Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Warm Water / Re: Carp — unlimited
« Last post by BRFFF on October 22, 2018, 17:55:57 PM »
The cold snap has chilled and cleared the pond waters, visibility is at a peak but unfortunately only one inaccessible fish was spotted during today’s visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The bar is open.... / Re: For the love of guns
« Last post by rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
If you are getting that kind of accuracy out of a .30-06 700, you should be able to hit a 16 inch plate at 1,000 yards.  I'm impressed.  I haven't stretched the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor  out yet (been a busy year) but I'd be happy if it shot that good at 200 yards.

Best I have shot is 5" groups at 600yds. Not really consistently, either.  Human-sized targets - yes. 

That doesn't really translate into 16" groups at 1,000.  Too many variables at that distance to be consistent. 

Lots of folks are loving the 6.5 Creedmoor guns.  If it doesn't shoot that well at 200, I'll be shocked.  If not, bench time will fix that.  Breathing, trigger control, good optics, and hand loading are the solutions to long shots.  Today's manufacturing tolerances are much better than they used to be.  Ammunition is better than it ever has been.

Accurizing, blueprinting, etc isn't necessary for long shots like it used to be. 

If I wanted a long-range hunting rifle these days, I would save my pennies and have a Jarrett built.  Long Ranger or find a good used action and have them make a Beanfield model.

http://www.jarrettrifles.com/rifle-models.html

I've sunk all my gun time and money into sporting clays the last several years.  I enjoy it more and spend more time with friends that way.  And teaching and coaching in the discipline is much more enjoyable than poking holes in paper to me.

Raymond
« Last post by Big J on October 19, 2018, 10:35:00 AM »
If you are getting that kind of accuracy out of a .30-06 700, you should be able to hit a 16 inch plate at 1,000 yards.  I'm impressed.  I haven't stretched the Ruger 6.5 Creedmoor  out yet (been a busy year) but I'd be happy if it shot that good at 200 yards.
« Last post by rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 10:03:56 AM »
Is that 5 shot group at 200 yards or 100 yards?  If that is a 100 yard group, that is really good.  If it is a 200 yard group, I'm going to ask what you did to the 700 to get those results.

That is 200yds off a bench. I usually have a sandbag, but I just rolled up the case and stuck it under the forearm. 

I used to shoot 600yds with this gun.  I always wanted to step up to 1,000yds, but the $$$ was out of my range at the time.  And I've never had time to develop hand loads.

Sold the Jewel trigger, re-worked the stock one; sold the competition stock setup, put a Magpul hunter on it (after years of running it with the factory wood that I glass-bedded); kept the receiver and bolt and put a new scope on it.

She's a tack driver.

One day I'll build a 1,000 yd gun . . . maybe.

Saw a big doe the other evening after bush hogging at a friend's farm.  She was 350+ yds away and if I had a tag, I would have thought about it. 

But probably not taken the shot.  I haven't put anything downrange at that distance in years and I hate to wound deer.  If I can't be confident it will fall where I shoot it, I'm probably not taking the shot.

I hate chasing deer.  I usually take head shots.  Never going to take anything to a taxidermist.

Raymond
« Last post by Phil on October 19, 2018, 10:02:22 AM »
200 yards?? That's friggin' awesome shooting.  bd;0

<Regretting my post/pic of  my "scattergun" results>
« Last post by Big J on October 19, 2018, 08:51:30 AM »
Is that 5 shot group at 200 yards or 100 yards?  If that is a 100 yard group, that is really good.  If it is a 200 yard group, I'm going to ask what you did to the 700 to get those results. 
« Last post by rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 07:48:36 AM »
I'm behind the times, as is typical, but I only this week got to take the rifle to the woods - in search of coyote not deer.

Sighting in was fun:

Starting point - 150 gr Hornady SST from the Rem 700 .30-06

Guests can't see images. Please login or login

That is a 2" target circle at 200yds.  Not bad to start.

Finished with this 5-shot group - look closely, that 5th one is on the black line at 7 o-clock to the orange target(flier on left is from sighting in 165gr in same rifle, bottom one is the .308)

Going after hogs tomorrow.

Fishing, or at least dreaming of fishing, while drinking beer on Sunday!
« Last post by rbphoto on October 19, 2018, 07:11:52 AM »
Got timed at the range today. 10 yards. Draw, fire 8 rounds in under 5 seconds, drop mag and put new one in, 7 rounds in 4 seconds. I missed body mass on the first round of the 2nd mag. Not enough in the center, though. Need more practice.

I wouldn't want to be downrange. 

Nice shooting.
« Last post by Big J on October 18, 2018, 21:10:57 PM »
For ten yards drawing and mag dumping, that’s not bad.  V:;
« Last post by Phil on October 18, 2018, 19:57:57 PM »
Got timed at the range today. 10 yards. Draw, fire 8 rounds in under 5 seconds, drop mag and put new one in, 7 rounds in 4 seconds. I missed body mass on the first round of the 2nd mag. Not enough in the center, though. Need more practice.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10