News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

The Gravel Bar / Re: SCOTUS
Last post by trout-r-us - June 25, 2022, 17:13:38 PM
But at least they're apolitical. 🤣🤣🤣
And of course there's separation of church and state.

An interesting perspective.
The Gravel Bar / SCOTUS
Last post by Onslow - June 25, 2022, 12:32:02 PM
The makeup of the current Supreme Court is

Jackson > Non affiliated
Roberts > Catholic
Sotomayor > Catholic
Alito > Catholic
Kavanaugh > Catholic
Breyer > Jewish
Kagan > Jewish
Coney-Barrett > Catholic
Gorsuch > Born and raised Catholic
Thomas > Catholic

22% of the US is Catholic, and 2 percent is Jewish. Around 45 % of the US is Protestant in aggregate.

It seems elitism and the charmed life of most of the justices is clouding their vision, and forget some children are born completely unable to function, period.  Where is the mercy and grace?  Only a profoundly thoughtless rube would reply "its Gods will".  If that is Gods will, then lets shut down all hospitals because all intervention pertaining to ALL health matters is defiance of "Gods will". 

Most Jews believe life starts at the first breath.

God help us all.  Between the perverts and zealots and bozos, we're finished.

The Gravel Bar / Re: Corona Virus
Last post by Onslow - June 25, 2022, 11:52:36 AM
Quote from: trout-r-us on June 25, 2022, 11:05:57 AM
Quote from: Onslow on June 25, 2022, 07:16:03 AMWell it ain't over. 3 out of 4 in my household succumbed for the first time last week, and heck, it isn't a high risk time of year. 

Sorry to hear. Hope they're not too sick.

Thanks

I've been fearing the results of my MIL contracting it. She is 89 with asthma, but she pulled through.  A death sentence was anticipated.

We've been very cautious.  I've been to the movies maybe twice and church twice since the pandemic started. There was never a "return to normal".
The Gravel Bar / Re: Corona Virus
Last post by trout-r-us - June 25, 2022, 11:05:57 AM
Quote from: Onslow on June 25, 2022, 07:16:03 AMWell it ain't over. 3 out of 4 in my household succumbed for the first time last week, and heck, it isn't a high risk time of year. 

Sorry to hear. Hope they're not too sick.
The Gravel Bar / Re: Water Temp Watch
Last post by Phil - June 25, 2022, 10:29:34 AM
Yep, The Linville River has gotten progressively worse in the last 30 years and now sucks a huge root.
Last post by Onslow - June 25, 2022, 10:12:21 AM
I've seen the trib congregating on the portion of the Linville located on the BRP property.  Like Shavers, the Linville is a high altitude watershed that is very narrow, with scant tribs.  I'm of the opinion any large stream with poor quality or very small tributaries are highly susceptible to collapse, and at best are poor fisheries. Like Shavers, the Linville is also a very warm watershed, partly due to development and canopy removal.
The Gravel Bar / Re: unlimited it's the water, ...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - June 25, 2022, 09:39:50 AM
Colorado's drought is bad. Tree ring history shows it could get a lot worse. 

A new study finds a scorching spell 1,800 years ago robbed the Colorado River of more than one-third of its water.

>>>hat two stooped and warped sentinels in the Great Basin are telling us is a scary story, with a twist of possible redemption.

Approximately 1,800 years after popping out of the ground as seedlings, live bristlecone pines are still talking to us nearly two millennia later. They offer warnings and insight into long-term drought in the West, according to researchers from the Bureau of Reclamation and University of Arizona.

Rings from trees that were alive in the west's Great Basin in the second century A.D. show a devastating 24-year drought back then that makes our current 22-year Western drought look positively moist, the research shows.

The tree rings and other evidence from caves and bogs show the drought cut 32% from the average flow of the Colorado River at Lees Ferry, in northern Arizona near the beginning of the Grand Canyon.

The drought we're living through? It's bad, forcing changes to water use in seven Western states. But by comparison the current drought has cut "only" 16% from recent average flows at Lees Ferry.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/06/24/tree-rings-drought-colorado-river-basin/
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - June 25, 2022, 09:35:20 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on June 25, 2022, 07:24:21 AMShavers Fork is wide open to the sun.
For 15+ miles off that mountain.

I've only fished Shaver's Fork once, many moons ago in June.  Camped 2 nights and only fished one day if I correctly remember.  It is a beautiful area (birds, altitude, etc.), but the fishing that year at that time was dismal. Fished beautiful water without seeing a fish, until discovering a trib entering from the east.  Downstream of the confluence were trout stacked, facing the incoming cooler water. 

The only other stream where I've seen trout congregating below a cooler trib was on the Beaverkill in NY.  Coming back from an insect meeting in Maine, I decided to stop near Roscoe for a day or 2 of fishing.  It was midsummer but I had no idea that the Bkill warmed that much.  Traveling downstream from Roscoe I saw no anglers.  A mystery until I got down to Horton Run (Creek).  Below Horton there were hundreds of trout crammed into the obviously cooler flow from the trib; it was black with trout, similar to what one would see in the raceways of a hatchery.  You don't fish under these conditions.  I went way upstream on the Willowemoc and found a young kid fishing in much cooler water.   
The Gravel Bar / Re: Unlimited Fly Fishing News...
Last post by Woolly Bugger - June 25, 2022, 09:20:01 AM
88-year-old gives young angler the fly-fishing rod he made as a teen

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

>>>In support of his new hobby of fly fishing, 11-year-old Eli Billard from Moncton received a special fishing rod as a gift.

Made with four pieces of bamboo and about six feet long, the fishing rod was handmade by Pat Gillespie, who is now 88 but made the rod when he was just 16.

Gillespie said he threaded and varnished the rod himself, and it was used to fish many rivers in New Brunswick. His hope is that Eli "enjoys it as much as I did over the years."

Gillespie learned about Eli's new love for fly fishing through a community pastoral letter delivered to his door in early June by Eli's father, Aaron Billard, the minister at St. John's United Church in Moncton.

In the letter, Billard said he and his son were on a fishing trip along the Molus River, a tributary of the Richibucto, when a friend showed Eli how to fly fish and cast.

"You could just see this passion spark in Eli about the joy of this moment of learning how to cast. ... When he finally got it right, it was just this beautiful moment along a beautiful river in New Brunswick on a beautiful evening."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/generous-gift-for-a-new-fly-fishing-loving-little-boy-1.6500335
Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by Woolly Bugger - June 25, 2022, 09:08:53 AM

85 sunny, gas $4.59

With morning chores done I headed up to the river a bit earlier than the last several times. I did a drive by at the hay field, still not mowed. I was prepared to make the hike in but will wait for the tall grass to be cut. I went on up to the damn dam. There was nothing coming off the water and refusing to nymph I caught nothing for the first hour or so, finally around 2:30 the sulfurs started to pop off and a few fish started to look up. The hatch was pitiful and never got the fish going with abandon. I moved on up and explored the upper pools and runs.

My knees were locking up from the cold water and I climbed out around 5, I was headed back to the car when I ran into The Driver. He had managed to get away late and was tracking me down -- Not seeing me right away he went to gear up and realized that he had forgotten a reel, leader, and socks! Fortunately, I had a spare reel with a 6WF line and provided a fresh leader. Then the Driver surprised me with an "Upper Smith Special" custom 8' 1wt rod! I guess he thinks that I'm over gunned with a 5 wt. I've got a CFO 1 with a 2wt line, that I'll try out the next time I go, Sunday or Monday,

The hatch was petering out and we tried the lower run before moving downstream hoping to find an evening hatch. Birds were working the water and I quickly caught some rising fish.

I worked the main run, while Driver went down around the corner and found another run of risers.

We fished till 8:30

Update

Perfect match, CFO I

You cannot view this attachment.

Support the BRFFF