News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson Private Water

Started by WoodrowCall, October 19, 2009, 20:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodrowCall

Anyone ever fished the Davidson private stretch before? I'm getting really tired of not catching any fish and I'm willing to try something else. I'd love some advice if anyone's been there before. Thanks

Woolly Bugger

bring lots of money and they aren't necessarily any easier to catch than the wild ones...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: WoodrowCall on October 19, 2009, 20:26:27 PM
Anyone ever fished the Davidson private stretch before? I'm getting really tired of not catching any fish and I'm willing to try something else. I'd love some advice if anyone's been there before. Thanks
Come up to the Smith, i'll show you some good areas and put you on some fish.

WoodrowCall

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on October 19, 2009, 20:30:16 PM
bring lots of money and they aren't necessarily any easier to catch than the wild ones...

Yeah, but at least I know how to get there. I love wild waters, but I'm pretty much tapped out on any river I know of, and it's been too long since I had a decent day of fishing. I tried the Green, which, in my opinion, already looks cleaned out, and I don't know why other DH water wouldn't be the same. I'm running out of spots and it's been months since I caught more than 2 fish in a day. With school back in, I just don't have the time to drive hours and hours and find out there aren't any fish there. At least in the D, I know they're there. I dunno, guess I'm just getting desperate; it seems like any stream I know of has too many fishermen, too few fish, or, even worse, both.

troutfreak

My humble opinion is if you catch a fish on the D it is generally big in size not in numbers.  Unless you get above the hatchery.  Then, numbers might increase.  You need to float or wade the Tuck if you are wanting numbers with decent size fish.

Gofisher

Quote from: WoodrowCall on October 19, 2009, 20:26:27 PM

Man, I'm starting to feel sorry for you after reading of your unsuccessful attempts to catch fish! Try some local ponds for blue gill. One question, are you tying a fy on your tippet?
Good luck and I hope it gets better for you.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

dnakamoto

Woodrow why don't you try some DH waters.  They are stocked monthly, catch and release and best of all free.  After a while they are used to everyone throwing flies at them but you should still catch something.

phg

There's plenty of fish in the D, but they can challenge your abilities.  I don't like to fish at the hatchery too well, simply because those fish get pounded, and can be very difficult ... unnaturally difficult.  There are literally miles of stream that don't get nearly as much pressure, though.  Any of the pullouts on US-276 will put you on pretty good water, although I also avoid the hole at the confluence of the D and Looking Glass Creek.

The key to the D, and many of our other easily accessible streams, is to learn to read the structure of a channelized stream.  There are very few of the traditional bends and curves and undercut banks. Deep pools at the foot of a riff are few and far between.  Instead you have to look for channels and seams and eddies behind submerged rocks.  A 6" deeper trench in the middle of a flat run offers a bit of cover that the trout will take advantage of.

I really think that the stretch from the concrete bridge at the campground up to Avery Creek is great beginner water.  It is hatchery supported, but has a fairly good wild trout population as well, so there's always fish in there.  Just remember, if the water is more than ankle deep, and it's moving, then there could be a trout in it. 

WoodrowCall

I would definitely love to get up to the Smith sometime, Firefly, but I'm gonna need more than a weekend to try a trip like that; I think it would be about 4 1/2hrs from here. I do appreciate the offer and will definitely try and take you up on it when I have more time. Troutfreak, my favorite NC river is the Tuck, but I'm worried that it's gonna fish the same as the Green, which is not very well. Has anyone fished that stream recently? I'm just wondering if there are still fish there after just one stocking. phg, I don't really consider myself a beginner, I've just never had luck on the D, which is what I really tried to fish this summer. I just can't figure that stream out! I typically fish the Chattooga here in SC, but its DH season doesn't open here until November, so I'm going with NC water until then.
So, if no one's been to the Tuck recently, is anything else fishing any good? I've paddled the Nanty, but never fished it...
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it  0--0

Nightcrawler

Have you fished the the Trophy water of the Cherokee Reservation? It's great fishing.

WoodrowCall

Quote from: Nightcrawler on October 20, 2009, 20:41:19 PM
Have you fished the the Trophy water of the Cherokee Reservation? It's great fishing.

I've heard about it, but never been there. Where is it? Do I have to call and make a reservation because of a rod limit or anything? Thanks for the tip!

jwgnc

Try the SoHo.  Search all the threads and you'll find Midge, Midge, Sulphur, Midge, Midge, BWO, Midge, Midge.

Those fish love to eat.   Try it twice.  Your first trip may be frustrating.  Your second trip will be the beginning of a wonderful relationship.
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

WoodrowCall

Quote from: jwgnc on October 20, 2009, 21:18:47 PM
Try the SoHo.  Search all the threads and you'll find Midge, Midge, Sulphur, Midge, Midge, BWO, Midge, Midge.

Those fish love to eat.   Try it twice.  Your first trip may be frustrating.  Your second trip will be the beginning of a wonderful relationship.

Maybe I will give that river another shot, it was awfully pretty when I went up there, and I did catch a couple fish. WB always seems to have great days there, maybe some of his hard work and magic will rub off. Thanks jwgnc!  :j

Woolly Bugger

I've paid my dues on the Davidson! Many trips with only a few fish, but I've found several patterns that seem to work well up there. Midege Rojo  :-X being one of them...

5x or 6x fluorocarbon and persistence help too!

I use to avoid the D because I thought I was jinxed on that river but no more and the colder it gets the better.... 
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

I don't fish there any more, too many weirdos and creeps. It use to be a nice place till the internet came along. Then ever lame ass fisherman that caught a fish or two had to broadcast how great it was with directions on which rock to stand on and what fly to use. Now it's too crowed, and the people are as rude as the fish. :P
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski