Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Grrrrr, ya can't fight Mother Nature b';.  After looking at all the rain we have had so far and the projection of a lot more before Hurricane Micheal gets finished with us we have decided to CANCEL the SRTU Fish with a Friend event. The Smith River is  close to flood stage now and it is doubtful it will be fishable Saturday morning.

We do want extend our appreciation to Philpott Operations Manager Chris Powell and others for working with us to adjust the generation schedule to accommodate wade fishermen. Your willingness to work with recreational users of the river does not go unnoticed. 

If you need more info feel free to contact Al Kittredge aakitt@earthlink.net  or Joe May jmaydoc@hotmail.com
Pyscho Fly Fishers / Re: PFF V-38 Recap
« Last post by Phil on October 10, 2018, 16:36:07 PM »
Yeah, Fred -- it wasn't a good weekend for rods. I broke my brand new Recon as well, Damn it.
Other than that, a mighty fine trip!

Guests can't see images. Please login or login

« Last post by itieuglyflies on October 10, 2018, 15:43:46 PM »
My summary of the weekend-

Good food, Phil's coffee pot always on, great  sleeping by the river, Ralph sharing some of us his special crack (Trout Crack flies- what were you thinking?),
great campfire music, getting fussed at by Bob, weird rules on where we could park or put our tents, some great, some not so good fishing, Jack's casting
lessons, seeing JT up and around and when I got home.........my gear was DRY! It was a great weekend.

Lesson learned - breaking down the 10 ft fly rod and leaving it on the roof of the car when you drive off is not recommended.
« Last post by Woolly Bugger on October 10, 2018, 15:11:48 PM »

looks like a grand time and I would have been over ifin Driver hadn't called and offered up a salty trip. Only caught one fish on the day, a baby blue...

see ya'll in the spring time......
Pyscho Fly Fishers / PFF V-38 Recap
« Last post by thelow on October 10, 2018, 08:05:36 AM »
HOT HOT HOT weather

Great to see old friends but as Bob said we missed a lot of regulars

Fishing hard and not catching a single fish at camp

Thanks to all the helpers and cleaners it made cooking dinner easy

Fishing Stoney with Bob, catching some smaller ones and some drinks and bearing witness to Bob's massive brown trout. 

Talking about the old days and passing the shine

Great breakfast!

Catching 1 fish on Saturday (to keep my non skunk streak alive) on Bob's rod, with Bob's fly where he said to try. 

Good to see JT and Carol even for just a little while. 

Roll casting with Alan

Jack's casting lesson "STOP that rod ROB!"

Awesome chilli for dinner Saturday

Listening to Cuzy and Phil "around the fire" it was great!

Saying good bye to everyone Sunday morning and camping alone was interesting.

Camped, caught fish, drank, ate, and laughed... another successful PFF!

Thanks to everyone who worked to get this organized etc!

PFF Fall 18 by rjeeves, on Flickr

Did you ever want to fish the Smith River which runs through Bassett / Martinsville VA but didn't know the access points or heard it was a difficult stream to fish?  Or maybe you give it a try but came away scratching your head. An opportunity to shorten your learning curve is coming up on Saturday, October 13th. Smith River Trout Unlimited (SRTU) will host a "Fish with a Friend" event where "Smith River Regulars" will pair up with outsiders and friends to show them some of the secrets of the river which is know as one of Virginia's premier trout streams.

We'll meet at 8:30am at the Bassett Canoe Access (Trent Hill Canoe Ramp), 271 Trent Hill Drive, off Route 57 in north Bassett behind the old burned out chair factory and fan out from there.

If you are able to link up with a SRTU member beforehand that is great but if not please don't allow that to intimidate you. We will shake your hand, do some introductions, and pair you up with one of our members.  Please bring your own gear  - but if you don't have items like a fly rod or waders/boots we will have a few gently used ones which we can loan you.

For our regular members - if you have a spare rod or waders/boots which you do not mind sharing please bring them.

We'll break at noon and assemble at Papa's Pizza for complementary pizza and drink. Some will likely continue fishing after lunch.

If you need more info feel free to contact Al Kittredge aakitt@earthlink.net  or Joe May jmaydoc@hotmail.com
 0:0 good work gents!  'c;
Al, dougfish, driver and other guys got er done.Guests can't see images. Please login or login

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

Trout Unlimited/Fly Fishing Federation / Re: Smith River Clean Up - This Saturday, 29th
« Last post by driver on September 28, 2018, 08:03:17 AM »
I was going to try... but chances are slim now, due to a sick child.
Trout Unlimited/Fly Fishing Federation / Re: Smith River Clean Up - This Saturday, 29th
« Last post by Al on September 28, 2018, 06:52:25 AM »
Bumping to the top - Love to see some of you folks giving a little time back to the area.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10