“Go fishing Mud, you might learn something.” Doug, 12 May 2019

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, May 13, 2019, 13:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I heeded the peckerwood's advice and went fishing.  I wanted a fresh fish to eat.  I learned, or refined the notion, that I am not a pretentious fly angler. 

You cannot view this attachment.

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

itieuglyflies

Four nice candidates for the frying pan.....and folks wondered why we called the fish in the last photo "Red-Eyes".

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

The Dude

I never knew Fallfish could be considered tablefare.  I would have guessed they taste like shit - like a creek chub.  What are they like?

Also, you better attach a barrel swivel above your rooster tail spinner if you're going to fish it a lot on light line and a spinning reel - line twist is a bitch.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Phil

Quote from: The Dude on May 14, 2019, 09:08:29 AMAlso, you better attach a barrel swivel above your rooster tail spinner if you're going to fish it a lot on light line and a spinning reel - line twist is a bitch.

Heheheh. I was gonna say the same thing, but didn't want to spoil my rep as a highbrow dry-fly fisherman....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Phil on May 14, 2019, 09:52:34 AM
Quote from: The Dude on May 14, 2019, 09:08:29 AMAlso, you better attach a barrel swivel above your rooster tail spinner if you're going to fish it a lot on light line and a spinning reel - line twist is a bitch.

Heheheh. I was gonna say the same thing, but didn't want to spoil my rep as a highbrow dry-fly fisherman....

You can only see a few inches of the mono above the Rooster Tail.  How do you know there was not a barrel swivel a foot or two above the spinner?  Well, there was no employment of a swivel.  I've never had a twist problem with Rooster Tails, Mepps, or Joe Flies.  Now, Panther Martin's are horrible for twisting (for me), so I avoid them.  Plus, most barrel and snap swivels do little to prevent twist in swift current.  If forced to use the damned things, I'd go with a ball chain swivel.  Also, it is easy to remove line twist in flowing water ----- remove the lure/bait, stand in the current and feed out the line until the twist is gone.

Now, you two return to the intellectual salon of your Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing guild.  You've selected the wrong credentials to impress me.  (smiley face)

This kind of fishing takes me back to my youth --- so simple, so few worries, so few responsibilities, so much to explore and learn, so much free time, and so much fun!

PS: I only kept/ate the trespasser, the rainbow.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 14, 2019, 12:03:35 PM
Quote from: Phil on May 14, 2019, 09:52:34 AM

You can only see a few inches of the mono above the Rooster Tail.  How do you know there was not a barrel swivel a foot or two above the spinner?  Well, there was no employment of a swivel.  I've never had a twist problem with Rooster Tails, Mepps, or Joe Flies.  Now, Panther Martin's are horrible for twisting (for me), so I avoid them.  Plus, most barrel and snap swivels do little to prevent twist in swift current.  If forced to use the damned things, I'd go with a ball chain swivel.  Also, it is easy to remove line twist in flowing water ----- remove the lure/bait, stand in the current and feed out the line until the twist is gone.

Now, you two return to the intellectual salon of your Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing guild.  You've selected the wrong credentials to impress me.  (smiley face)

This kind of fishing takes me back to my youth --- so simple, so few worries, so few responsibilities, so much to explore and learn, so much free time, and so much fun!

PS: I only kept/ate the trespasser, the rainbow.

I sometimes wonder what the young Hiner would do if he could see you today.  The fly fishing guide Hiner.  You sir are an anomaly. 

Now hurry up and get yourself a turkey you turkey.

The Dude

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 14, 2019, 12:03:35 PMThis kind of fishing takes me back to my youth --- so simple, so few worries, so few responsibilities, so much to explore and learn, so much free

My fondest memories growing up in Virginia are wading the small streams and rivers for smallmouth bass on 6-lb test and light action spinning rods.  In fact, if I still lived up there today, I'd likely still be fishing spinning gear for smallmouth and never bothered with fly fishing for trout.  It really sucks about those fish kills up there..........
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Phil

I use spinning gear for Smallies every year. Catch the Hell out of 'em on plastics.
<edit on topic> I don't have a fancy collectable antique setup like Muddy though -- just a cheap Shimano.

Yallerhammer

Good stuff, Mud. I actually still quite enjoy breaking out the spinning rod and a Blue Fox Vibrax or Mepps Aglia a couple times a year and waylaying a limit of stocker bows and brooks for the grill.

I also don't generally use the fly rod for these:

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff