News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Recent posts

Warm Water Species / Re: Unlimited Shad
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 20, 2024, 08:06:45 AM
Hickory Shad are being caught on the Neuse River in Kinston!
The Gravel Bar / Re: Ad Update!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 19, 2024, 22:01:42 PM
Amazon did away with their banner ads, its now product specific and I don't have the time or inclination to deal with dealing with it, so there is just the link at the top of the home page.

I somehow got reinstated with google Adsense and ran their ads for a couple of months, but yesterday a problem developed in the BRFFF database and crashed the board, I've removed the ads, may or may not pursue a fix for them.

That is all.... :drum
The Gravel Bar / Re: Tick collection request!
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 19, 2024, 10:02:35 AM
Once while canoe camping on the New there were so many ticks in the field where we camped that we set the dog on a tether and picked the ticks of of his short light colored fur and tossed them into the fire while drinking malt beverages.
Last post by trout-r-us - February 19, 2024, 09:19:32 AM
"Myth No. 2: Ticks jump out of trees to land on their hosts.

Many people believe ticks jump out of trees and land on them, but it turns out they are physically unable to do that."

"I always say 'Don't ruin a good story with the truth,' but they're not raining out of trees on us," Dryden said.

https://www.k-state.edu/today/announcement/?id=14987

The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited odds and ends
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 19, 2024, 09:14:00 AM
Johns River Headwaters in Blowing Rock Permanently Protected

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

On February 9, 2024, Foothills Conservancy acquired and permanently protected a 326-acre tract of land in Blowing Rock, positioned directly on the Blue Ridge Escarpment, which contains the source of the Johns River. This extremely significant parcel of land is a major part of the iconic, expansive mountainous view seen from The Blowing Rock attraction, the oldest travel attraction in North Carolina, as well as from various places along the heavily-traveled US 321 corridor and other locations within the town limits of Blowing Rock. 

The purchase was made possible by state grants from the North Carolina Land and Water Fund and the North Carolina Ecosystem Enhancement Grant program, foundation grants from the Glass Foundation and the Wilson Family Foundation, contributions from conservation philanthropists Fred and Alice Stanback, and Brad and Shelli Stanback, as well as generous donations and support from 97 individuals and local businesses in the Blowing Rock community and other grant funders.

Millions of people receive clean drinking water from the Catawba River, and the Johns River is its longest headwater tributary. This now-protected land also harbors a number of significant natural communities and threatened plant and animal species documented by the North Carolina Natural Heritage Program.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

https://www.foothillsconservancy.org/news2/fcnc-permanently-protects-johns-river-headwaters-in-blowing-rock

Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - February 19, 2024, 08:58:53 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on February 18, 2024, 21:14:40 PMSteve takes good drugs.

Yes, another possible explanation.  I watched a covey of quail in the coals of a campfire for hours while camping on the Jackson back in the 70s; I never smoked my Yankee pal's weed again.  I did witness, while sober, on several occasions of it raining frass from Gypsy Moth larvae in the Shenandoah National Park in the mid-80s. 

Seriously, any tick survey that will provide information and help tell us a story seems like a good idea.  I have no data, but I am a bit sure there are nasties (bacteria, viruses) carried by ticks we have yet to discover.  I rarely have a tick attached because I spray clothing and likely smell or taste bad.  My son, however, was diagnosed with Lyme and Rocky Mountain back in '23.  He is still taking medication for brain fog, supposedly from the RM.  Ticks = bad juju!

Last post by Dougfish - February 18, 2024, 21:14:40 PM
Steve takes good drugs.
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - February 18, 2024, 12:58:03 PM
I've never heard of ticks in the canopy.  I suppose they could reach higher on a host (bird or squirrel) and vacating an environ like a squirrel nest.

Or maybe Steve is the size of GI Joe or Ken Barbie, and his tarp was the size of a bandana handkerchief.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - February 18, 2024, 10:58:56 AM
NC-based music legend Dex Romweber of Flat Duo Jets dies at age 57

https://wr.al/1RKA
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Dead People; R.I...
Last post by trout-r-us - February 18, 2024, 08:38:33 AM
COLLEGE PARK, Md. — Lefty Driesell, the Hall of Fame coach whose folksy drawl belied a fiery on-court demeanor that put Maryland on the college basketball map and enabled him to rebuild several struggling programs, died Saturday. He was 92.

https://www.npr.org/2024/02/17/1232270712/lefty-driesell-maryland-college-basketball-coach-dies