Well, the Scenery Was Nice (tR)

Started by Dee-Vo, February 04, 2020, 20:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dee-Vo

I've been in three states today....

More driving. New water. New scenery. Burn the damned candle at both ends while it'll still burn at all....

This creek was one of, if not THE, slickest bastard I've ever stepped into. In one foot of water I'd shuffle my feet an inch at a time. Busted my ass real good twice today. The first time brought a broken pine limb so close to going through the palm of my hand that I'm still wondering how it didn't push on through. The second time, I deserved. Trying to get around a "waterfall" and my feet came out from under me. Down on my knees I went onto shelf rock. Limping around now with a very bruised bone on the side of my knee, also pretty swollen.

I fished a few hours after the incident....hang tough. Don't quit. Keep going. Keep limping up this cold-hearted creek until you just bust your ass once more...

Fishing wasn't great, wasn't even good. But, another place. Another forest. Another flow. Another hike....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Some deep water here, and plenty of riffly bullshit as well...

The geology here is something far different from my home waters. Shelfy, broken-type stone everywhere. Cliffs made of the stuff....quite pretty.

#deadshit

Found this streamside. Very heartening....

Wow, look, a fish. Imagine that....prolly a stocker.

Lots of mossy things here. Damp, shady....greenish.

A hint....this is no real secret, not by far.

Unpurposefully, I snuck up on a large group of turkeys. Maybe 30 feet from me....the hen noticed me, and gave that I see you vertical neck stretch, like a chicken that just seen a hawk land in a nearby tree....turkeys went flying across this creek. Tom gobbled and played his song in the holler for me for a few minutes after they fled --he never seen me. Strong wings pounding wind. Nice. Nature doing what it does.

These birds scratched up the leaves in an area so much that is looked as if a whirlwind had come through. #turkeycarnage

Pic doesn't justify the turkey scratching.

Laugh, you may. He just drives aimlessly, and isn't even catching shit. Yea, that's pretty much it. But, venturing out to water you don't know sometimes is sort of challenging. Don't know where to start, where to park, where to fish. Just try....

Until the next time, and the next escape.....

itieuglyflies

Nice report, keep them coming. Really liked that fireplace/oven pic.

Phil

Nice pics. Go git 'em -- ain't gonna find out if they're biting unless ya go.  'c;  Sorry you didn't have a better day there, it's a great stream. Water looks high for sure, but not blown out. Lotso fish there, wild and stocked -- they must've been sulking about the water temps and weather coming in. 

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Phil on February 05, 2020, 11:22:27 AMNice pics. Go git 'em -- ain't gonna find out if they're biting unless ya go.  'c;  Sorry you didn't have a better day there, it's a great stream. Water looks high for sure, but not blown out. Lotso fish there, wild and stocked -- they must've been sulking about the water temps and weather coming in. 

I was hopeful that the intermittent rain and cloud cover yesterday would bring the heavy browns out to play....no such luck -- it wasn't because of a lack of effort. There's a lot of water through there and I didn't really know where the hell to go or to start fishing. Lots of shallower areas from the road can be seen. More time would help a man find the deep areas for big fish back in all that thick rhodo you can see from the road.

Stone-Man

That creek typically does not fish well on high water , so don't give up on it.You obviously fished a section of that creek that I have never fished because I have never seen the fireplace /oven. Thanks for sharing

JT

Phil

Quote from: Stone-Man on February 05, 2020, 13:22:14 PMThat creek typically does not fish well on high water , so don't give up on it.You obviously fished a section of that creek that I have never fished because I have never seen the fireplace /oven. Thanks for sharing

JT

I've never seen that fireplace either, JT.

Dougfish

Gotta get going, to get knowing. V:;
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow