Greetings from the armpit of Asia

Started by troutfanatic, November 09, 2011, 14:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfanatic

Hello to all.

Thought it was about time to log in before I get locked out, booted or whatever gets done to the deadbeats. I am 2 months into my latest Afghan adventure. I miss beer, real food, sex, sleep, my kids, my dogs and of course fishing. It's all about 18 hour days, seven days a week. The weather is still pretty fair here in Kandahar and the taliban like to remind us of that. Kandahar airfield gets a good bit of rain... in the form of rockets.  They don't do much but piss people off. The jibs are all gooned up on opium and hash as they celebrate Eid. I haven't gotten out beyond here much but it is far worse out there. I know our beloved media is either ignoring this war or painting a picture of rainbows and unicorns as NOV 2012 approaches. I wish I could say it was true; but, it isn't. Seems like each morning when I look at the flag, it's at half mast. To top it off, we are beginning to cut forces in a couple of months... like the war is over or it's an election year coming.
Okay enough doom and gloom. I hope all are doing well and that the fall weather is driving some good runs back home. I am going to do my mid-tour in late feb/early mar; so, leave some damn fish for me please. Of further note, some may remember that I was bringing my vise and kit to tie next year's supply... uh, yeah; I haven't even unppacked it. Gonna be a long year folks.

cheers,
Brian

The Dude

Thank you and your family for all of the sacrifices you make.  You are one of many that I will keep in mind on Veteran's Day.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Transylwader

Hey Brian, good to hear from you man. Thank you for your services. When you're back in town I will make it a point to get you on the holy graile of bluelines.
I liked that comment "jibs are gooned up on Opium" :laugh:
Be safe out there mate ;D

blue ridge angler

Thanks for stopping in, And thank you for your service..
Stay safe, and remember that some great water is waiting for you when you get back..

troutphisher

Hang tight TF, remember the shit ends one day..............
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

The Dude

Quote from: blue ridge angler on November 09, 2011, 16:26:18 PM
remember that some great water is waiting for you when you get back..

I agree with that.  As much as we sometimes forget, those trout streams and the fish swimming in them aren't going away any time soon.  They'll still be here for your enjoyment when you come back.

.....unless the Republicans get their way on environmental policymaking.  (Sorry, I just had to).   :laugh:  Peace in the Middle East!
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Rog 1

Will be thinking of you and all those that are serving with you and those that have served us so well in the past...hope all will save you some unfished waters for your return....you will have deserved it.

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

tnchum

Thank You for your service and dedication.

Stuart R.

Thanks for your service and be safe over there.
Stu
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

kylemc

Thank all you guys for your service and sacrafices. Dude,Troutfanatic,steelrain, You have a seat in the boat and beer is on me.

Thanks again,
               Kyle

Edit: Thank you too Darthmonkey. You are always welcome in the boat but since you have already fished with me, I understand if you decline :D

Trout Maharishi

You and no one else in that country has been forgotten, we pray for you all, and look forward to your safe return every day. Try to help look out for the "new guys", and see you soon.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Get Bent

Yeah man, the war is far from forgotten. Stay safe, and look me up when you get home, I will have an open seat in the boat and some beer for ya.

0:0
Konichiwa Bitches!

The Dude

Quote from: troutfanatic on November 10, 2011, 13:43:50 PM
Thanks guys. I'll pop in from time to time.

I was hoping maybe Chuck M. might be on here. I was thinking that he came back again too? We were both here last time but that was before we met on this forum.

and Dude, no worries on the GoP... just like Obammer; I am not a big fan. Die hard libertarian brother. b';

I agree with the basis of the Libertarian platform, I just don't think there is a realistic way to implement their idealogies into our nation's government.  The system is just too complex and despite their good intentions, it would inevitably morph into another corrupt, ineffective, bastard of a government just like the Dems and Repubs are now.  In 5th grade I ran for treasurer of my elementary school and promised to put soda in the water fountains, an end to homework and bullying, and extend recess by 10 minutes each day.  At the time, I truly believed in my cause.  I won the election, but no soda ever ran from the school drinking fountains, homework kept coming, bullies continued to pick on the dweebs and recess time remained fixed.....despite my best efforts. 

benben reincarnated

Many, many thanks for your service to this fine country and its citizens...right wing, left wing, broken wing, you gotta love em' all.

bd;0