Solitude of A Smallmouth Bass River

Started by Rod Champion, September 18, 2005, 22:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Champion

Just spent 3 days on a big beautiful Smallmouth Bass river . I am a Trout Bum, mostly because of bug hatches and rising fish. And I love big rivers. it is in my blood. But NO trout river in the East can offer the Solitude and peace of a Smallmouth river. You are ALONE. Yesterday- Saturday- we floated 4 1/2 miles or so- encounter 0 fisherman- 0. If the S. Holston was like that , it would be renamed" Paradise ".
Smallies weren't chasing much, but we still caught our share. Mostly on Jeremey's old " Sneaky Pete" tied champion style. That means long American Saddle feathers for the tail.
The only thing hard about the 3 days was my attempts at the oars. I ain't the best. Matt has it down pat. Me. well I am working on it.
We saw two " wild animals' on this trip. one was a Buck - 8 pointer that had fallen to an arrow. And the other was Dave Duffy, the Old Irishman , with his bag full of Deer Hair bugs. He still claims the river is " His" , but I know better. That is God's country and Dave is only a ' Vital" part of it. But I bet he wins the prize for the " most times on the river" award over the last 15 years. And the Best Looking Bugs on the river award. And he loves the place, no doubt about that.
If you guys haven't experienced the Big River Solitude, you owe it to yourselves. It is a like a blast from the past. You step back 30 years in time to a slower easier, less crowded way of doing things. And you just might hook that Musky that chased a bait to the boat.
Rod C

Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

brownhunter

Nice report; thanks for sharing it with us.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

good report Rod, where are the picture???
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Irish

Rod,

A great post and a good visit.

Irish Dave

Rod Champion

Irish - Would you like to get together and tie some next time I am up?
I would enjoy that. Actually will probably be on the river Wednesday and /or Thursday. Got a minister friend who needs some down time.
Pics haven't been developed yet Wooly.
Will show when they get here.
RodC
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
423-878-2822

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rod Champion on September 19, 2005, 10:44:24 AM
Irish - Would you like to get together and tie some next time I am up?
I would enjoy that. Actually will probably be on the river Wednesday and /or Thursday. Got a minister friend who needs some down time.
Pics haven't been developed yet Wooly.
Will show when they get here.
RodC

you still dealing with film???? gotta get you into the DIGITAL age....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rod Champion

We have Digital- Matt just has to load it on computer.
I am technological handicapped.

Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
423-878-2822