Smith River Generation Weekend Schedule

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 19, 2016, 10:48:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Currently we are going to be dealing with a 10am to 2pm Sat Sun release...

10 - 2 is fine with me.
1 (5.9%)
3 hours both days
2 (11.8%)
2 hours  both days
5 (29.4%)
1 hours on both days
2 (11.8%)
4 hours on Sat
0 (0%)
3 hours on Sat
0 (0%)
2 hours on Sat
1 (5.9%)
1 hour on Sat
0 (0%)
4 hours on Sun
3 (17.6%)
3 hours on Sun
2 (11.8%)
2 hours on Sun
0 (0%)
1 hours on Sun
0 (0%)
No Weekend Generation!
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

I think the should give me the controls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: driver on May 19, 2016, 11:01:21 AM
I think the should give me the controls.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

not likely...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

VaTrout

I actually think the cold water in the winter is going to hinder the river more than anything expects.  Trout up there already live in perpetual winter.  Now they'll get it 7 days a week all during the winter!
June/July/August/maybe September....run the hell out of those turbines!

Al

Was not an option but I would compromise with three hours on Saturday but alternate to Sunday every other weekend.

The head biologist Scott Smith and his subordinate George Palmer say four hours is definitely hurting the fishery.  They would like one hour but that is not enough water for the paddlers - so let's compromise.

George told us today they can document that fishermen have a greater economic impact then paddlers.

BTW - A few of us helped shock sample with a raft today. Saw lots of fish but most areas were way to dangerous to attempt wading. Saw one fellow at the trestle pool but he was having a hard time staying upright.

rford

I checked 4 hours on Sunday before I read Al's post.  I was agree with his posts especially in light of the informaiton showing that 4 hours is unhelpful to the fish. 

IFStultz

10-12. Would allow for morning and afternoon fishing on most of the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: IFStultz on May 20, 2016, 13:20:07 PM

Here is my problem with 10 - 2! Suppose I would like to fish the Trestle Pool or any other part of the old Special Regs section, because 1, I don't have to buy an out of state license and 2. it is the most beautiful part of the river IMHO.

Well I have to drive an hour an a half to get there and then hike on in, say 2 hours from when I leave home to when I wet a line. Not being a early riser, lets say I leave home by 7 that puts me on the river at 9 and the water will push me off at 11:00 to 11:30! Now I've got no choice but to wait for the water to fall, they cut it off at 2, but it will be 4 or later before the water has fallen in the Special regs section...

Now you might say, go ahead and spend another $40+ dollars to fish the other parts o the river, but #1, I don't like fishing in Bassett, #2 I don't care for stocked rainbows.

me -There's a season?

IFStultz

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 20, 2016, 13:44:54 PM
Quote from: IFStultz on May 20, 2016, 13:20:07 PM

Here is my problem with 10 - 2! Suppose I would like to fish the Trestle Pool or any other part of the old Special Regs section, because 1, I don't have to buy an out of state license and 2. it is the most beautiful part of the river IMHO.

Well I have to drive an hour an a half to get there and then hike on in, say 2 hours from when I leave home to when I wet a line. Not being a early riser, lets say I leave home by 7 that puts me on the river at 9 and the water will push me off at 11:00 to 11:30! Now I've got no choice but to wait for the water to fall, they cut it off at 2, but it will be 4 or later before the water has fallen in the Special regs section...

Now you might say, go ahead and spend another $40+ dollars to fish the other parts o the river, but #1, I don't like fishing in Bassett, #2 I don't care for stocked rainbows.

I hear ya. I avoided a license for years this same way and have an hour and a half ride to the river myself. I said 10-12 not 10-2. I prefer the upper section myself and most folks won't be looking for an afternoon hatch on the lower end so maybe the water being up til dark down there isn't an issue for most of us. We may have to consider those folks that fish down low and their wants as well though.

Big J

From what I understand, a 2 hour generation is not enough according to the Kayakers.  At least that is what they are saying.  And honestly my major concern is what impact to the river is 7 days a week of cold water in the winter going to do to the insect life and trout?  But all that is moot if the trout do not survive this summer.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on May 20, 2016, 14:39:37 PM
  But all that is moot if the trout do not survive this summer.

and the weekend rec release has nothing to do with that...
me -There's a season?

IFStultz

From what I understand, a 2 hour generation is not enough according to the Kayakers.  At least that is what they are saying.  And honestly my major concern is what impact to the river is 7 days a week of cold water in the winter going to do to the insect life and trout?  But all that is moot if the trout do not survive this summer.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the water coming out of the dam is warmer than the rest of the river in winter? Fish go deep in winter because the water is warmer and the water from the dam comes from the depths of the lake?
Why wouldn't 2 hours be enough? 4 hours seriously limits fishing opportunities and supposedly is hurting the fishery.

VaTrout

True. I think this summer will kill all the trout in the lower river. And if this 7 day a week stuff takes off, it will kill all the trout in the upper river.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: VaTrout on May 20, 2016, 14:57:11 PM
True. I think this summer will kill all the trout in the lower river. And if this 7 day a week stuff takes off, it will kill all the trout in the upper river.

What about the Snail Darter??? Who's speaking up about the ENDANGERED Snail Darter??
me -There's a season?

Big J

Quote from: VaTrout on May 20, 2016, 14:57:11 PM

I brought that point up in the meeting and he said "Scott Smith says he does not know how the cold water will affect the trout in the upper and lower river.  The trout will probably spread lower on the Smith."  Even though my point was there was not going to be any high number of fish down low after this summer and you all are trashing the river at the top with the cold flows year around shifting from flood levels to normal levels multiple times a week.  Also said "there will be the exact same amount of water going through the dam each week, it will just be spread out over 7 days to meet Henry County water allotments."   :-\