News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

what's the best way to avoid

Started by badankles, May 12, 2006, 09:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badankles

i look forward to the warm weather so i can lighten up on the layering, but don't like the sound of this... o-o  guess i need to find me a designated tick checker.   :o ;D

http://www.newsobserver.com/150/story/438771.html

QuoteEntomologists say all that extra contact with ticks is the main reason Rocky Mountain spotted fever, the most common tick-borne disease, is surging in North Carolina. Last year, there were 625 cases in the state, up from 35 in 1997.

do bug repelent works on ticks?  what do y'all do?  long sleeves and long pants make a sweaty day of fishing. :P
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

phg

First, DEETworks great.  Ticks can't stand the stuff!  Also, if you get a tick on you, by dabbing a bit of DEET on the tick, it will pull out pronto!  Avon's SSS would be my second choice.  It's more environmentally friendly, but less effective.

Personally,  I have always found shorts better than long pants when in tick territory.  No, it doesn't keep them off my legs, but it let's me feel them crawling around.  With long pants, they can find some tender skin and fasten on before you even realize that they are there.

FT

Quoteguess i need to find me a designated tick checker.   Shocked Grin
If someone comes to your front door saying they are conducting a survey on deer ticks and asks you to take your clothes off and dance around with your arms up, DO NOT DO IT!! IT IS A SCAM; they only want to see you naked.

I wish someone had told me yesterday. 

I feel so stupid now.
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

streamer

Tim.........ROTFLMFAOPIMP!!!

Jule
Spittin' Pepsi on my keyboard
Remember...We all live downstream.

badankles

LOL...good one FT.

some guy tried that in FL with free breast exam and got a few takers before getting caught... :o ;D

Stuart R.

Quote from: trout-r-us on May 14, 2006, 19:28:21 PM
Years ago I heard that the majority of spotted fever cases in NC originate along the I-85 corridor between GBO and CLT. Anybody else heard this?

If you decide to use DEET, be careful with your equipment. I can tell you from experience that stuff will melt a fly line.

Yep good poing about the fly lines and watch your waders too. Don't spray it on them put it on before you gear up. Oh ya don'w forget sunblock too it is a line killer.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

badankles

anyone tried the BUZZ OFF clothing?  i know orvis and llbean(?) peddles them, but a bit steep on the prices.

i was out at the pond stepping through some knee high grass (sparse) a couple of days ago and pulled off two ticks right off the bat.  later, while driving back from the pond felt something tickled the back of my neck and lo and behold, another one.  i think i went over every little itch, little wind brush for the next couple hours after that.   ::) ;D

FT

I got my wife a buzz-off t-shirt and she says it really works.
Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

Grumpy

I have a Buzz Off cap & socks, halfway affordable & i can vouch for their effectiveness. You can buy Phermone(that's close to being right i think) & treat your own clothes.
I know surveyors will use those Frontline flea/tickk collars around the cuffs of their pants while out stomping around in the weeds/woods & they swear by those.
I sprayed some OFF on me & the daughter yesterday while we were fixing some fence on the back 40, that worked, of course the first thing i done was to wrap my arms around a tree with poison oak on it :-[

Grumpy

badankles

for those interested, orvis online is having a sale on buzz-off.  still a bit pricey for me, but much better than retail.

badankles

holy cow.   :o   why would orvis and ll bean continue with the product?  interesting.   ???

oh, from one of the website above describing the pesticide:

QuoteSymptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning.

i've encountered those symptoms before while fishing...when i've been thoroughly skunked.   :P

lepomis_mcro

people will petition anything now a days...buzz off is awsome, been using it since it came out, and let me tell you the third arm i grew really comes in handy when im tying on flies, and mending the line ;D

but for real, its made in NC..so thats aways cool. as for the EPA not regulating it...i did find this
QuoteBUZZ OFF™ Insect Shield Insect Repellent Apparel is the first insect-repellent clothing to be registered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. To gain this approval, BUZZ OFF apparel underwent rigorous testing and review. No other insect-repellent clothing has gained EPA approval.

and you can still use othe repellents with it if you like
  Can I use DEET and permethrin together, or is the combination unnecessary?

When maximum protection against insect bites is needed or desired, the ideal solution is to use a combination of DEET on exposed skin, and wear permethrin-treated clothing. An extended-duration DEET insect repellent (Ultrathon®) and permethrin-treated clothing is the standard personal protection system used by the U.S. military deployed in areas of the world where insect-borne disease is a real threat. One field study showed that the use of both of these products provided 99.9% protection against mosquito bites, in an environment where unprotected persons received an average of 1,188 bites per hour! 

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

badankles

i shouldn't have been so easily swayed with the "shock" tactics.   o-o  good information about permethrin to file away for future reference, nevertheless.

still, the buzz-off's only effective for 25 washing.  that's a lot of dough for only 25 or so outing.  i'm still wearing clothes from 10+ years ago.

you know, i can see the advantages of a third arm...so can my wife.   :o :-X  ;D

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: badankles on May 18, 2006, 09:25:50 AM
i shouldn't have been so easily swayed with the "shock" tactics.   o-o  good information about permethrin to file away for future reference, nevertheless.

still, the buzz-off's only effective for 25 washing.  that's a lot of dough for only 25 or so outing.  i'm still wearing clothes from 10+ years ago.

you know, i can see the advantages of a third arm...so can my wife.   :o :-X  ;D

you wash your fising clothes??? what's up with that.. I figure that buzz off stuff should last 25 years....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

fliesinthetrees

If the bugs don't get you the chemicals will.

Take you pick.

:P