News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

In honor of Beetle and his request – let's get this party started.  Plus, we might as well introduce a cool word from the book.

I'm reading this one now – very good read.

The Invention of Nature, Alexander Von Humboldt's New World, by Andrea Wulf

cajole – to persuade or coax

This one is my fun re-read.

Alaska's Wolf Man, by Jim Rearden

cheeckako - a greenhorn
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dee-Vo

I'm in the middle of Woolly's suggested read: "The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey"

I'm also in the middle of John Galligan's fly-fishing mystery series. I think I'm currently immersed on the third book of the series.

As of lately, I struggle to find time to sit down and read in peace. Pisses me off. I have books stacked on my desk at work, nightstand at home, and tables and counters throughout other parts of my house - and no time to enjoy. Sad.

Dougfish

Anything and everything Bryson.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Currently reading this. Best factual WW1 book I have ever picked up.

Some might call this a hit job by the author, but it is a scary look at the military and paramilitary situation and its history.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Phil

sanjuanwormhatch

I can get behind this.

I really liked River of Doubt.  I read that in the midst of a few other historical non-fictions: Blood and Thunder, Empire of Summer Moon, Rebel Yell.  For some reason I kind of lump those together.  Also because it is somewhat Teddy related, Brinkley's book on Alaska is really good.

Currently reading "No Simple Highway" which is supposed to be a fresh look/perspective on the Dead.  It's alright.  Not very fresh in my opinion.

Also reading Mattheson's Shadow Country.  Dense.  Lots of characters.  Well read.  about 250 pages in and I'm kind of like "what's the point."

Have read a few Tim Keller books lately.  I think they are a good mix of digestibabily but well referenced.  Went down a CS Lewis path too (whose work Keller unapologetically models many arguments after).

A really good day.  I think the best parts were on drug policy (no surprise since it's written by a lawyer who focused a lot of her career defending drug offenders and teaching drug policy).  Somewhat interesting read.  Could be a little less me-y.

On the hopper:
Guy Clark bio
Southern Power, Southern water (talk about dense)

driver

River of Doubt is like a factual thriller. Love that one.
I lile Bryson but sometimes he gets old and annoying and I have to stop.

driver

If any of you like non-fiction nature reads. Check out Bernd Heinrich

Phil

In nonfiction, I'm presently re-reading (for the nth time) Bruce Catton's Civil War trilogy.

NCsporksman

^ it's awesome, I had 2 and had to track down the last one. Worth it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Big J

I'm going on a year of reading the Tetralogy Gleim CPA Course Review.  I'm only halfway through, but I can strongly give it a non recommend. 

Yallerhammer

River of Doubt was a good read. I wish we still had presidents like Teddy.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Jfey

I also know how to read.  Just finished Brown Dog.  Evaluating options for my next book

Yup, going fishing

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM
In honor of Beetle and his request – let's get this party started.  Plus, we might as well introduce a cool word from the book.

I'm in favor of a Geert Wilders pompadour thread.

bmadd

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on March 14, 2017, 12:08:08 PM
Also reading Mattheson's Shadow Country.  Dense.  Lots of characters.  Well read.  about 250 pages in and I'm kind of like "what's the point."

I'm currently trying to decide what to start next and that is sitting on my shelf. Not tempting me as much anymore.

Quote from: Jfey on March 14, 2017, 14:44:18 PM
I also know how to read.  Just finished Brown Dog.  Evaluating options for my next book

I speak for us all in that we are very surprised, but happy you learned to read. If you liked Harrison and want another, A Good Day To Die is a good one.

sanjuanwormhatch

should read "well written".

I do wonder if there are so many characters it takes that long just to develop them to get into the meat. 

His book on the AIM movement in the 70s is great.  Also very dense but very through on an interesting topic (esp in light of Dakota Access stuff now).