Help on Insects Southwest Virginia Rivers and Fly Selection.

Started by valley996, September 24, 2011, 10:11:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

valley996

I will be fly fishing in the Smith, Roanoke and Jackson rivers of Virginia. I have been reading allot of material but most are geared for western streams. What insects (other than terrestrials) are in my local streams? Are there Mayflys, Caddis, etc. or are we limited to fewer species? Also, what time of the year do they hatch? Also, any advice on fly selection for these rivers. I would really appreciate any help?

Thanks,

Aaron
Edit/Delete Message

benben reincarnated

Would imagine it is similar to around here, with that being said on most wild streams you can go with a para adams or cahill pattern when trout are feeding up top.  Those two have never failed me.  A lot of stuff I tie are just my own variations on hackle and so forth on those basic patterns.  I know a lot of people use hopper patterns too with good success as well as various colored elk hair caddis (never preferred those myself even though I keep a few in my fly box).  For nymph patterns, prince nymph, copper john, and pheasant tails are good go-to patterns.  Most people may have different unique preferences but I think these will be good day-in-day out and won't require you to go broke getting started.

Here is a hatch chart I just found online which may help:

http://www.flyfishingnc.com/fly-bugs/patterns/fly-hatch-chart-north-carolina-smoky-mountains

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: valley996 on September 24, 2011, 10:11:52 AM
I will be fly fishing in the Smith, Roanoke and Jackson rivers of Virginia. I have been reading allot of material but most are geared for western streams. What insects (other than terrestrials) are in my local streams? Are there Mayflys, Caddis, etc. or are we limited to fewer species? Also, what time of the year do they hatch? Also, any advice on fly selection for these rivers. I would really appreciate any help?

Thanks,

Aaron
Edit/Delete Message

what? did you just copy and paste this from another board? who are you? do you have any naked pictures of your wife/girlfriend?
:;!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

valley996

Wooley Booger I can assure you that I am no threat.  I do belong to another board and yes I posted the same question on both.  I am trying to tap into knowledge from both boards.  I m sorry if that offended someone or if I violated some rule.  It was not intentional.  I live in Roanoke and am new to fly fishing.  I just want to learn.  I really don't get the wife/girlfriend naked picture comment.  Maybe I should have just stuck to the other forum.  I was just trying ask a question!

valley996

benben,

thank you for the reply and I will use the chart.

Aaron

troutphisher

Come on Vally boy, everybody had to supply the goods.....

Where are the naked pics?

Do you think we just give information freely here?...what are you a Democrat?...... b';
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

You want info..............we want naked photos of your women :P sounds like a fair trade to me :-*
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

flyfish_va

you have to understand. there is a part of fly fishing that is paying your dues. it takes years to learn some of the things your asking. Alot of us also tie flies that you would not be able to purchase. The best way to learn what the fish are eating is to seine the water in the ripples, most nymphs live in the ripples.  90% of a trouts diet is subsurface, so if they are not rising on something then you should be fishing a nymph. I'm sure you have talked to Tom downtown at the Orvis store, he can help you some. You can also call the Orivs fishing line and ask to speak to me (Mark) or Garett. We fish and guide on the streams you are asking about and would be glad to set you up with the propper stuff. You are gonna need more than just flies.
Dont just a man by the size of his boat, but by the size of his bait !

valley996

Thank you Flyfish Va.  I realize it takes years to learn, but everyone starts off crawling.  I am not asking for secrets only what bugs are in the waters of eastern streams compared to the western ones.  I think we can all remember we had to learn and weren't born with all the knowledge, although I have worked with many who forget that.  Thanks to the ones who helped me and sorry for offending the others!  I am new to fly fishing but have fished my entire life and shared lures and bait with many friends who bass fished with me.  I never hesitated to help someone who had a desire to learn.

flyfish_va

Dougfish

Alright flyfish and valley, I'm a Roanoke boy, too. And I've been spending a lot of time on the Smith. PM me, lets go fishin'! Terrestrials are my main weapons.

flyfish_va

I fish the Jackson out of a raft, but for gas money anybody is welcome on my boat...just send me an email     mark@fishingwithfly.com
probably will go this Sunday, only thing is...you gotta keep my spots secret !

kylemc