unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

From the Drake

"What a flood!

The N and NE entrance to the Park are unlikely to open thru summer, maybe not even this year. The road is gone in spots along the Soda Butte and Gardiner Rivers. Gardiner is cut off with damage to the 89 bridge at Point of Rock along with washouts on E. River Rd - the old road going up over the hill to Mammoth is being repaired so they should be able to evacuate Gardiner by week end, at least. The entire northern loop of the Park is unlikely to reopen this year, and the southern loop is currently closed with assessments being made on how to limit visitors.

There are bridges and roads out on the Stillwater around Nye. The bridge over Rosebud to Fishtail south of Absarokee is gone. Bridges out over Rock Creek around Red Lodge.

A ton of damage thru Paradise Valley and around Livingston from flooding, tho none of it as bad as in the Gardiner area.

Going to be a strange summer around here."
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

As water crisis worsens on Colorado River, an urgent call for Western states to 'act now'

>>>With the Colorado River's depleted reservoirs continuing to drop to new lows, the federal government has taken the unprecedented step of telling the seven Western states that rely on the river to find ways of drastically cutting the amount of water they take in the next two months.

The Interior Department is seeking the emergency cuts to reduce the risks of Lake Mead and Lake Powell, the country's two largest reservoirs, declining to dangerously low levels next year.

"We have urgent needs to act now," Tanya Trujillo, the Interior Department's assistant secretary for water and science, said during a speech on Thursday. "We need to be taking action in all states, in all sectors, and in all available ways."

>>>"We are facing the growing reality that water supplies for agriculture, fisheries, ecosystems, industry and cities are no longer stable due to climate change," Trujillo said.

Last year, the federal government declared a shortage on the Colorado River for the first time, triggering cutbacks in water deliveries to Arizona, Nevada and Mexico. Farmers in parts of Arizona have left some fields dry and fallow, and have turned to pumping more groundwater.

The cuts have yet to limit supplies for California, which uses the largest share of Colorado River water. But that could soon change as federal officials push all seven states to participate in diverting less water.

https://www.latimes.com/environment/story/2022-06-20/as-colorado-river-reservoirs-drop-states-urged-to-act-now
me -There's a season?

Onslow

There is much more to the Colorado story than the headlines suggest.

In recent months, the flow in the Grand Canyon is been around 10K.  The flow in the Colorado does not change significantly until it reaches Yuma.  That is several dams down from Lake Mead.  A cursory look at satellite imagery  tells the real story.  As the acreage of land irrigated land increases as the land flattens out near the Salton Sea, so does the flow.

The news coverage I've seen thus far has sounded like a broken record.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Colorado's drought is bad. Tree ring history shows it could get a lot worse. 

A new study finds a scorching spell 1,800 years ago robbed the Colorado River of more than one-third of its water.

>>>hat two stooped and warped sentinels in the Great Basin are telling us is a scary story, with a twist of possible redemption.

Approximately 1,800 years after popping out of the ground as seedlings, live bristlecone pines are still talking to us nearly two millennia later. They offer warnings and insight into long-term drought in the West, according to researchers from the Bureau of Reclamation and University of Arizona.

Rings from trees that were alive in the west's Great Basin in the second century A.D. show a devastating 24-year drought back then that makes our current 22-year Western drought look positively moist, the research shows.

The tree rings and other evidence from caves and bogs show the drought cut 32% from the average flow of the Colorado River at Lees Ferry, in northern Arizona near the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

The drought we're living through? It's bad, forcing changes to water use in seven Western states. But by comparison the current drought has cut "only" 16% from recent average flows at Lees Ferry.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/06/24/tree-rings-drought-colorado-river-basin/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Jamie Oliver decided it was time to talk about the Colorado River

John Oliver discusses the water shortage in the American west, how it's already impacting the people who live there, and what God has to say about it.
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 27, 2022, 16:01:10 PMJamie Oliver decided it was time to talk about the Colorado River

John Oliver discusses the water shortage in the American west, how it's already impacting the people who live there, and what God has to say about it.

Wow!  I don't know which god that was at the end, but he seems really pissed. 😳
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Onslow

So there is a lot of talk about drought in the Colorado watershed.

The link below shows the flow of the Colorado at the Utah line.  While I'm sure there is water diversion above this point, the flow here lackss major distortions in terms of diversion.  Yes it is dry now, but this is not unprecedented.  Once again, this is the reminder it isn't so much a supply issue, but a demand challenge.   Too much story fabrication, and not enough data being presented to the public.

There were a few wet years in the 80s, and for some reason, the output during those years seem to be the benchmark for normal. Well it ain't.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/annual?referred_module=sw&site_no=09163500&por_09163500_19083=345733,00060,19083,1951,2022&start_dt=1952&end_dt=2021&year_type=W&format=html_table&date_format=YYYY-MM-DD&rdb_compression=file&submitted_form=parameter_selection_list

Number years with an annual average output below 5000 cfs per decade.  There is been a lack of blockbuster high water years.  The quarter century drought narrative is complete bullshit imo.

1950s > at least 4

1960s > 5

1970s > 3

1980s >  3

1990s > 4

2000s > 5

2010s > 3

trout-r-us

We are not alone. Italians are fearing food and power shortages.

― Heraclitus