Damn Dams -- Unlimited dam removal

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 02, 2020, 06:57:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Feds formally adopt salmon, dams plan
Strategy calls for Snake River dams to stay, more water to be spilled to help salmon runs

>>>The federal government formally adopted its salmon and dams management strategy Tuesday that relies on spilling water at Snake and Columbia river dams to speed juvenile fish to the ocean but keeps the four lower Snake River dams in place.

The Army Corps of Engineers, Bonneville Power Administration and the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation issued a Record of Decision committing the agencies to a plan centered on balancing the needs of Endangered Species Act-protected salmon and steelhead with carbon-free hydropower production and efficient barge transportation on the Columbia and lower Snake rivers.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/feds-formally-adopt-salmon-dams-plan/article_0ec395f4-a14d-5a7b-83a5-11cf167a54f1.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Africa's largest dam powers dreams of prosperity in Ethiopia — and fears of hunger in Egypt

As the reservoir fills on the Blue Nile, people in both countries are preparing for changes the dam may bring

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2020/grand-ethiopian-renaissance-dam-egypt-nile/?no_nav=true&tid=a_classic-iphone
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 16, 2020, 07:35:04 AMAfrica's largest dam powers dreams of prosperity in Ethiopia — and fears of hunger in Egypt

As the reservoir fills on the Blue Nile, people in both countries are preparing for changes the dam may bring

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/interactive/2020/grand-ethiopian-renaissance-dam-egypt-nile/?no_nav=true&tid=a_classic-iphone

This will not end well.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

Washington state tribes, utility consider old dam's removal

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>SEATTLE (AP) — Tribal leaders in northern Washington state have announced an effort to determine the feasibility and costs associated with removal of a dam that has not generated electricity since 1958.

The Enloe Dam, built 100 years ago, blocks fish from reaching the Similkameen River and is of no use to the Confederated Tribes of the Colville Reservation wanting to bring salmon back to the river, The Seattle Times reported.

"It's got to go," tribal business council Chair Rodney Cawston said, as he watched the river cascade over the 54-foot (16-meter) dam. "Our people have lived off salmon for thousands of years. This is of just huge importance to us."

https://tulsaworld.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/washington-state-tribes-utility-consider-old-dams-removal/article_27fdcab6-5587-55a4-93db-01808013a20b.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

For over a century, one of the most important salmon runs in the United States has had to contend with historic dams – and now four of them are set to be taken down.

>>>"My great uncle and my grandma and my great grandparents and, I'm sure, their great grandparents: they were all fishermen. That's just what they did – they fished and it was out of necessity to support their families. And it's because that's what we've always done and we've never known another life," says Amy Cordalis, the general counsel of the Yurok, and a member of California's largest indigenous tribe.

It's hard to overstate how important this livelihood has been to the Yurok people who have lived for millennia in rural Northern California. And yet this livelihood has been diminishing for decades after the Klamath River – which flows through the tribe's territory – was dammed for hydroelectricity. But now, after years of painstaking negotiations, the fortunes of the Yurok could be set to change, with the largest dam removal project in US history given the green light.

Although she grew up in Ashland, Oregon, Cordalis would often visit Requa, a tiny village near the mouth of the Klamath River in northern California, to see family, attend tribal ceremonies – and to fish. Her father – "the ultimate Yurok fisherman" – had four daughters and a son, and he taught all of them to fish.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20201110-the-largest-dam-removal-project-in-american-history
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

>>>PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) — A coalition of environmental and fishing groups are suing a water district in southern Oregon over an aging, privately owned dam that they say hinders the passage of struggling salmon populations in the pristine North Umpqua River.

The lawsuit, filed Friday in U.S. District Court in Eugene, asks a judge to order the Winchester Water Control District to build a new fish ladder and make major repairs to Winchester Dam, which dates to 1890 and is on the National Register of Historic Places. The dam is one of the oldest in Oregon.

https://www.middletownpress.com/news/article/Fishing-environmental-groups-sue-over-Umpqua-15717520.php
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Klamath River deal revives plan for major dam demolition to save salmon

>>>ORTLAND, Ore. —  An agreement announced Tuesday paves the way for the largest dam demolition in U.S. history, a project that promises to reopen hundreds of miles of waterway along the Oregon-California border to salmon that are critical to tribes but have dwindled to almost nothing in recent years.

If it goes forward, the deal would revive plans to remove four massive hydroelectric dams on the lower Klamath River, emptying giant reservoirs and reopening potential fish habitat that's been blocked for more than a century. The massive project would be at the vanguard of a trend toward dam demolitions in the U.S. as the structures age and become less economically viable amid growing environmental concerns about the health of native fish.

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-11-17/apnewsbreak-deal-revives-plan-for-largest-us-dam-demolition
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

B.C. outdoor group calls for removal of U.S. dam
Defunct obstruction on Similkameen River cuts off 500 km of Canadian salmon habitat

>>>A B.C. outdoor group is hoping some cross-border diplomacy will lead to the dismantling of a defunct dam in Washington State that's blocked salmon runs into Canada for the past century.

The Enole Dam is concrete wall, 18-metre tall, 88-metres wide, constructed around 1920 near Oroville, WA, about 11 km south of Osoyoos. Designed without fish ladders to enable fish migration, it eliminated salmon and steelhead runs from the Similkameen River and its tributaries flowing from B.C. through Manning Provincial Park and past the communities of Princeton, Hedley, Keremeos and Cawston.

https://www.mapleridgenews.com/news/b-c-outdoor-group-calls-for-removal-of-u-s-dam/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Huge dam demolition could save salmon on the edge of extinction

Spring-run Chinook salmon, critical to Indigenous fishers along the Klamath River, are in steep decline. But two recent developments may offer a path to their recovery.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/2020/11/dam-removal-project-genetic-discovery-could-be-good-news-for-key-salmon-species/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A second chance for Eel River salmon and steelhead?

>>>For many years Pacific Gas & Electric Co. has operated the "Potter Valley Project," a hydroelectric facility on the main stem of the Eel River consisting of Scott and Cape Horn dams and a tunnel diverting water into the Russian River watershed, where it is used to generate a small amount of electricity and for irrigation by farmers in Potter Valley and farther south in Sonoma County.

The construction of Scott Dam in 1922 completely blocked passage of critically imperiled anadromous fish including salmon, steelhead and lamprey while simultaneously forming Lake Pillsbury, a 2,000-acre reservoir in remote northwestern Lake County used for boating, fishing and camping. Consisting of several hundred dwellings, primarily on Mendocino National Forest leaseholds but also including a scattering in private ownership, this community has very few permanent residents.

https://www.redbluffdailynews.com/2021/01/12/a-second-chance-for-eel-river-salmon-and-steelhead/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

200 Years Ago My Family Built a Dam — Now My Organization Is Tearing It Down

A river-restoration advocate looks back at her family's forgotten history to gain new insight into the history — and future — of our country's rivers.

>>>If you look at a map of a watershed, it branches like a family tree. Pennsylvania's Cacoosing Creek flows into the Tulpehocken, which flows into the Schuylkill, which flows into the Delaware, which flows into the Atlantic Ocean.

My Great Aunt Kathryn (we called her Kaki) lived in a house on North Church Road in Robesonia, Pennsylvania. When you walked in the front door, arriving for a family reunion or a Fourth of July picnic, you were met by a wall of family photos — my mom's cousins Hank, Mike and Andrea. Kaki and my grandmother Anita as girls.

And hanging among the photos of our own family tree was a little pen and ink drawing of a mill.

>>>Removing the dam on Cacoosing Creek will restore more than seven miles of habitat for American eel, trout, blacknose dace and white suckers. It will revitalize the health of the entire ecosystem. Nationwide more than 1,700 dams have been removed to restore rivers, and Pennsylvania leads the nation in dam removal.

https://therevelator.org/cacoosing-dam-removal/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Commentary: Removing 4 Brookfield Renewable dams would revive lower Kennebec, at-risk species
The fate of Atlantic salmon in the U.S. depends on restoring them in the Kennebec. Razing these dams would give the species its best chance at survival.

>>>Colin Woodard's Jan. 3 article on Brookfield Renewable's four Kennebec River dams between Waterville and Skowhegan brings much-needed attention to stalled efforts to restore endangered Atlantic salmon and other sea-run fish to Maine's second largest watershed.

A Fairfield man casts a fly into a pool in the Kennebec River below the Shawmut dam. The National Marine Fisheries Service and Maine Department of Marine Resources recommend the dam's removal.  David Leaming/Morning Sentinel, File

Today the Kennebec is a tale of two rivers. Downstream of the Lockwood Dam, the Kennebec and its tributaries teem with alewives, blueback herring, American shad and two species of sturgeon that have returned after the removal of the Edwards and Fort Halifax dams. More than 3 million river herring now return annually to the Sebasticook River to spawn, providing food that brings seals 50 miles upstream from salt water and attracts the East Coast's largest concentration of bald eagles. Anglers below the Lockwood Dam can catch shad until their arms hurt.

Upstream of Lockwood Dam, it's a different story. The fish lift at Lockwood simply doesn't work. Some anglers catch more shad in a day than the lift passes in a year. In 2019, a study found that only 45 percent of tagged salmon released below the dam entered the fish lift. Some took a month to do so. The Maine Department of Marine Resources believes restoration will require 99 percent passage within 48 hours of reaching the dam. And Lockwood is just the first of four dams salmon need to pass before they reach the exceptional spawning and rearing habitat in the Sandy River.

https://www.newscentermaine.com/article/life/concerns-of-conflict-on-maines-coastline/97-78308102-361d-40e9-9b1e-9a6ac36e2294
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

A Four-Month Time Lapse of the Nooksack Dam Removal

This Swiftwater Films time lapse, produced by director Shane Anderson and filmed and edited by Jesse Andrew Clark, shows the monthslong process of deconstructing the Nooksack Dam on the Middle Fork of Washington's Nooksack River. This restoration will repair 16 miles of habitat for threatened salmon and steelhead.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2420470/nooksack-dam-removal-time-lapse
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Idaho's Simpson calls for breaching dams

>>>Every single salmon and steelhead that spawns in Wallowa County streams must navigate the four dams on the Lower Snake River twice — once as a smolt en route to the ocean and again as an adult returning to its natal stream.

On Feb. 6, Idaho 2nd Congressional District Rep. Mike Simpson, an 11-term Republican, called for a $33.5 billion, decade-long program that would breach those dams and provide support for local economies to save Idaho — and also Wallowa County — salmon and steelhead.

"I'm not certain that removing these dams will restore Idaho salmon and prevent their extinction," he said. "But I am certain that if we do not take this course of action, we are condemning Idaho salmon to extinction."

https://www.wallowa.com/news/local/idahos-simpson-calls-for-breaching-dams/article_d4c95a80-6a4d-11eb-afb1-4fbc18882f23.html
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

69 Dams Removed in 2020
Nothing restores a river like removing a dam.

>>> Despite the challenges of working through a pandemic, river restoration practitioners continued to pursue dam removal projects in 2020 to revitalize local economies and communities and reconnect 624 upstream river miles for fish, wildlife and river health. Sixty-nine dams were removed in 2020 across 23 states, including: California, Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington and Wisconsin.

https://www.americanrivers.org/2021/02/69-dams-removed-in-2020/
me -There's a season?