News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Ukraine

Started by Trout Maharishi, February 24, 2022, 05:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 01, 2022, 18:01:31 PMWhy are we still buying Russian oil?

Because we no longer produce our own. We need to build more bird choppers.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Dougfish

We are number one in oil production.
Forbes latest report. (And everybody's chart is a little different.)
But we don't need to buy Russian oil, either.
Our next car will be electric/hybrid.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Dougfish on March 01, 2022, 19:09:28 PMWe are number one in oil production.
Forbes latest report. (And everybody's chart is a little different.)
But we don't need to buy Russian oil, either.
Our next car will be electric/hybrid.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

That chart is the world's top ten consumers of oilhttps://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapier/2020/06/26/the-worlds-top-10-oil-producers-and-oil-consumers/?sh=51abea6b2303. Yes the US is the top producer followed by Saudi Arabia, and Russia. My point was if we are going to sanction the Russia government, why are we picking and choosing which industries will be effected? Sanctions on their oil industry could be crippling.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

driver

The US government doesn't buy the oil. Mega oil companies buy the oil, only a couple of the big ones are US based. And god forbid you tell one of these mega corps what to do.

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: driver on March 01, 2022, 21:24:47 PMThe US government doesn't buy the oil. Mega oil companies buy the oil, only a couple of the big ones are US based. And god forbid you tell one of these mega corps what to do.

You're right, but America has some huge ones. Exxon is the leading one and it's only ranked 7th in the world. https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/leading-oil-and-gas-companies-in-the-us.html#:~:text=Leading%20Oil%20And%20Gas%20Companies%20In%20The%20US,largest%20oil%20and%20gas%20company%20in%20the%20US. Some of them are voluntarily opting out, EXXON pulled the plug on some of the production they manage today and said no more Russian projects going forward. https://www.wsj.com/articles/exxon-to-shut-down-oil-production-in-russia-after-ukraine-attack-11646180028#:~:text=Exxon%20Mobil%20Corp.%20said%20it%20is%20halting%20operations,massive%20Sakhalin%20Island%20development%20in%20Russia's%20Far%20East. Could the reason be oil was 106+ a barrel today and currently 109+ a barrel on the futures market in an economy that is already spiraling out of control from the highest inflation in 40 years?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Tyranol, available at MyPillow, Hobby Lobby, Cracker Barrel, and other conservative companies. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

driver

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 04, 2022, 11:59:41 AMTyranol, available at MyPillow, Hobby Lobby, Cracker Barrel, and other conservative companies. 

Thats some funny shit. Great comment as well.

troutboy_II

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 01, 2022, 17:00:25 PM
Quote from: troutboy_II on March 01, 2022, 10:55:41 AM
Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 01, 2022, 01:21:28 AMI'm not in favor of freezing the assets of any private citizen short of them breaking some international law. Plus American corporations do a lot of business in Russia, are we going to sieze all of their assets as well? The freezing of assets of the wealthy may harm them in the short term but it's the ordinary citizen that's going to suffer the most.

I respect uour right to your position, but do you have a better idea?

TB

I know you have a banking back ground so I'm sure you understand this side better than most. How would you like to be running a large bank with a couple of wealthy Russians with billions/millions of dollars in your bank and now all of a sudden the government is telling you to freeze their accounts? I'm not against economic sanctions, I'm against the seizure and forfeiture of assests from private individuals. Plus would you want people from those alphabet agencies showing up Monday morning right before you open? I have no idea what to do. I still can't believe Russia is doing this.

Let's see, freeze account means the deposits can't leave the bank.  No mention of forfeiture that I have seen so far, although that could happen down the road I suppose.  And I probably can drop or eliminate the interest I'm paying on the deposit and relend it at increasing rates?  Sounds like a win-win for the bank to me.  And as for dealing with the regulators, that's a constant issue these days.  In fact, most large banks have an actual regulator from the FDIC or Comptroller's Office on site all the time now. Is it a pain in the ass?  Yes.  Is it something new to have to deal with? No, not in the least.

And IMHO, most bankers I have worked with or met over the years (and I admit I didn't work in NYC, so ...) were as patriotic as they come.  "Fuck 'em" was a legitimate banking term and if appropriate to apply to what Putin is doing to Ukraine (and it certainly is), then I think most if not all banks would be proud to hurt the bastard and/or his friends+ if they can. 

I understand your concern about the slippery slope of seizure of an individual's assets by the government without a good reason - but in this case, I think there is a legitimate reason to take this action.  This beats the alternative of a shooting war any day and if it reinforces the understanding that Russia cannot dictate to the rest of the world without consequence, then I like this consequence.  Particularly considering an armed response as an alternative.

Frankly, I am somewhat amazed that the rest of the world has joined in as quickly and in as coordinated a manner as they have.  And it seems to be working.  Time will tell, but the West seems to be cranking up the pressure each day and that will hopefully have the desired result.  Nobody knows at this point.  And I doubt that nothing is happening behind the scenes to take more overt action if required, but let's hope not it's not needed.

Finally, I guess I could have pointed out that Russia is clearly not against the "seizure and forfeiture of assests (sic) from private individuals" you are against.  So, as I said before - fuck Putin and the horse he road naked on!

My $.02 since you asked. :drum  <-;:  :wave  :wave  :wave

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

here's doug's posted tweet
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

Rex Chapman? The has been NBA star/ drug addict that was stealing stuff from the Apple Stores? Twitter is not for me. I watched and interview with Jack Dorsey and his head lawyer on Joe Rogan. I felt like I needed a shower and a hour with a therapists. Seek kind people who are smarter than you and making a positive difference in the world. I dont' give a crap what LeBronnie, Chapman, or Bruce Jenner thinks.
― Charles Bukowski

Trout Maharishi

TBII I knew I could count on you. Your words were spoken like a true banker "And I probably can drop or eliminate the interest I'm paying on the deposit and relend it at increasing rates?  Sounds like a win-win for the bank to me." No wonder lawyers and bankers top the least trusted and most hated list. I worked in a Savings and Loan in the early 80 and it was one of the happiest days of my life when they came to me and told me the bank was folding and I would be laid off. I didn't wait, I emptied my dest drawers in the trash can and grabed the bottle of Jack Daniels I kept in the bottom desk drawer and never looked back. I want Russia to stop as much as anyone, but we are a nation of laws, and trying to seize the assets in this manner is wrong.  It may not be as easy as some think either. https://slate.com/business/2022/03/seizing-russian-billionaires-yachts-and-penthouses-how-will-biden-do-it.html  A strict energy import embargo could make Russia feel the pain quick and it would be relatively easy to do, but the government seems unwilling to take this step.
― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

TM, just say it. Biden fucked up by declaring war on domestic energy (political opponents) at the cost of national security. Fashion wins out over common sense (low class think) with the Democrats. And yes, this recklessness is just as asinine as many of Trump's golden moments we treasure so dearly.

Trump was right on Russia in terms of policy.  Rhetoric, not so much.  Stiff sanctions, keep the door open, and have a backup plan if shit hits the fan. This is not rocket science. If not broke, don't fix.