News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

WTB? 8 or 9 wt.

Started by Fire-Fly, February 24, 2008, 15:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I have started to look for a rod to fish for some salmon, steelhead, and some salt water applications such as Red fish. May also use this rod for local carp ponds.I know the best choice would be to get both, but just one for now. Would an 8 wt around 9-9 1/2 ft rod be enough for the fish i mentioned. Or is the 9 wt the way to go?

rockroller

I cannot believe how much I now use my 8.  I got it for Alaskan salmon, but have ended up using it for stripers, shad, and also when targeting hefty smallies and largemouth.  I used to use my 6 for shad, but now find that I prefer the 8 for tossing heavy shad patterns in the wind.  I've never chased redfish, so I can't opine there other than I know a lot of guys use 7s through 9s.  I also haven't chased steelhead.  I feel like the 8 and 9 are both a bit light for king salmon, but fine for everything else.

walt

8wt is also good for tossing big streamers to trout on tailraces.

for sw apps, redfish, bonefish, cuda, even small tarpon, an 8wt will deliver.

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

launchone

An 8 wt. is definitely a rod to have...it may not cover everything, but it is perhaps one of the more versatile rods available.. As Walt said, it can handle most everything from small tarpon to bonefish, reds, sea trouts, and is great for throwing a 350 and a big chunk of meat streamer to brutus browns...The only times you may want more umph is for windy conditions on the flats or when a stouter rod with lifting power is necessary...such as with the Flase Albacore. I would recommend purchasing a high quality rod with a faster action...this will give you more versatility: Sage z-axis/ TCR/Xi2, Winston BII MX, Scott STS/S4, T&T Horizon/Helix, or Loomis GLX, Orvis shit.....any of these will serve you well.... The additional half foot is sometimes a great addition... I have a 9'6'' 6wt. that is a dream and the extra length is great for nymphing and swinging, not to mention it helps when wading by elevating the casting plane....I would suggest going to a shop that carries several different manufacturers and cast them all side by side....just dont play them the fool and then take off to purchase it somewhere on the internets... good luck