News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Camping with Toddlers

Started by sanjuanwormhatch, April 20, 2015, 12:36:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sanjuanwormhatch

I am taking my 2.5 y/o on his first "camping" trip in June.  I say "camping" because we're actually renting a yurt.  Most everything will be the same as a standard trip.

Has anyone done this?  Any tips? 

bullship

I took my son last year when he was 3 and we had a great time. I really suck at being prepared and packing appropriately, so we just had the basics. He skipped naps and then crashed harder and faster than he ever has at bedtime without complaint. It's nice to get mom out of the picture sometimes and let the kids know that they can get dirty and eat marshmallows and pee outside and get daddy beers, etc, etc.
my only real advice would be that whatever habits and routines you have at home will inevitably cross over somehow. If your kid is used to and expects a bunch of creature comforts then you better fucking bring them. I didn't, but we dont do that at home either. My buddy brought an air mattress, sound machine, some tablet thing with movies, and a bunch of toys. I brought hot dogs and a hatchet. My kid slept great and was happy. His kid screamed for an hour at bedtime.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Grannyknot

We camp with our kids all the time.
It seems easy, but my wife does most of the work.
Wish I could give you more advice, but I kind of suck at parenting.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Shane

Some of you are familiar with my suitcase. When the kids were little, I would fill it with candy and they could have all they wanted on camping trips

sanjuanwormhatch

Good advice all.  Thanks.  Really intrigued by the slingshots.

I read a few "mommy blogs" (never again) and the gist was "DO EVERYTHING YOU DO AT HOME."  I'm thinking this is more fuck the rules lets get dirty kind of trip.  Within reason. 

Our yurt appears to have a futon type thing.  Probably just put some sheets on that and put him in there (like I said, "camping").  Tentative plan is to get there mid morning.  Stomp around.  Eat lunch.  Maybe have some "quiet time" but was also thinking of skipping nap.  (I can keep him excited enough to not realize he's bone tired in the afternoon).  Maybe make some cheeseburgers that night drink a few beers and then go to bed a little early.  Cook breakfast in the morn.  But no one cares about that.  More just rambling.   

Dougfish

Just wear the little fucker out. Yurts are good for running laps.

sanjuanwormhatch

sanjuanwormhatch

benben reincarnated

Best of luck.  I'm sure it will be a blast.

Big J

Good luck.  Look forward to hearing how it went.

natureboy

You got this, man.  Don't forget the smores.  We bought our little guy (2.5 also) a snazzy LL Bean sleeping bag for Christmas.  He gets pretty fired up about taking that and going camping.  In fact, he periodically has to lay it out and sleep on the floor and "camp".

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

sanjuanwormhatch

Almost forgot smores shit.  I need to start making a list. 

Shane

bikes can be fun around a campground