News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

East TN weekend

Started by glassfisher, February 04, 2008, 23:09:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glassfisher

I spent 3 days on the Watuga and SOHO in East TN this past weekend.  I hadn't fished he Watuga in awhile, but I was confident I has the SOHO figured out.  Last weekend I really had a productive time with a sz 20 flashabou/olive midge battern I came up with (which looked very similar to a black fly larvae). 

Friday started out great, the temperature was 50 degrees and it was partly cloudy, perfect fishing weather.  I started out on the Watuga and picked up a couple of fish on a sz 20 tan midge.  Not much size to them, but gorgeous fish and they put up a good fight for their size.  Mid morning we decided to move on the the SOHO and the wind picked up and the rain started.  Another 2 hours later and it was all out gale warning.  I managed to pick up one bow in the literal whitecaps on the SOHO, needless to say it wasn't on the same midge that worked a week ago.  My buddy fared much better, landing over 10 fish and losing a 20+ inche monster brown.  We moved downstream into the recently opened spawning waters and I picked up another couple of bows and lost a nice brown.  I was ready to get back to the cabin and have as it turned out a few too many bottles of "warm-up juice".   0--0

The next morning started out late, for some reason I needed to sleep in ...   o-o  Dry fly fishing seemed well suited to a hangover and the Watuga cooperated with a great BWO hatch.  Some of the biggest BWO's I've seen, sz 16 and 18.  I picked up a few fish on 18 parachute and paraloop BWO emergers.

I knew I was ready to hook up with the big one on Sunday and I was starting to put the pieces together.  Prolific BWO's hatching, browns still must be closer to the spawning grounds and holding in faster water.  A couple of hours and 10 fair sized fish later I hooked into what I was looking for.  I cast under a low lying tree and the indicator went down.  Several minutes later I was pulling a size 20 BWO nymph out of the the mouth of a 20 inch brown... finally a good day! 

Enjoy the pics.
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Woolly Bugger

sweet report and nice fish...

btw you suck!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

brownhunter

Very nice report, Glass!!! Oh yeah, nice BROWN 0--0
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

peter p

Peter

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Chaser

Way to go ;hb  Nice pics

TC

benflyfishn

Very niiice. I was up there too, but did not get any that size. :'(  Maybe next time.
What happens on the stream, stays there..........

launchone

Quote from: glassfisher on February 04, 2008, 23:09:44 PM
but I was confident I has the SOHO figured out. 

Just you wait.....
Thanks for the report and pics, glad you had success

Fire-Fly

Nice brown. I was on the Smith last week and saw some bwo's that were around a size 14-16. The biggest i've seen there myself. No fish were rising for them though.

kylemc

cmiller51h

I hit the SoHo on Friday the 15th. It sorta sucked! The wind was blowing all day. We caught 2 between the 2 of us. It was a very long day!
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander