News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Quote from: hcrum87hc on November 19, 2020, 08:27:50 AM
Quote from: troutrus on November 18, 2020, 12:36:47 PMI've been looking to upgrade. This thing is a killer on common houseflies, but wasps and the like just laugh at me when they see me coming.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

Do those really work well?  I've always been intrigued by them.  I think I'd leave the back door open just to let flies in for target practice.
More of a novelty item or gag gift. It will obliterate a fly at 6", but beyond that it merely chases them.

Yallerhammer

My old beat up vintage tang-safety Ruger M77 in .300 Winmag still shoots true.

You cannot view this attachment.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Al

Quote from: Mr. Don on November 18, 2020, 10:23:04 AM110 grain ball ammo.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Quote from: Big J on November 18, 2020, 08:23:05 AM
Quote from: Mr. Don on November 17, 2020, 21:11:50 PM40's vintage .30 carbine.

This M1 Carbine is a sweet gun! The .30 Carbine cartridge gets a lot of crap, but I always thought it was a decent in between cartridge between pistol and rifle cartridges.  Heard stories of guys wanting and getting issued these in Vietnam over the M14 because the M14's were a pita to carry around.  @Al might be able to speak some on that.

Sorry I haven't posted much lately. Been up to my ass in alligators helping manage the Caldwell Wounded Warrior Deer Hunt - got that behind be so will weigh in on the M1 & M2 30 caliber carbine.

When I was enlisted and had not yet gone to war I loved it because it was light and maneuverable. Back then it was either that, a nine pound M1 Gurand or the 12-15 pound BAR. When I first got to Vietnam our indigenous Vietnamese troops also preferred it for the same reasons - using a FMJ bullet it was not much of a man-stopper. Probably a modern bullet would have resolved that but anything but FMJ ball would be considered a war crime. It also did not have very good range. I was down in the Delta where you could see and shoot a long ways so "range" was a factor.

About half way through my first tour (a full year back then - no "deployments" of few weeks or few months like today where a high number of "deployments" no matter where, gives you status), we swapped out the carbines and M1 rifles for the M16. Once again the troops loved them until we got pinned down out in the open but could not reach back to the VC/NVA who were firing from behind a distant paddy dike. After extracting ourselves from a couple of those situations we reissued two BAR per squad. Problem solved.

Phil

My grandfather's .30-40 Springfield Krag he used in the Spanish-American War. Handed down to my father, who handed it down to me.

Big J

Quote from: Al on November 25, 2020, 18:04:03 PMSorry I haven't posted much lately. Been up to my ass in alligators helping manage the Caldwell Wounded Warrior Deer Hunt - got that behind be so will weigh in on the M1 & M2 30 caliber carbine.

When I was enlisted and had not yet gone to war I loved it because it light and maneuverable. Back then it was either that, a nine pound M1 Gurand or the 12-15 pound BAR. When I first got to Vietnam our indigenous Vietnamese troops also preferred it for the same reasons - using a FMJ bullet it was not much of a man-stopper. Probably a Gorden bullet would have resolved that but anything but FMJ ball would be considered a war crime. It also did not have very good range. I was down in the Delta where you could see and shoot a long ways so "range" was a factor.

About half way through my first tour (a full year back then - no "deployments" of few weeks or few months like today where a high number of deployments no matter where gives you status), we swapped out the carbines and M1 rifles for the M16. Once again the troops loved them until we got pinned down out in the open but could not reach back to the VC/NVA who were firing from behind a distant paddy dike. After extracting ourselves from a couple of those situations we reissued two BAR per squad. Problem solved.

Makes sense. Everyone likes a light gun until they want to reach out and touch something. That's why the M14 was the shortest standard issue gun in Military history but they still hang around with units and get issued out sporadically. .308 will reach a little further than .223

Phil

Safety Rule.

rbphoto

I recently was able to purchase 400+ rounds of 10mm at a cost equivalent to what I have historically paid for ammunition.

I could probably make $500 on this purchase and never blink, but I actually prefer to shoot my ammunition.

Still can't get enough 12 gauge target ammunition.  People are selling boxes of 25 shells for $14-20/box.  They should be $6.50-$8

Ridiculousness.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

hcrum87hc

Quote from: rbphoto on February 24, 2021, 08:53:51 AMI recently was able to purchase 400+ rounds of 10mm at a cost equivalent to what I have historically paid for ammunition.

I could probably make $500 on this purchase and never blink, but I actually prefer to shoot my ammunition.

Still can't get enough 12 gauge target ammunition.  People are selling boxes of 25 shells for $14-20/box.  They should be $6.50-$8

Ridiculousness.

Yeah, it's nuts.  Unfortunately, I don't see it getting better for a long time.
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: rbphoto on February 24, 2021, 08:53:51 AMI recently was able to purchase 400+ rounds of 10mm at a cost equivalent to what I have historically paid for ammunition.

Ridiculousness.

reports from the ammo store is that peeps are making rounds to snap up whatever comes in for resale purposes...

they can't keep ammo in stock ... too many people with too much time on their hands
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

rbphoto

The only two calibers I was able to find the last few months were .17HMR and 350 Legend.  I happen to own both of those and was happy to walk out of the store with my limit, provided prices were not ridiculous.

I now have enough of both to last a very long time.

Finding 12 gauge shotshells is my current mission.

Without breaking the bank.

I shoot 3-500/month for training & competition and can't find enough.
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM

Big J

Quote from: rbphoto on February 25, 2021, 10:02:47 AMThe only two calibers I was able to find the last few months were .17HMR and 350 Legend.  I happen to own both of those and was happy to walk out of the store with my limit, provided prices were not ridiculous.

I now have enough of both to last a very long time.

Finding 12 gauge shotshells is my current mission.

Without breaking the bank.

I shoot 3-500/month for training & competition and can't find enough.

How do you like the 350 legend? Seems like a decent round but only fixing a specific necessity. It's a good straight walled hunting rounding for states where straight walled cartridges are necessary. How is the accuracy out of that cartridge?

rbphoto

It's an AR platform with less recoil than a .223/5.56  I have not sighted it in yet as I'm waiting on a couple more pieces/parts to finish my build.

It will be one I shoot for the rest of my life.  I have bolts actions in both .308 & a .30-06 if I really want to reach out beyond 200yds (something I've never done for a deer).

If I ever want to go sub-sonic (doubtful), there are ammunition options available in 350 Legend.

Phil

Today is a range day for me. Heading out shortly. It's getting to be a rather expensive hobby -- even shooting a fraction of the ammo I use to go through.  :o

Big J

Quote from: Phil on February 25, 2021, 11:06:02 AMToday is a range day for me. Heading out shortly. It's getting to be a rather expensive hobby -- even shooting a fraction of the ammo I use to go through. 

I've been maybe 4 times since March 2020. Half of it was due to the ranges being closed until mid summer and then the ammo shortage hit. I went one time and ran thru a couple hundred rounds of 10mm and 9mm and felt like I was flexin some financial wealth at the range.

And RB let me know how the 350 legend groups.  Not that it's a difference most shooters will experience, but probably get longer barrel life out of the 350 compared to .223/5.55

Mr. Don

The faster we go the rounder we get.