Help with Waders

Started by troutfreak, October 12, 2007, 10:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfreak

Ok guys you have probably answered this question a million times ,but here it goes again.  I am looking for a wader, not to last forever, but hope it does....for less than $100?  Any suggestions? 

peter p

What else do you want in the wader besides the cost?  For example, you want boot foot or stocking foot?  Breathable or don't care? Hip of chest wader? Etc     
Peter

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on October 12, 2007, 10:21:53 AM
Ok guys you have probably answered this question a million times ,but here it goes again.  I am looking for a wader, not to last forever, but hope it does....for less than $100?  Any suggestions? 

See if Troutphisher is willing to part with his LL Bean Specials...

http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=48790&sc1=Search&feat=sr

$59 and FREE Shipping,

but Phish says they breath like a trash bag... :o

But hey if you don't like the Bean will take them back.... ;hb

These may be of better quality and breathability and at your $100 price point...
http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?storeId=1&catalogId=1&langId=-1&categoryId=50071&sc1=Search&feat=sr
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: peter p on October 12, 2007, 10:39:25 AM
What else do you want in the wader besides the cost?  For example, you want boot foot or stocking foot?  Breathable or don't care? Hip of chest wader? Etc     

Yeah, a good pair of boots to go with the waders will set you back $50 ~ $150.... ::)
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutfreak

I like the Emergers myself, just wish I knew of a place within  2hrs of Asheville-WNC I could pick a pair up today????? I will probably order them if not.  Thanks guys.  I got some good boots-Choata's.  I mostly wet wade now, but if I had a pair of waders I never would except in 90 degree weather.

troutfreak

Peter,
Looking for chest I guess.  I mainly fish in lower/smaller streams, but just in case I hit the Tuck every once in while.  I prefer stocking foot.  Thanks, Troutfreak

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on October 12, 2007, 12:07:58 PM
I like the Emergers myself, just wish I knew of a place within  2hrs of Asheville-WNC I could pick a pair up today????? I will probably order them if not.  Thanks guys.  I got some good boots-Choata's.  I mostly wet wade now, but if I had a pair of waders I never would except in 90 degree weather.

I don't think you'll find anything closer than mail-order for that kind of price...

Even Dan Bailey's Bare Bones have gotten rather expensive....@ $130

https://www.dan-bailey.com/Via/viaLauncher.jsp?targetPage=https://www.dan-bailey.com/Via/viaListProducts.jsp&searchText=DB_WADERS_BAREBONES&reqTitle=TITLE_VIAUSERDOCLIST

you may find a local shop that carries them....
me -There's a season?

peter p

I had the lower end Orvis model for a while.  I think they were the clearwater and about $119.  I used to get a lot of leaks in them but the Orvis store would take them back and replace them no questions asked.  I upgraded to the middle level (silver label) and after a few years, now I have a leak in those.  Luckily, I only wear them a few months out of the year.

I was in Curtis Wright in Biltmore on Friday and I know they had a pair of breathables for around $100.  They may have been Hodgeman's.  If you are a TU member, they will give you 10% off everything you buy.     
Peter

Woolly Bugger

I think flyman will sell his hippers for less than $50

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
me -There's a season?

troutfreak

Hodgeman are they a good deal?  I think I can get Hodgeman Breathables at Walmart for $79, but I thought I might need to steer away from them and go with Orvis???  Dang, this is worse than buying a car.  Probably any $100 pair of waders is as good as any.  I dont know why I do this to myself, thinking I'm gonna save a buck.  Anyway, you other guys do this?  Look at internet until you have a headache so bad you cant stand it before you buy.  Dang, are we crazy or what?

troutfreak

Real nice if I had a Harley that would float!  LOL

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on October 12, 2007, 12:33:22 PM
Hodgeman are they a good deal?  I think I can get Hodgeman Breathables at Walmart for $79, but I thought I might need to steer away from them and go with Orvis???  Dang, this is worse than buying a car.  Probably any $100 pair of waders is as good as any.  I dont know why I do this to myself, thinking I'm gonna save a buck.  Anyway, you other guys do this?  Look at internet until you have a headache so bad you cant stand it before you buy.  Dang, are we crazy or what?

1. Cheap Orvis (non-breathable) returned....
2. Streamdise Neoprene 3-years
3. Dan Bailey Barebones - 10 years
4. Simms Guide Weight Pants - Still going strong ( spent $90 getting the booties replaces and tears patched )
5. LL. Bean Wicked Tough Waders ( 1st year and going strong )

me -There's a season?

troutfreak

Looks like my best bet would be the DB's......That is not a bad price!, do you use a wade belt with them?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutfreak on October 12, 2007, 12:47:35 PM
Looks like my best bet would be the DB's......That is not a bad price!, do you use a wade belt with them?

The ones I owned had built in side adjustment pulls and worked pretty well, not as good as a belt would. I don't know if the curren model has those or not....

Belts are a good idea....
me -There's a season?

brownhunter

I have a pair of Simms breathable waders and they are three years old and still going strong. They were only $100, but by far the best that I have tried. Of course, I have only tried three brands, but if you can, I'd go with Simms.

Of course, this is my opinion and nobody has to do what I say.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me