News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Pipeline

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, June 19, 2014, 08:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This has been a hot topic in the Allegheny Highland news.  We best keep an eye on this one ---- potentially intersects many waters.

"The pipeline would enter the state in Highland County in western Virginia and run in a southeasterly direction through Nelson, Buckingham, Dinwiddie and Brunswick counties where it turns southward toward North Carolina."

http://www.dailyprogress.com/news/dominion-exploring-construction-of-gas-pipeline-through-region/article_0d052ef6-e5df-11e3-aa8e-001a4bcf6878.html
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

snagaluffaguss

This is my favorite quote from the article

QuoteEnvironmentalists are concerned about the proposal's impacts.

Good Normal Red Blooded Americans are not concerned and everyone else is indifferent.

Its just some egg head academic bleeding heart that has a problem with it.

He probably drives a Volvo, voted for Obummer and eats babys.

flatlander

Environmentalist groups are opposed to everything.  They oppose wind power.  They oppose solar.  They oppose hydro.  They oppose......you name it.

Aka

Peddler

I'm sort of shocked to see it's an American company planning the deed this time. Usually it's Canadian companies because they aren't afraid to do a little work and they know we're for sale cheap because of what cheap whores our politicians have become.
It's domestic natural gas too and not that nasty Canadian tar sands garbage. Wonder of wonders.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: troutfanatic on September 05, 2014, 21:44:15 PM
If an activist were to place a few charges on it and make it go away would that be:

A. domestic terrorism

B. Protecting the environment

C. Anarchy

You drive a jeep?

flatlander

Block it and they'll eventually start hauling LNG over land by rail.  I recommend rail car manufacturers Greenbriar Industries (GBX) and Trinity (TRN).  They are up big on the rail industry hauling crude since we don't have the pipeline infrastructure to carry it.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

It enters VA in Highland, just up the road from where I am drinking coffee, perched on my ass this fine morning; waiting for the grass to dry so I can weed eat.

If the fine folks of Highland are triumphant in stopping this conduit of coming calamity, will they be branded:

1.   Environmental extremist
2.   Ignorant hillbillies under the spell of tree hugging hippie outsiders
3.   Hard-headed, unyielding, mountain folk of Scotch-Irish or German descent

"Environmentalists are concerned about the proposal's impacts." (from the article) 

This is likely the first time most of those Highlanders opposed to the pipeline route have been called "environmentalists".  The majority are native farmers, syrup producers, retired elderly, etc.  They simply want to be left alone, and are savvy enough to know when someone tells them it is raining while pissing down their back.  They understand and likely appreciate that the outside world pays little attention to their very rural lands, unless it to visit for their maple fest, county fair, or truck and tractor pulls.  Aware that they and their neighbors will gain little, and eventually nothing, from a pipeline running through their yards, they understand that the treasures flowing through that massive cylinder will head far south to NC.

I know nothing about pipelines, but I have studied maps of existing lines.  There are present lines exiting WV, pointed south; why not used those already permitted easements.  Purchase them, expand the easement swath.  Is there a true need to fu*k up more land?

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Coal Bad = reliance on other fuels like natural gas... people want cheap energy and don't want to spend $30 to $70k to solar power their own home...

Another article on the Duke/Piedmont NG/Dominion conspiracy

http://wfdd.org/post/5-billion-natural-gas-pipeline-headed-north-carolina
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on September 06, 2014, 09:02:06 AM
It enters VA in Highland, just up the road from where I am drinking coffee, perched on my ass this fine morning; waiting for the grass to dry so I can weed eat.

If the fine folks of Highland are triumphant in stopping this conduit of coming calamity, will they be branded:

1.   Environmental extremist
2.   Ignorant hillbillies under the spell of tree hugging hippie outsiders
3.   Hard-headed, unyielding, mountain folk of Scotch-Irish or German descent

"Environmentalists are concerned about the proposal's impacts." (from the article) 

This is likely the first time most of those Highlanders opposed to the pipeline route have been called "environmentalists".  The majority are native farmers, syrup producers, retired elderly, etc.  They simply want to be left alone, and are savvy enough to know when someone tells them it is raining while pissing down their back.  They understand and likely appreciate that the outside world pays little attention to their very rural lands, unless it to visit for their maple fest, county fair, or truck and tractor pulls.  Aware that they and their neighbors will gain little, and eventually nothing, from a pipeline running through their yards, they understand that the treasures flowing through that massive cylinder will head far south to NC.

I know nothing about pipelines, but I have studied maps of existing lines.  There are present lines exiting WV, pointed south; why not used those already permitted easements.  Purchase them, expand the easement swath.  Is there a true need to fu*k up more land?

Stephen,
I really don't have a dog in the fight (well I do...I'm invested in Dominion), and I can understand why you might not want a pipeline in your backyard.  BUT, they're going to move it (natural gas)  one way or another.

In Big J's thread back in April/May regarding the train wreck in Lynchburg that spilled crude into the James I posted this:

Quote from: Flatlander on May 01, 2014, 13:29:16 PM
GBX, ARII, RAIL, WAB, TRN

Those companies are up over 40% since May.  Not a bad return in 6 months.  One man's environmental disaster is another's opportunity, I guess.

I'm all for using less fossil fuels, but renewables just aren't there yet.  Environmentalists can't be against everything...at some point we have to be realistic about our energy needs.  That doesn't mean you have to accept the pipeline in your backyard, but we're going to move nat gas around one way or another.

snagaluffaguss

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 06, 2014, 09:17:19 AM
people want cheap energy and don't want to spend $30 to $70k to solar power their own home

Be nice if the gubment would subsidize that like they do the energy companies. Tie all that shit back into the grid and be done with the wars and pollution.

They build roads and handout corporate welfare checks.  What's so hard about giving me and anyone else a check or full refund for solar panels on the house that tie back to the grid.

Roofs are lots of wasted space

flatlander

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 07, 2014, 21:59:00 PM
people want cheap energy and don't want to spend $30 to $70k to solar power their own home

Be nice if the gubment would subsidize that like they do the energy companies. Tie all that shit back into the grid and be done with the wars and pollution.

They build roads and handout corporate welfare checks.  What's so hard about giving me and anyone else a check or full refund for solar panels on the house that tie back to the grid.

Doesn't the government offer tax incentives on solar installations?

Aka

Quote from: Flatlander on September 08, 2014, 17:48:13 PM
Quote from: snagaluffaguss on September 07, 2014, 21:59:00 PM

Doesn't the government offer tax incentives on solar installations?

State governments do. I don't think the Feds do, that's why some states like CA & NC are good markets for solar while others aren't. Do both the Feds and state governments give subsidies to oil and gas?