bugger - January 25, 2024, 14:37:54 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 05, 2023, 11:44:02 AMI have an LL Bean Goretex paclite rain jacket, its about 12 years old best guess. The other day on the Smith it "wetted out" and didn't breathe properly, therefore the inside became wet. It was still better than not wearing it though. It was time to wash it and reactivate the DWR (durable water resistance) coating of the fabric. This is done by either low heat in the dryer or ironing. I stuck it in the dryer and while the coating appeared to be renewed, it also melted off some of the seam tape. Crap! I think I have some wader repair tape, not sure if its heat activated or needs to be applied with aquaseal.

Gave the recoated jacket a test yesterday / 4 hours in a light drizzle / enough to have the hood on but didn't need to zip up the front.

Water beaded up pretty well on the sleeves, hood and front where I could see ... after a while I noticed some areas weren't looking so good and had started to wet out!

I may give it the wash in treatment or buy a new jacket

Saw a torrent pataguchi for $88 — it's a two tone model but what the heck! @greg how do you like your jacket so far?
Gear Reviews / Re: Simms or Orvis LW boots
Last post by Onslow - January 10, 2024, 07:15:01 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on January 09, 2024, 19:33:22 PM
Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2024, 17:45:30 PMForgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....

I loved felt. Loved. Loooved.
This old guy quit felt because:

No snow traction.
Poor mud/slick slope traction.
Some states outlawing it.
I've thrown two felt soles. If it had happened miles in on the trail...
Rubber soles have evolved. Much stickier.
Still using studs.
My wading has slowed down. I'm more careful by default.
I rarely fish without a staff.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Spring of 2023 while making my way down a steep grassy embankment, my felt shoes came out from under me not far above some basketball size rip rap. My feet hit the rocks while I was travelling considerable speed, maybe 8 mph while sliding on my arse. This seemingly minor incident caused considerable pain, and probably nearly broke my ankle.

I'm done with felt as well.

I have to be mindful the shape of the toebox.  Bunions, Morton's neuroma and wading don't mix well. I press on anyway. I may try the Orvis boot someday provided I'm still able to wade at all.
Last post by Dougfish - January 09, 2024, 23:10:32 PM
And they are lighter.
Every pound you take off your shoes, equals 5 pounds off a load on your back.
Last post by Phil - January 09, 2024, 19:50:15 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on January 09, 2024, 19:33:22 PM
Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2024, 17:45:30 PMForgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....

No snow traction.
Still using studs.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Ok, some of that I can get. You say they've evolved? Hmmm. I haven't tried any in about 10 years.
Last post by Dougfish - January 09, 2024, 19:33:22 PM

No snow traction.
Still using studs.

To each, his own.
Your miles may vary.

Last post by Phil - January 09, 2024, 17:45:30 PM
Forgive me for asking, but why not ol'felt soles with studs? Boy, they sure grip better than rubber for this old guy. I do dip them in clorox water after use on streams with didymo....
Last post by Onslow - January 09, 2024, 16:25:50 PM
I ended up purchasing a pair of Redington benchmark boots with rubber soles.  Not exactly lightweight, but I need a big toe box. Will compose a review later.