As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Gun laws

Started by Woolly Bugger, June 02, 2022, 16:10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agree or disagree

3-day waiting period
15 (62.5%)
Restrict or eliminate marketing (like tobacco)
6 (25%)
More "red flag" laws
11 (45.8%)
Restrictions on "assault style" weapons
12 (50%)
Require training
11 (45.8%)
Increase taxes to pay compensation for medical, law enforcement and victims
5 (20.8%)
None of the above
6 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Woolly Bugger

The solution to mass shooting isn't just to harden school because it  happens in many other locations;
Churches
Shopping centers
Movie theaters
Medical offices
Etc, etc.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

1. Ban the sale of all tactical semi autos to all under the age of 25 unless person is LEO or Military.  How does one know if one is a law abiding citizen at age 18?  This makes no sense.  Insurance companies would probably agree. 

2. Rigorous permitting/training/background checks for all purchasers of guns designed for high capacity capability.  This needs to be on par with the current conceal carry process.

This is not gun control, this is dumbfuck control.  Dumbfucks are using guns as an easy button for personal problems. The reason why kids are not bombing schools because it is not easy. Take the easy out of dumbfuckery. Laws are for to protect society against dumbfucks.  Historically, this is why laws are made.

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 02, 2022, 16:10:00 PMThe solution to mass shooting isn't just to harden school because it  happens in many other locations;
Churches
Shopping centers
Movie theaters
Medical offices
Etc, etc.

And just about everyone of the locations listed are posted as gun-free zones.  Yes I know they are for the most part private property and could be locations where guns are permitted. Owners have the mistaken belief that posting "No guns allowed" they will be free from gun violence.

trout-r-us

Maybe this'll work.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

following on @trout-r-us

Ohio is set to enact a law that allows teachers and other staff to be armed with guns in schools once they have completed up to 24 hours of initial training.

Proponents hope armed teachers will reduce the frequency and deadliness of school shootings, which have become recurrent in the United States. The bill's opponents, including teachers' unions and the state's main police officer union, say it will only make schools more dangerous for children.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ohio-to-let-teachers-carry-guns-after-24-hours-of-training/ar-AAY3ukj

Previously the law required 70 hours of training.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Big J

Been pretty busy with life.  As a father with 3 small kids stories like the Uvalde incident is heartbreaking.  Lets get that out of the way.  No matter what side in the gun argument you are on, nobody wants to see kids die. 

Here are some thoughts on this incident.  Shooter (that will be referred to as POS from here on out) obtained guns legally through a background check at an FFL.  POS was 18.  One proposed law is raising age to 21 for firearm purchases.  I can get behind that but also raise the draft age and voting age to 21 too.  Either you are an adult at 18 or an adult at 21.  I'm fine with making that age 21 but do it fairly.  If you are saying an 18 year old isn't mature enough to own a firearm than he isn't old enough to vote on the trajectory of the nation or die for this nation against his will.  Have some procedures in place for guardian approved joining of military before 21.

Red flag laws are garbage.  There are enough laws on the books to successfully commit someone in a mental health crisis or criminally charge someone to keep them from obtaining firearms or take their firearms away after due process.  The issue is in most of these shootings law enforcement, schools, and government fail to uphold these safeguards.  Police had run ins with the MSDHS POS 23 times?  There were FBI tips on this POS.  Yet they let him off scotch free multiple times because they don't want to deal with him and he is able to legally go buy a gun?  The Uvalde POS had multiple run ins with law enforcement.  Nothing on record to prevent him buying guns.  Schools fail to get kids the help they need.  Most of these POS are severely bullied at school.  School turns a blind eye or do not have the resources to give proper help or attention.  Multiple scenarios of FBI, local police, and schools not following up on tips or reports.  DA's not prosecuting criminals and being lenient and letting them off the hook to the point where they can still pass a background check.  If government agencies cannot even enforce current laws to keep guns out of the hands of evil human beings, why am I going to trust the government to forgo due process and seize firearms based off a tip?  Breaks so many of the constitutional rights.  Right to face accuser, representing yourself in court, right to firearms, right to unlawful seizure of property, right to entering of home without probable cause, etc.  Several cases of red flag laws being misused and leading to death already.  Police kick down my door in the middle of the night unannounced to enact a red flag law I have no idea about guess what I'm grabbing thinking an intruder is breaking in? Seems like a great scenario to be in!  Laws on books that involve due process and holds for mental health checks are good enough, it's just not being effectively used due to government incompetence.

Speaking of government incompetence, how about the Uvalde Police response? Talk about some real cowards there.  School didn't go into lock down mode with a known shooting taking place in area? I want to know if police failed to contact local schools or if principal ignored it.  Heck, the POS fired shots outside of the school!  Why didn't teachers at that time lock their own doors?  Side door propped open by a teacher. So many failures of security.  And I've yet to get confirmation if school had an armed resource officer on duty.  Very thankful for our elementary school being a new school designed around security for kids with one point of entry that you have to be buzzed in from and an armed RSO on duty at all times. 

If a fraction of the money used by the gun control lobby and gun lobby was used for mental health reform and local school resources, then a greater return on actually helping and preventing these scenarios would be accomplished.  Mental health has got to be destigmatized and a priority.  Consoling and proper help given freely.  We waste so much money in this country towards garbage things, providing help to these people would be a benefit to all.  After school programs and supervised free community outreach programs are statistically shown to help foster healthy safe relationships with youth and keep them out of trouble.  Sadly since covid most of these programs have been cut.  We need to get these started back up.  Sure some people aren't going to get the help they need, but I truly believe you could help some of the individuals early on and keep them from committing these heinous acts.

Another note, raise your frickin kids to be good humans!  If I ever catch one of my kids bullying another student or even not sticking up for another student being bullied they will get an earful from me.  Be involved in your kids life.  Ask them how their day is going.  Know their friends and communicate with them.  My wife is a saint and gets most of the credit for raising compassionate, empathic kids.  Every morning before my daughters leave for school she tells them "if you can be anything, be kind". 

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 10, 2022, 06:42:53 AMMaybe this'll work.

Leave it to the raging liberal to post a comedic video regarding a serious matter in our country.

I don't claim to be a "good guy with a gun". Only someone who is willing to defend myself and others from a nut job given the circumstances. We all know the "good guy with a gun" instance happens rarely, one reason being a lot of incidents happen at "gun free zones".
Deterrence of the POS person is easy in my opinion. Make said POS person feel like their "end goal" cannot be accomplished without cost, meaning their life. That doesn't necessarily mean you arm teachers. It only means we have to send a message. The idea that guns/weapons "could" be on the premises, and they will be used to stop said POS if they decide to act stupid. A message that said POS will not be able to enter the school with a weapon without consequences.

Woolly Bugger

This is a stupid proposal and a waste of money!

NC lawmaker calls for study on limiting gun shops near schools

>>>The amendment proposed by Sen. Natalie Murdock calls for a study to pinpoint gun shops and retailers within a quarter mile, or 1,400 feet, of a school.

"We're not trying to stop gun sales. We're trying to keep our children safe, so they have the freedoms to get an education," she said during an announcement Thursday.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/nc-lawmaker-calls-for-study-on-limiting-gun-shops-near-schools
me -There's a season?

trout-r-us

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 09:29:45 AMLeave it to the raging liberal to post a comedic video regarding a serious matter in our country.

Alex, I'm glad to see you agree that the "good guy with a gun" mantra is comedic.

Also, if liberal means someone who supports gun control to whatever level it takes to make our children and other innocent people safer, I am proud to wear that label. However I don't consider myself to be a raging anything; at least I don't feel enraged.

Now this is what I consider enraged:

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

streamereater_101691

Quote from: trout-r-us on June 10, 2022, 12:15:25 PM
Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 09:29:45 AMLeave it to the raging liberal to post a comedic video regarding a serious matter in our country.

Alex, I'm glad to see you agree that the "good guy with a gun" mantra is comedic.

Also, if liberal means someone who supports gun control to whatever level it takes to make our children and other innocent people safer, I am proud to wear that label. However I don't consider myself to be a raging anything; at least I don't feel enraged.

Now this is what I consider enraged:

I don't think it's funny at all. I think it's a damn shame. I think it's utterly ridiculous that while we are trying to have a sensible conversation, you're posting a condescending video that makes fun of the problems at hand. Real problems that are going to continue if we don't get some type of grip on them.

While some may be astonished, I personally am in favor of background check(even at "gun shows"), raising the age of purchasing any firearm to 21, and holding those accountable for not properly locking up their weapons when not in use and/or when a crime is committed with them.

Those things seem pretty easy implement to me? A lot easier than trying to ban specific weapons like the left is pushing? My m1a is much more powerful than my AR, but the AR gets all the bad rap because it looks different? Sounds to me like the left wants a full ban on semi-auto weapons? Good luck with all that.

trout-r-us

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 22:06:38 PM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 10, 2022, 12:15:25 PM

Sounds to me like the left wants a full ban on semi-auto weapons? Good luck with all that.

Not sure about what "the left" wants, as I only speak for myself. I personally would like to see all guns banned.
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

You cannot view this attachment.
― Heraclitus

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 22:06:38 PMGood luck with all that.

It was done in Australia, New Zealand, and Canada. jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: streamereater_101691 on June 10, 2022, 22:06:38 PMAR gets all the bad rap because it looks different?

They are getting that notoriety by the mass casualties that they have inflicted and the carnage they cause as the "weapon of choice" in so many mass shootings.

Journalists, it's time to show the bodies of mass shooting victims
Display a photograph or three that can help the public understand exactly what happens when a weapon designed for war is unleashed on innocent, unarmed people, write David Boardman and Amy Goldberg.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/commentary/graphic-images-shooting-victims-journalism-ethics-20220608.html

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Banning all guns would have serious unforeseen consequences that are unimaginable.

Prohibition didn't help a damn thing because people suck, and if peeps did not suck, there would have been no prohibition.

If fossil fuels were banned, the carnage that would ensue would be probably be worse than CO2 levels reaching 700PPM. 2 Billion would probably starve to death within 30 days of such prohibition, but hey we fixed this whole climate change thingy....or not.

Knee jerk reactions accomplish nothing.