Smith River 8/18 - 8/19

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 19, 2007, 22:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I'll wright up something about the trip soon or perhaps someone else will before I get a chance...?Only question is what in the world is that foldger's container doing bungied to the tree\
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

The river was fun to fish, the fish were taking size 16 PTN for me.
I caught browns and rainbows, in the seams and tail outs. One of the browns was a pretty good size, maybe 14" and the rainbows were 10-12". Most of the browns I caught were in the 6"-8" range, with beautiful colors.

It was my first time fishing the Smith. I was amazed to see the high water line from generation. This would not be a river I would wade in during generation.
by my estimation, the water line was close to 3ft above the current water level.

I checked under some rocks and found lots of insects, caddis, mayfly nymphs and some stone fly nymphs. It looked like it had a good insect population in the section we fished.

The most prolific hatch this weekend was bwo's size 18. The sulphur hatch was sporadic, but the were big flies, size 14 with fat bodies. The fish were rising for drys, but mostly sipping emergers coming off.

I used 5 different flies, but the most productive flies were a #16 ptn, a #18 bwo loop wing emerger and a #18 zebra midge.

Lots of different types of water to fish made it interesting, slow pools, fast seams, riffles and tail out water.

It was a good couple of days to be on the water.

Thanks again Damselfly for showing us your home water and fishing with us.

Here are some pics of the weekend fishing.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

brownhunter

I'm glad you all had a great time on the Smith. Those pics are great and that one big brown from TP is extremely nice. Gorgeous colors and excellent fins on him. Thanks for sharing and starting this week off right.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

22midge

sounds like a good day on the Smith---glad TP found this little river to have some fish.Painted fish and good Friends are hard to beat.Laurie darling tell me you are not fishing this here so called technical river with sompin like boo in your hand ;D. Wish I could have followed and learned sompin--be safe Peewee
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Woolly Bugger

As a matter of fact all three of us were fishing bamboo rods, sweet! If you followed TP you would have found nada, as he was cleaning up.

Quote from: 22midge on August 20, 2007, 06:46:43 AM
sounds like a good day on the Smith---glad TP found this little river to have some fish.Painted fish and good Friends are hard to beat.Laurie darling tell me you are not fishing this here so called technical river with sompin like boo in your hand ;D. Wish I could have followed and learned sompin--be safe Peewee
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: absales on August 20, 2007, 13:47:34 PM
I am looking hard for pitchers of damson's and woowe's fishes, I can't find them. Are they in special folders?

jis wonderin.............

I'm just wondeing if you saw the first picture in this tread, my smallest brown trout EVER caught anywhere! Now that take a lot of effort and extreme skill on the hook set, because as you know these little fellows usually end up being launched into the next county. Lauri has some camera problems and besides we were allowing the guest angler our allotment of fish. 

me -There's a season?

troutphisher

I just had better luck fishing, I could have been skunked just as easily  :-\
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Discomidge

Quote from: absales on August 20, 2007, 13:47:34 PM
I am looking hard for pitchers of damson's and woowe's fishes, I can't find them. Are they in special folders?

jis wonderin.............

8@S...I'm lookin' hard for Crawl's butterfly pics ;D
Nice report and glad to see ya got some fishes.

Kim 8)