Stripers @ Weldon / what a difference a day makes

Started by Al, May 18, 2020, 19:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Headed up I-95 yesterday to fish Stripers at Weldon with my buddy "Flower Pot Steve".  Steve replaced the original "flower pot" with a nice 16 foot wide body Jon Boat - It is still a "work in progress" but knowing Steve he will have it outfitted to the hilt before long.
You cannot view this attachment.

Keeping season is over and the run is almost done so not many trailers in the parking lot or on the water when we arrived at 2pm on Sunday. Kind of a shame because the bite was hot.

Steve used to be a professional photographer for childrens photos and weddings but since he gave that up he no longer owns a camera so most of the photos were me taking a picture of him - I did get a few of me. As I said before the bite was on - We caubht 35-40 by drifting in the vicinity of "The Big Rock" - plenty of doubles and one time caugth 5 in a short drift.

It don't get much better than this............

We stayed the night in a local hotel with visions of more of the same for Monday morning - rain in the forecast but not problem - we had rain gear.   We did have a problem location a place to eat because of the Covid 19 shut down. We thought one of the Chinese food places would be open for "take out" but three which we pulled up on Garmin were all closed. We ended up getting a hamburger at McDonalds - bummer!

Rain this morning but not bad - happy to be alive and out there where the fish were just waiting to put a bend in our rods.

What a difference a day makes - the fish were on fire yesterday but today we had to fish our hiney off to avoid a skunk - ended up with 6 to the boat but it was tough.

Maybe one reason Steve could not catch them was he was "fishing on credit" for at least one whole drift :P

I only get with this character once or twice a year but we are good friends, laugh at each other and just plain make a lot of memories - In my opinion that is what life is all about.

Woolly Bugger

Nice — Amazing how much things can change in a day — but you still caught fish!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

Nice! But don't ask Fred how many he caught on the James this past week.  :drum
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

I've gotta get back there someday.  Glad you all were out enjoying it!

troutrus

Glad you got to go. Sad to say I haven't been in ~10 years. Fish seem to be shrinking down there since they don't allow herring for bait. 🤔
By the looks of your trousers in the fourth picture, that boy in the striped suit must have been excited to see you. 🤣