Ogeechee River 3/12/06 Shad

Started by croaker, March 12, 2006, 20:43:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker

Headed to the River @ 3:00pm figureing with this warm weather, I wouldn't be able to find a parking place at the ramp. Was 84 degrees when I left the house. When I pulled off the highway, lo and behold only 2 trucks were there, and one was a DNR Conservation Ranger truck.

Put in and fished the first strecth and got 1 bite that I missed. Rode on a little further and tried a couple more spots. Nothing biting... 'cept skeeters. Was nice to have the river near 'bout to myself. One boat came by heading upstream with folks who were just ridin' and enjoying the warm weather.

Moved to another good spot. Nothing... then the anchor slipped. Fly got hung up and broke off. Drifted down a bit and the anchor hung, so I figured this was as good a place as any to re rig. While re rigging the local DNR Conservation Ranger (who I hadn't seen in awhile) came by heading downstream, turned around, pulled alongside and asked how the fishin' was and if there were many folks back toward the ramp as he had only seen the 1 boat that'd came by me earlier. Told him only 2 that I knew of. Got a laugh out of him when I told him that he ought to park the truck at the ramp on warm Sunday afternoons so I'd have plenty of parking and fishing room. We BS'ed a little and as he headed on down, said maybe him running by would turn on the bite.

Got rigged and drifted down aways. Tried one of the earlier spots and caught 2 small 16" American Shad on the 6wt.

Was a Grand Afternoon on the River.

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.