As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gun laws

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 02, 2022, 16:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agree or disagree

3-day waiting period
15 (62.5%)
Restrict or eliminate marketing (like tobacco)
6 (25%)
More "red flag" laws
11 (45.8%)
Restrictions on "assault style" weapons
12 (50%)
Require training
11 (45.8%)
Increase taxes to pay compensation for medical, law enforcement and victims
5 (20.8%)
None of the above
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Onslow

The killings will continue with or without guns.  The body count will be lower without them, but it does not fix the rot in our society.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-teen-beaten-death-school-established-lebron-james-foundation-rcna32953

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 11, 2022, 14:43:09 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 22:06:38 PMGood luck with all that.

It was done in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. jis say'in

Incorrect there bossman. Semi auto rifles are category D in Australia and New Zealand. A legitimate reason for ownership and license has to be obtained. Also 5 round magazine max unless you're law enforcement.

I 100% agree with their permit and licensing process though.

Trout Maharishi

Can someone define mass shooting for me? I found many answers and from what I've see hand guns are far and away the weapon of choice. We have multiply mass shootings every weekend in some major cities.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 11, 2022, 20:24:38 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 22:06:38 PMGood luck with all that.

Incorrect there bossman. Semi auto rifles are category D in Australia and New Zealand. A legitimate reason for ownership and license has to be obtained. Also 5 round magazine max unless you're law enforcement.

That would functionally eliminate mass sales of them
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 11, 2022, 21:22:13 PMCan someone define mass shooting for me? I found many answers and from what I've see hand guns are far and away the weapon of choice. We have multiply mass shootings every weekend in some major cities.

Read the wiki page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_shootings_in_the_United_States?wprov=sfti1
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Wiki doesn't seem to have one set legal definition, but it looks like if your shoot 3 or 4 people it's a mass shooting. We are on pace to average about 10 mass shootings a week this year. There were 14 alone in Chicago over Memorial Day weekend. Hand guns lead the way as the weapon of choice by a wide margin. I never remember a time in my life that a human life meant less. :'(  >:(  Drugs, poverty, and hopelessness lead the way, and  mental illness has become common place. I see footage of shoot outs 2 or 3 times a week involving multiple perps running up and down the street in public places shooting at each other like it's D day or something. We need to get the guns out of the hands of these thugs and criminals. My biggest fear at this point is even if I am armed I will be outgunned.
https://news.yahoo.com/us-had-214-mass-shootings-193017176.html
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

In a search for best practices we must look abroad for ideas. It seems that with proper regulation and training it is possible to have your gun and drink beer too.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 11, 2022, 23:56:16 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 11, 2022, 20:24:38 PM

That would functionally eliminate mass sales of them

Yes and no depending on how difficult it would be to get a license/permit. If the permit process would be like our handgun process now with a concealed weapons card, it would be pretty simple to buy in mass. From the "gun show sales" point of view, yes.

streamereater_101691

Quote from: Onslow on June 11, 2022, 20:17:45 PMThe killings will continue with or without guns.  The body count will be lower without them, but it does not fix the rot in our society.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ohio-teen-beaten-death-school-established-lebron-james-foundation-rcna32953

True that, but Timothy mcveigh killed 168 and injured 680 others with old fashioned fertilizer.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 12, 2022, 10:06:30 AM
Quote from: Onslow on June 11, 2022, 20:17:45 PMThe killings will continue with or without guns.  The body count will be lower without them, but it does not fix the rot in our society.

True that, but Timothy mcveigh killed 168 and injured 680 others with old fashioned fertilizer.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/1927-bombing-remains-americas-deadliest-school-massacre-180963355/

― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

Summarizing what has been posted here thus far, the poll indicates a majority would like to see stricter gun control, while the opposition is saying we should be happy with just having guns because bombs would be much worse.

My favorite line out of the entire discussion is credited to Mrs. J's instructions to her children as they head off to school. "if you can be anything, be kind".

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 13, 2022, 05:27:08 AMSummarizing what has been posted here thus far, the poll indicates a majority would like to see stricter gun control, while the opposition is saying we should be happy with just having guns because bombs would be much worse.

My favorite line out of the entire discussion is credited to Mrs. J's instructions to her children as they head off to school. "if you can be anything, be kind".

I'm OK with a 3 day waiting period but not much else. The background checks are already in depth and it's a whole lot easier to get denied a permit to own a hand gun or assualt weapon that you might think. Your background better be clean, no drug charges, DUI, wife beating, or tax cheating. I've never bought or sold a hand gun without a permit, even private sales you'll need one to buy from me. My point is guns are just a tool, we are and evil and sick society. Our main problem with guns is suicides, why is almost no one talking about that? https://preventfirearmsuicide.efsgv.org/about-firearm-suicide/statistics/
― Charles Bukowski

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 13, 2022, 05:27:08 AMSummarizing what has been posted here thus far, the poll indicates a majority would like to see stricter gun control, while the opposition is saying we should be happy with just having guns because bombs would be much worse.

Obviously you aren't listening very well or choose not to comprehend what I'm saying. The bombing was in reference to ken's statement, "the body count will be lower without them, but it does not fix the rot in our society."

As I've stated above before,"

I personally am in favor of background check(even at "gun shows"), raising the age of purchasing any firearm to 21, and holding those accountable for not properly locking up their weapons when not in use and/or when a crime is committed with them."

You've already said it, "I personally would like to see all guns banned." Now tell me how you're going to do it effectively. I'm listening. Remember, "they're just farmers with pitchforks", correct?

Trout Maharishi

If we are willing to train 18/19 year olds to fight and kill for us, we should be able to let them vote, drink, and own a gun. I was twice as crazy by 21 as I was at 18.
― Charles Bukowski

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

We've banned brass knuckles, nunchucks, butterfly knives, switchblades, and a host of firearms and ammunition. 

Why not ban the current weapon of choice when it comes to many of these deplorable killings?

As for the nut jobs out there, not for a second do I believe we have more mental crazies than we did 50 or 100 years ago.  What do we have?  Exposure, social media, and access to a lethal weapon of choice?   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon