Looking for a CRT monitor

Started by dossphoto, December 01, 2009, 19:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dossphoto

WB,
If this doesn't jive with the intent of the board, please trash it....
I am looking for a CRT monitor.  One of the big old clunkers that takes up half of your desk.  I am sick of calibrating this LCD monitor all of the time, so i am gonna set up the crt beside this one just to check color on all my photography work. 
If anyone has one they want to get rid of, just PM me or drop me a line at admin(at)dossphoto.com
Thanks

Woolly Bugger

You have to calibrate CRT tube also, and if you find an old one you might have trouble getting it within range....

jis sayin'
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

dnakamoto

I have one but am down in Raleigh area.  If you are ever by this way shoot me a pm and you can have it.  It actually used it about a year and I switched to an lcd.

dossphoto

Yeah...I know, I have the Spyder 2 and can get my lcd close to where it should be, but it drifts from the proper color within hours.  That combined with the color shift when you move your eyes up and down relative to the monitor bothers me.  Most of the trouble I have now is getting the luminance right on printed images from this monitor now. 
I am hoping I can find a not so old crt that hasn't had the screen burnt just to have as a reference to this high priced POS I use to edit with now. 

dossphoto

Quote from: dnakamoto on December 01, 2009, 20:17:16 PM
I have one but am down in Raleigh area.  If you are ever by this way shoot me a pm and you can have it.  It actually used it about a year and I switched to an lcd.
Thanks,
If I can't find something closer I will definitely keep you in mind. 

rjs123

Quote from: dossphoto on December 01, 2009, 19:25:55 PM
WB,
If this doesn't jive with the intent of the board, please trash it....
I am looking for a CRT monitor.  One of the big old clunkers that takes up half of your desk.  I am sick of calibrating this LCD monitor all of the time, so i am gonna set up the crt beside this one just to check color on all my photography work. 
If anyone has one they want to get rid of, just PM me or drop me a line at admin(at)dossphoto.com
Thanks

I feel your pain Darrin.  I switched to LCD about a year ago. I left my 2 large CRTs in Kansas City because I didnt want to move them.  I have a single HD wide screen monitor now and like it, but most of my PRO work is in sepia so a calibrated monitor isnt as critical. Id like to get a second monitor again though. I like working with two in Photoshop and Final Cut for video editing. If I travel down to Raleigh anytime soon Id be willing to pick that one up for you.  Ill let you know.

OTS

I know your pain Darrin and I know this may not be what you are looking for. First off, get a colorimeter that is bundled with software that generates reports. I use the Blue Eye Pro and LOVE it. Got my MacBook calibrated at a Delta E average of 0.4. Also have a LaCie 526 and got that one calibrated at DE 0.3 and 100% of the ISO coated with 95% of the RGB gamut covered. Love that thing, a bit pricey but is rated as the best wide gamut monitor on the market. This is the part that you would love and the part that I know is the most frustrating: I no longer have to worry about what I see and have complete confidence that the CMYK printers and publishers get my work 100% correct. Had a publisher in the Baltic set up a work station for me in the GA studio with a wide gamut monitor, life was just not the same after :). I am completely obsessed with constantly calibration as I worked, on my old MacBook, for about 6 months without knowing that my logic board was bad. Went back and looked at some of my old photographs and was completely embarrassed about how off they were.

I would reccomend saving up for the LaCie 526 or at least the 324, worth every penny and the 526 luminance is a damned close LCD compared to a high end CRT luminance.

red-haired-boy

Learn to tone by the numbers- use the eye dropper (set to 5x5 pixel sample) and the info pallet (set up to display CMYK and RGB if doing color). This will always be more accurate than a monitor.
Its been a long time since I was doing pre-press work so I can't give you numbers to start with but I'm sure you can find them online somewhere.