The quest for white bass and/or stripper

Started by teachrtec, July 22, 2006, 08:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teachrtec

Yesterday we really needed a road trip to unwind from a stressful week. Went to the tailwater of Douglas Lake.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I took 2 flyrods and a ultralite spinning rod.

Got there late about 9am. There was one turbine going and the flow was great. Started with the spinning rod hunting for fish. I was using a jig I tied with craft fur. (white and chartreuse) A Gulp curl tail.

Found the bass. Got one really nice white bass or a small strpper not sure.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Love a ID from expert  Nice fight on a ultralite. Caught several more freshwater drum. ( Look like a 1lb croaker). I was ready to start heaving a Clouser Deep Minnow.

And

Then the flow stopped  

So

I found a hugh group of carp. I tried to catch em. Not takers. Much study will be done before I go back. Any carp fly suggestions.

Caught several decent bluegill during the carp attempts. They were fun. Had a pretty good half and plan to go back before school starts.

Brad  8)
Brad  8)

phg

Brad,

That's a pretty fish.  Identifying it isn't hard, but you would have had to do it while you had the fish in hand.  While the white bass is generally much smaller, more like a big crappie in size, they do bear a close similarity to a striped bass in shape and markings.  The stripes on a white bass are generally more faint, but that is not a reliable fieldmark.

The key identification point is the fish's tougue.  A white bass has a single patch of teeth in the center of it's tougue, while a striped bass has 2 distinct teeth patches.  From the picture, I'd be inclined to say it was a largish white bass, but that's only a guess.

lepomis_mcro

i guess striper on the other site...the easiest way i have found to tell the difference. is to look at the dosal fins...

if there is a gap between to two its a striper...no gap, the first and second fins run together, then its a white bass....to me it looks like there is a gap..but im not 100% sure you can really tell from pic...but nice fish regardless
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

It's a small striper....white bass would have had deeper body comapred to it's length and hybrid would have broken linesand deeper body ta boot!

Ralph   0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

lepomis_mcro

love to disagree trout... it looks like a good method to me...see in this pic at the site below...the first dorsal and the second dorsal fin pretty much run together. that little bump between the two, thats part of its first fin...not much of a gap, would you not agree

http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bassstriped/white/picture.cfm

now this here is a striper..see the gap between the two fins

http://www.4greatfish.com/gf/768%20FSstriper1.html
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

lepomis_mcro

am i taking crazy pills here or what  o-o

QuoteNo, I would not agree and neither does the NCWRC.

are you telling me this is not a white bass
http://www.outdooralabama.com/fishing/freshwater/fish/bassstriped/white/picture.cfm

and this is not a striper
http://www.4greatfish.com/gf/768%20FSstriper1.html

QuoteThey are not attached
nooo really, your pulling my leg..of course they are not attached..i never said that they were. if you read my post. im talking about, and i will say it again, the actual space between the first fin, and the second..the gap between the two fins on a striper is greater distance..on a white bass they are very close together, almost no gap at all

does anyone else see what im saying here?

flyman

Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

teachrtec

I released every fish that day guys. Not worth hard feelings what ever the species. I'm going back sometime next week and hopefully I'll have some more pics.

Brad  8)
Brad  8)

lepomis_mcro

my misake trout..i didnt understand that you were just wanting to educate us poor ignorant folk on here...

i fugured you were just being a jackGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

and just for future reference its lithium i take, not zanexGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.