Clear Creek Canyon

Started by MuddlerMan, April 26, 2011, 22:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuddlerMan

Took a friend to the airport early Sunday morning, and made it a point to fish Clear Creek Canyon on the way home. I'd driven the canyon many times but had never fished it . Without a doubt the most picturesque place I've fished so far. The water was up and murky, but very fishable. I was happy to find eager browns hanging out in the back eddies. The bite was very subtle.

Waterfowl on Shadow Mtn Reservoir from Saturday
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Clear Creek is at a much lower elevation, it's warmer, and there are more hatches going on. BIG stonefly

The overcast, humid day made for willing browns. Saw BWOs and stoneflies. Called it a day after about 3 hours fishing. Great way to spend Easter  0:0 <-;:
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead

Rhody

great pics, used to live in summit co. and head down to boulder to drink and fish this stretch many a day this time of the year-good times, well done!

0:0

there used to be a bar in front of the rocky flats plant owned by folks from sc, stop by if'n its  still there, they will recognize your accent and prolly buy you a beer or 5
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Woolly Bugger

nice looking wild water there, that's for the TR, might have to put that on the list...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Get Bent

Nice!  Have you made it to the Yampa below Stagecoach yet?????

'c;
Konichiwa Bitches!

peter p

Muddler

What section of clear creek is this?  I used to fish clear creek right off 70 outside of Idaho Springs as my hangover trip.  Nothing better then fishing as 18 wheelers are flying by.   But, it was close to Denver and had a ton of fish in it. 
Peter

diaz dassie

Bastage! Thats some sick looking water feller! Still owning the browns I see. Classic bro, keep the "Southern" flag flying ;D

MuddlerMan

Rhody,
You wouldn't happen to know the name of the bar, or more dialed in directions, would you?  I'm heading that way again on Monday.

It's the canyon stretch that follows CO 6 out of Golden

And Bent, I have not made it to the Yampa yet.  I went there back in December and got some shitty directions and advice from the DOW lady.  Ended up turning around and fishing the CO due to private land and frozen water.
"Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" - Grateful Dead

Rhody

dammit, i cannot remember,but it was right in front of the main entrance to the rocky flats facility west of boulder and east of kermits in idaho springs(kermits is really a dive, don't know if its still there either,but i think it was a fun place).

went in the rocky flats bar 1/2 drunk one day, after stumblin around in that same river where you were fishin probably and peter p too, they asked where i was from-at the time i was living in breckenridge-i was a damn local, had been for 5 years, leave me alone. the lady behind the bar asked-"where were you born? I replied "in cowpens,sc dammit." the old boy in the kitchen came out and said "i'm from chesnee", which is about 15 mins from cowpens ifn you don't know that neck of the woods. that begin dinner with them and a lot of beers, and many return trips. unfortunately too many beers and years since those dayz to remember much, sorry.

just get out and explore around boulder, its one of my favorite cities in the world. just too damned expensive to live there, but damn theres a lot of fun things to do, and most of these are still there-dark horse, bustop, watch everything on the boulder mall
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

peter p

The Yampa tailwater is a must.  There isn't a lot of public water.  But what there is, is quality! 

Kermits, oh my god.  You are taking me down memory lane.  After a quick ski day at A Basin, we decided to try and pub crawl our way down I-70 back to Denver.  Our goal was to find a dive at each exit.   Kermits was our Idaho Springs stop.  I believe it is still there. 

PS  Lots of bighorn sheep in that section of the canyon.  Keep your eye out for them.
Peter

MuddlerMan

Quote from: peter p on April 28, 2011, 07:53:44 AM
The Yampa tailwater is a must.  There isn't a lot of public water.  But what there is, is quality! 

Kermits, oh my god.  You are taking me down memory lane.  After a quick ski day at A Basin, we decided to try and pub crawl our way down I-70 back to Denver.  Our goal was to find a dive at each exit.   Kermits was our Idaho Springs stop.  I believe it is still there. 

PS  Lots of bighorn sheep in that section of the canyon.  Keep your eye out for them.

Kermits is definitely still there!  The green chili is amazing, and yes it is a biker dive bar, but mucho fun.  I'm heading that way on monday, and will definitely look for that bar Rhody.  If I don't find it, I know I'll be able to find another  0:0