As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itieuglyflies

hcrum87hc

Quote from: Big J on January 02, 2020, 09:17:13 AM
Quote from: troutrus on January 01, 2020, 16:41:21 PMSo the good guy with gun limited the deaths to three humans. I say we aim higher, like no guns and no deaths.

You are conflating two different ideas.  No guns will not create no deaths.  I argue that no guns will create a more violent society.  Guns empower women. They empower the weak.  They protect the ones that need protecting.  A 100 lb single mother has no chance against a full grown man wishing to do her harm.  Just the other month a pregnant wife down in Florida saved her husband's, unborn child, and her own life by stopping two armed men beating her husband by running to her room and grabbing her AR. You will never be able to change a species that has violence engrained into them.  All you will do by removing guns is allow the evil doers an easy way to go about doing their deeds.  One of my favorite analogies is removing guns from law abiding citizens is like the sheep removing their teeth because the wolves' teeth keep killing them.  As much as I'd love to have faith in society, it is foolish to believe violence will go away with the removal of guns.  I'd rather have the ability to protect myself over the faith that other people will do what is right.  Call me cynical, but there are way too many unstable people in this world and I'd rather focus the efforts towards coming up with solutions for them. 

Well said.  Evil people are going to do evil things, whether they use guns, explosives, cars, knives, baseball bats, hammers, or even feet and fists.  You can't prevent it, but you can stop it ASAP after it starts.  I want to have the best possible chance to protect myself and others if, God forbid, I'm ever in such a situation. 

Also, there's no such thing as "no guns," in this country. It's not going to happen.  They're too ingrained in our society and too numerous.  That's not a realistic, or desirable (IMO) goal.  Want to know what could have prevented this lunatic from shooting up a church? A working justice system.  Go look up his past crimes and how his charges were plead down and/or dropped. He should have been in jail where he couldn't have hurt anyone. 
Jeremiah 17:7

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 02, 2020, 09:17:13 AMYou are conflating two different ideas.  No guns will not create no deaths.  I argue that no guns will create a more violent society.  Guns empower women. They empower the weak.  They protect the ones that need protecting.  A 100 lb single mother has no chance against a full grown man wishing to do her harm.  Just the other month a pregnant wife down in Florida saved her husband's, unborn child, and her own life by stopping two armed men beating her husband by running to her room and grabbing her AR. You will never be able to change a species that has violence engrained into them.  All you will do by removing guns is allow the evil doers an easy way to go about doing their deeds.  One of my favorite analogies is removing guns from law abiding citizens is like the sheep removing their teeth because the wolves' teeth keep killing them.  As much as I'd love to have faith in society, it is foolish to believe violence will go away with the removal of guns.  I'd rather have the ability to protect myself over the faith that other people will do what is right.  Call me cynical, but there are way too many unstable people in this world and I'd rather focus the efforts towards coming up with solutions for them. 

All those verses on empowering women

https://www.theodysseyonline.com/empowering-verses-women

and all those empowering verses for the weak men

https://luke1428.com/13-encouraging-bible-verses-for-men/

Where the heck did we go wrong?  It seems the 8000-12000 gods, worshiped in human history, have failed us. 

If guns empower women and the weak, then they likely empower the bad guys.  I am as weak as they come, but I'll keep searching. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

You are going back to the sheep and wolf analogy Hiner.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 02, 2020, 11:38:27 AMYou are going back to the sheep and wolf analogy Hiner.

No, because the analogy makes no sense – two different species, 1 predator, 1 prey, as mother nature planned.  I am a wolf that pulled his own teeth so I can't bite my fellow wolf.  I am very weak in your eyes. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 02, 2020, 12:10:59 PM
Quote from: Big J on January 02, 2020, 11:38:27 AMYou are going back to the sheep and wolf analogy Hiner.

No, because the analogy makes no sense – two different species, 1 predator, 1 prey, as mother nature planned.  I am a wolf that pulled his own teeth so I can't bite my fellow wolf.  I am very weak in your eyes. 

Bad guy equals predator
Civilian minding own business equals prey

I argue that someone who decides to go out and shoot up a church or school is not the same "species" as me.  I cannot even begin to comprehend what would drive someone to do such an awful act.

Also, even "Mother Nature" gave prey abilities to ward off attacks from predators.

I also want to address the notion of being weak.  I do not equate someone's desire to not carry or own a gun as weak.  I understand that there are a multitude of people who do not want to carry a gun or do not feel responsible enough to carry one or doesn't see it as a necessity.  I do not consider that weak.  In matter of fact the person who feels they are not responsible enough personally to carry or own a gun is strong in my eyes.  Strength comes from knowing your weakness' and making the most out of your abilities.  I believe everyone has a right to firearms, but that doesn't mean everyone should exercise that right.  Where I differ from a lot of American's today is I feel like everyone personally should make that decision for themselves and not have a government make that decision for them. 

Onslow

Swords and battle axes > guns

Phil

Big J -- I just got into the 1911 game, durn it. Bought a new Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander 45ACP. Should be arriving in a few days. Oh boy, I hope I can figure out how to field strip it! Forgot long ago. Here's a stock pic until I can post one of mine when it gets here....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2020, 19:55:02 PMBig J -- I just got into the 1911 game, durn it. Bought a new Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander 45ACP. Should be arriving in a few days. Oh boy, I hope I can figure out how to field strip it! Forgot long ago. Here's a stock pic until I can post one of mine when it gets here....

You picked a mighty fine 1911. Can't go wrong with a Colt. Just avoid the idiot scratch when you put the slide stop pin back in. Biggest thing people forget about 1911's and regret that mark.

Thing I love about Colts is they hold their value really well. Being a Wiley Clapp edition, it will probably be discontinued and go up in value a little even

rbphoto

Quote from: Big J on January 09, 2020, 20:53:03 PM
Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2020, 19:55:02 PMBig J -- I just got into the 1911 game, durn it. Bought a new Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight Commander 45ACP. Should be arriving in a few days. Oh boy, I hope I can figure out how to field strip it! Forgot long ago. Here's a stock pic until I can post one of mine when it gets here....

Just avoid the idiot scratch when you put the slide stop pin back in. Biggest thing people forget about 1911's and regret that mark.

Google Images: "1911 slide stop idiot mark fix log man"

Easy fix and you will never need another tool to avoid the idiot mark.  Mega simple.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Phil

"Google Images: "1911 slide stop idiot mark fix log man" Easy fix and you will never need another tool to avoid the idiot mark.  Mega simple." -- rbphoto, I'm not gonna start taking a file or Dremel to a brand new gun. Just don't feel comfortable. I'll get one of those Lyman widget slide stop detent tools. 

rbphoto

Quote from: Phil on January 10, 2020, 15:48:30 PM"Google Images: "1911 slide stop idiot mark fix log man" Easy fix and you will never need another tool to avoid the idiot mark.  Mega simple." -- rbphoto, I'm not gonna start taking a file or Dremel to a brand new gun. Just don't feel comfortable. I'll get one of those Lyman widget slide stop detent tools. 

Chicken!

I triangle file and 20 minutes and it'll be good.

A new slide stop is what, $30?

Nearly any good machinist can do this for you in 5 minutes or less.

There's a market out there for slide stops with these pre-cut in them . . .
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Phil

I'm not calling anyone a "nitwit" as my friend who is a true 1911 collector and noted marksman says, but this is a quote of his --

"A 1911 is a very enjoyable gun to own and shoot ... a lot! Messing with them is fraught with more difficulties than leaving them be, unless messing with them is intended to become one's hobby. I have observed perfectly good and reliable 1911s reduced to malfunctioning rubbish by nitwits. This was early in a shooting career and I vowed to avoid doing the same. Leaving 'em alone and just shooting 'em has worked out alright for me."

I'm kind of in this camp. I'm not a born "messer." I plan to learn how to disassemble, clean, and reassemble mine, but will take it to my local gunsmith (also a friend) if it needs much of anything else.

Big J

Ain't nothing wrong with that and will save you a lot of headache. Haha. Trust me, I know. I'm a tinkerer. Love the mechanics of a firearm. They are simple machines that appeases my tinkering side. I also have gotten very mad at a part that won't go back. Have to just know when to put it down and take a break and try again later. The sear cage in the CZ's have taught me that.

Woolly Bugger

Are you a Republican, a Democrat, or a Southerner? This little test will help you decide:

You're walking down a deserted street with your wife and two small children.

Suddenly, a Terrorist with a huge knife comes around the corner, locks eyes with you, screams obscenities, raises the knife, and charges at you...

You are carrying a Kimber 1911 chambered in .45 ACP, and you are an expert shot. You have mere seconds before he reaches you and your family. What do you do?

Democrat's Answer:

Well, that's not enough information to answer the question! What is a Kimber 1911 and what does .45 ACP mean?

Does the man look poor or oppressed? Is he really a terrorist? Am I guilty of profiling? Have I ever done anything to him that would inspire him to attack?

Could I possibly swing the gun like a club and knock the knife out of his hand? What does the law say about this situation?

Does the pistol have an appropriate safety built into it? Why am I carrying a loaded gun anyway, and what kind of message does this send to society and to my children?

Is it possible he'd be happy with just killing me? Does he definitely want to kill me, or would he be content just to wound me?

Should I call 9-1-1? Why is this street so deserted? Can we make this a happier, healthier street that would discourage such behavior.

I need to debate this with some friends for a few days and try to come to a consensus. This is all so confusing!

Republican's Answer:

BANG!

Southerner's Answer:

BANG!
BANG! BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
Click.....

(Sounds of reloading)

BANG!
BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!
BANG!
Click.

Daughter: "Nice grouping, Daddy! Were those the Speer Gold Dots or Federal Premium hollow points?!"

Son: "Can I shoot the next one?!"

Wife: "You are NOT taking that to a Taxidermist!"
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!