News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Local Trip Reports / Re: Smith-Continued
Last post by streamereater_101691 - Today at 18:21:01 PM
Quote from: creakycane on Today at 14:08:36 PMA 16 sparkledun in light olive or sulphur seems to work well.   Saves me from messing with cdc.  Too hot for me today, however!
FWIW, I believe the Z-long or poly shuck helps alot.

Cdc with the poly shuck gets my vote. Keeps the ass end up. Jeff Wilkins showed me that one. If you don't like cdc, you're probably not pre treating it. My "soldier" line up is 3 dozen flies that are all pre treated.
Last post by creakycane - Today at 14:08:36 PM
A 16 sparkledun in light olive or sulphur seems to work well.   Saves me from messing with cdc.  Too hot for me today, however!
FWIW, I believe the Z-long or poly shuck helps alot.
I dunno if I'm a good enough caster for a "quality" line @ $35 and a "Better quality" line @ $100 to make much difference. 
 :o Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on Today at 10:46:02 AMI've been using that line for a long time with no problem at all — what's your beef streamereater?

I fished both lines side by side on similar rods one day. The more $$ line floated better in moving water, was less likely to get pulled under, has color indication for the head/running line(judging distance), and has a very small texture that shoots through the guides better along with feel...just my opinion.
I've found that I can fish a more expensive line/cheeper rod combo better than a cheaper line/expensive rod combo if that makes sense.
Gear Reviews / Portable Tire Inflator
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 11:33:40 AM

I've been looking for a reliable inflator for quite some time. They are handy to have especially when traveling to remote locations. Recently my TPiS light flashed on the way home, stopped in at a gas station only to find that their air pump was out of service. One tire was just a little low. The next day I began my search for an inflator again and came across the Milwaukee M12 with great reviews, on amazon and YouTube. A bit pricy, I scoured the interwebs and found the kit (inflator, battery, and charger) for $120 at Home Depot. I suspected that this listing might have been a mistake and would only be the M12 without battery and charger.

I was pleased when the kit arrived and after charging the battery, I topped off my tires (1 - 1.5 psi low) in a matter of munites for all four. The air hose screws on, but you can add a quick adapter if needed.

And my GF needed to be pumped up also, her tires were 30, 29.5, 29, 29.5 and I topped them off to 34 psi, this didn't take too long, and the pump performed well shutting off at the "dialed" in pressure. 

So, after topping both sets of tires the battery showed 3/4  bars, and I charged it up when I got home.

I've been using that line for a long time with no problem at all — what's your beef streamereater?
Now Ya tell me....  :o
Last post by Woolly Bugger - Today at 08:15:53 AM
86 Scattered clouds

R.I.P Bob Neuwirth

I pulled up to a usually deserted urban run where I've caught an evening hatch several times recently. I walked the high bank and not much was happening, so I grabbed a beer before gering up while continuing to watch the water. I saw a couple of risers and concluded that it was going to turn on soon. Then I heard some splashing down below and to my surprise an angler was wading up the run casting a nymph rig. He moved so quickly only one drift before quickly taking a few more steps upstream. He was young and moved with agility in the fast deep water at the head of the run, which he covered the whole 40 yards in only a few minutes. He had caught nothing. Then he sat down on the bank and rerigged his flies. I wasn't sure whether to move on or wait for him to clear this area. I waited and when he stood back up, he was flinging a streamer down and across. In five minutes, he disappeared downstream and by the time I geared up and got in the water he was nowhere to be seen.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

It was good to see a youth out there; he was making do with some makeshift gear, needed a hat and a proper vest or sling bag and needed to slow down and study the water.
I waded into position, prepped my fly, and cast. Bam, a brown rose and took the sulfur puff daddy.

The hatch was sparce and the fish were picky, but I was catching enough that I didn't think about relocating to another spot despite hearing about a better hatch upstream. I must have caught close to two dozen brown trout in three hours, they were small, 6 – 12 inches, but it was a great way to cool off in the evening.

Last post by Dougfish - Today at 07:04:03 AM

Sulfurs were popping off in waves. Sometimes for 5 minutes, sometimes more. Long and short breaks between.
A couple of times clouds of #22-24 pale Cahills? came off. Fish did not seem to be keying on them.
Took a while to get dialed in on the right emerger.

Halos!

:cheers

Support the BRFFF