News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Labor Shortage

Started by Onslow, September 12, 2016, 16:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

Policymakers keep yanking that inflation lever.  One day there will be a response. I remember the late Carter years.....

Sedition and Pockets

Quote from: Stone-Man on September 13, 2016, 18:01:19 PMOne of the big problems that I see is the govt. allowing millions to set on their asses and do nothing when they are physically able
to perform useful labor and make decent wages.  This problem is chronic here in Rural Tennessee. Truly remarkable at the number of welfare recipients between
the ages of 20 to 50.
 There are help wanted signs all over E Tenn. and the newspaper is full of help wanted adds.

JT
Quote from: Stone-Man on September 13, 2016, 18:01:19 PMOne of the big problems that I see is the govt. allowing millions to set on their asses and do nothing when they are physically able
to perform useful labor and make decent wages.  This problem is chronic here in Rural Tennessee. Truly remarkable at the number of welfare recipients between
the ages of 20 to 50.
 There are help wanted signs all over E Tenn. and the newspaper is full of help wanted adds.

JT

The problem is that the bosses want people to slave away for wages that don't pay the goddamn bills.  You want me to work for $10/hr no bennies?  Fuck you.  Pay me.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Sedition and Pockets on May 03, 2021, 10:08:41 AM
the ages of 20 to 50.

JT
the ages of 20 to 50.

JT

The problem is that the bosses want people to slave away for wages that don't pay the goddamn bills.  You want me to work for $10/hr no bennies?  Fuck you.  Pay me.

And when he pays you $15 instead of $10, within a year or so, that $15 will pay the same amount of bills that the $10 did. Wages and inflation are joined at the hip.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Sedition and Pockets

The vast majority of business costs are tied up in fixed capital, not variable capital (labor).  Increasing wages has some impact on prices, but this is vastly exaggerated by the "people should work for slave wages and do their starving gracefully" crowd.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Sedition and Pockets on May 03, 2021, 18:41:19 PMThe vast majority of business costs are tied up in fixed capital, not variable capital (labor).  Increasing wages has some impact on prices, but this is vastly exaggerated by the "people should work for slave wages and do their starving gracefully" crowd.
Keep living in dreamworld. Higher labor costs always = higher costs for products. I've worked all my life. I worked for minimum wage in my younger days. I never expected those jobs to be a career. Instead, I put effort into making my labor worth more than minimum wage, instead of expecting an unskilled job at a McDonald's drive-thru to set me up in an upper middle class lifestyle. The world doesn't owe you a living.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 03, 2021, 18:58:35 PM
Quote from: Sedition and Pockets on May 03, 2021, 18:41:19 PMThe vast majority of business costs are tied up in fixed capital, not variable capital (labor).  Increasing wages has some impact on prices, but this is vastly exaggerated by the "people should work for slave wages and do their starving gracefully" crowd.
Keep living in dreamworld. Higher labor costs always = higher costs for products. I've worked all my life. I worked for minimum wage in my younger days. I never expected those jobs to be a career. Instead, I put effort into making my labor worth more than minimum wage, instead of expecting an unskilled job at a McDonald's drive-thru to set me up in an upper middle class lifestyle. The world doesn't owe you a living.

My first real job outside of restaurant work was working in a printing bindery for $2.45 / hr 60 hrs a week. I was living high on the hog with all that overtime! lol

In my dealings with the corporate world with mergers and acquisitions, downsizing and rightsizing, and synergistic opportunities, the MBA's major goal was a value analysis of every job and the result was always headcount reduction!   
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 03, 2021, 18:58:35 PMThe world doesn't owe you a living.

True, the world does not owe any of us anything.  But how about that human fabricated system firmly embedded within our world?  That program with its rules, laws, rewards, mores, etc., along with its prejudices, influences, etc., all entirely a human/societal construct --- does that system at least owe everyone, regardless of color, gender, family name, etc. a position on the same starting line?  I ain't sure everyone gets a fair shake from the start.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on May 04, 2021, 08:08:25 AM
Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 03, 2021, 18:58:35 PMThe world doesn't owe you a living.

True, the world does not owe any of us anything.  But how about that human fabricated system firmly embedded within our world?  That program with its rules, laws, rewards, mores, etc., along with its prejudices, influences, etc., all entirely a human/societal construct --- does that system at least owe everyone, regardless of color, gender, family name, etc. a position on the same starting line?  I ain't sure everyone gets a fair shake from the start.
That's called life. I'm glad I was born where I was, even if I was born and raised dirt poor. Sure, other people were born with more than I was, but what I do with what I have is up to me. The poorest person in America is born with more than some of the wealthier ones in some parts of the world. A few thousand years ago, all of us were born with flat nothing. Is it fair? Probably not. Does it justify society trying to bring everybody down to the lowest common denominator so that life is fair? No. Because every society that tries to equalize people based on emotion and ideology just winds up making them all dirt poor except for the ruling class, at least historically. 

Al

Quote from: Yallerhammer on May 04, 2021, 09:23:15 AMTrue, the world does not owe any of us anything.  But how about that human fabricated system firmly embedded within our world?  That program with its rules, laws, rewards, mores, etc., along with its prejudices, influences, etc., all entirely a human/societal construct --- does that system at least owe everyone, regardless of color, gender, family name, etc. a position on the same starting line?  I ain't sure everyone gets a fair shake from the start.
That's called life. I'm glad I was born where I was, even if I was born and raised dirt poor. Sure, other people were born with more than I was, but what I do with what I have is up to me. The poorest person in America is born with more than some of the wealthier ones in some parts of the world. A few thousand years ago, all of us were born with flat nothing. Is it fair? Probably not. Does it justify society trying to bring everybody down to the lowest common denominator so that life is fair? No. Because every society that tries to equalize people based on emotion and ideology just winds up making them all dirt poor except for the ruling class, at least historically. 
[/quote]

I am with YH on this. I was also brought up "dirt poor". The old house which I lovely call my "get away cabin" in Virginia would be considered a mansion to us when we were growing up. I came to a lot of "forks in the road". The best choice I made was answering the call to rejoin the army during the Vietnam War. This high school drop out make a few more choices and after a successful military career ended up being called "professor" for another 28 years in well known graduate school.

Lucky, maybe but it all started out by me being born am American. I also knew if I wanted to better my lot in life I had to do more than just wait for someone to give me something. 

Michael Toris

Look! A boomer thread! Lol

Dougfish

It is a boomer thread! LOL.

This boomer wants the minimum wage to go to $15. ASAP.
Inflation has happened without the wage going up. No excuse.
Cost of living has gone up without the wage going up. No excuse.
Rent and home ownership costs have gone up with out the wage going up. No excuse.

Yeah, a lot of us worked for cheap and built we we have now.
But we had opportunity, service, education, skills, trades, etc.
A lot of minimum wage folks don't have those advantages.
A lot, a lot of minimum wage folks are middle age and seniors (like us) who have no
education and experience and have found themselves in a rough spot.

Don't worry. Your burger won't go up a lot. Their taxes might go up a lot more than your
iced tea at Chik Fil A.
More tax money? More money to the public good.
Are you part of "the public"?
Are you part of the "good"?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

Lets talk about social justice and the environment as we behave like cheap bastards in the marketplace, wanting shit, and a lot of it for nothing while throwing away most of what we buy, Lets fly all over the world preaching about how we should deprive ourselves.

One cannot have it both ways. Life choices matter. 

troutrus

Everybody has an opinion. Here's mine.

Frozen minimum wage and right to work laws are the next best thing to slavery for corporate America.

The fight for increase to $15 has been going on for so long, it is now apparent that if adjusted for inflation the min wage should be ~$24 to make the worker whole.

If you still believe in Supply Side Economics, I hope Santa Clause treats you well this Christmas.

Amen!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

There are many that grew up poor, but I doubt comparing the size of our phalluses by how impoverished we were in our youth will add much to the story.  All of us involved in this discussion had a couple of extra spikes in our track shoes, helping us get off that starting line, we were white, and we were male.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on May 06, 2021, 04:51:07 AMEverybody has an opinion. Here's mine.

Frozen minimum wage and right to work laws are the next best thing to slavery for corporate America.

The fight for increase to $15 has been going on for so long, it is now apparent that if adjusted for inflation the min wage should be ~$24 to make the worker whole.

If you still believe in Supply Side Economics, I hope Santa Clause treats you well this Christmas.

Amen!

There needs to be some incentive to perform.  Not everyone is capable of earning $24 an hour.  Wealth does not occur by fiat, but rather innovation and efficiency. Magic wands can be waved all day long, but if folks don't get off their assess and try to be productive and figure shit out, this country will implode....well it already is imploding.