News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dougfish

Quite the traffic jam on the Smiff. Sunshine brings all the cretins to the river.
Nice fish.  'c;

Fin

QuoteHiking down to find some more structure, we noticed a kayaker paddling up the river. I wondered where he had put in. "We're going to scare the hell out of him," I commented before I called out "Hello."

Dang right you scared the hell out of me!  I hear someone call out, look up and see some disheveled looking homeless dude in fatigues standing in the bushes, drinking a beer.  I nearly went overboard.  It was good to see you guys after I got over my initial shock.

consumnfire1229

Fin is the gatekeeper.

Nice hero shot!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

NCsporksman

lol disheveled homeless dude, not dudes, glad I got a haircut Saturday  -0-

Started w  a couple of these

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Keith floggin a honey hole that provided no honey

Streamer weather or bust

will be back with these

Dougfish

Now you're choosing wisely. Olive, amber and gray would be good additions.

Woolly Bugger

Going to beat the sporkster to the river Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Sunny and in the 70s, sitting at the coffee bar with my laptop finishing up some work, the barista ask when I'm going fishing again. I thought about it for a few seconds and said, "Now"! I called the powerhouse to check the generation schedule and found that I could fish the upper river till close to dark.

The water is cold enough to warrant waders all year round, but the air felt warm enough to wet wade. I hiked in, the clear sky high UV day was beating down and it felt good to finally set into the chilly waters of the Smith. While rigging up the rod and breaking out the 7x, I noticed BWOs mixed in with the usual midges. The long slick pool was running clear and the leafless trees provided only broken shade. "Gulp", a trout rose. There were a few other fish who hit the surface but nothing steady, I tied on a #22 emerging midge pattern and went to work. I caught a couple of the small resident brown trout and took a picture with the phone as the Olympus TG-1 was at home.

I searched the river for rising fish, but didn't find any in the runs and riffles where the BOWs were hatching. If  I had beer with me I would have called rule 11 and drank a few while waiting for the river to light up. Instead I found a comfortable spot on the bank to lay down and watch the river for a while. Hawks were soaring on the thermals and a beaver crossed the river above me, silently paddling in a straight line to the other side. The bugs were really starting to come off and there were egg layers as well I saw bugs emerge and float down through the feeding lanes for 30 or 40 seconds totally ignored and unmolested by the trout which I was certain were lurking down below and that at any moment would begin to rise regularly. I just relaxed and waited. Closing my eyes I saw the rubber legs of the streamers I had been tying. Then a red ever changing red orb floating above the river, I relaxed and began deep breathing then drifting off listening to the riffle above to the left and the other one downstream, mixed with birds chirping. I was almost asleep, when the sound of a trout rising brought me back to focus on the river. I waited and continued to watch, the trout rose again, "Could this be the beginning", I wondered. An hour had passed and there were only two hours left to fish. This effort to do nothing may have been brought on by a joke I read earlier in the day, "A Buddhist Monk approaches a hotdog stand and says, "Make me one with everything".

The trout never rose, but I did find a couple who were willing to take a BWO parachute. Spring is here, the hatches will only get better and the fish will rise. Next up Sulfurs!

When I got home this was waiting for me.

What's up with the integrated rod sock divider thingy?

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Feather Chucker

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 04, 2014, 20:44:10 PM

Quote from: Big J on March 04, 2014, 18:58:14 PM
Quote from: NCsporksman on March 04, 2014, 16:20:42 PM
I love accounting

Said no one ever.  Even accountants hate accounting.

You sir, have never been to an accountant convention!

Must be like a pharmaceutical rep convention. Basically any kind of sales convention usually has some talent.

Rhody

we need to go break in that 6 wt., nice writin
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Rhody on March 12, 2014, 11:32:04 AM
we need to go break in that 6 wt., nice writin

SoHo Saturday is looking good
me -There's a season?

Dougfish

You have much patience, Grasshopper. Sitting and observing. With brewski, of course.

I would have been throwing the whole fly box at them.

NCsporksman

I'm with D-fish, why drive to the river just to sit there, didn't have ya pegged for a Buddhist...hippie maybe

consumnfire1229

Sometimes you just have to take in what God made!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

bmeador

Fished Friday after generation till dark - 830 to 330 Saturday.  Friday was pretty good.  Landed 8 browns with 2 being 12 - 13 inches,  all on a streamer.  Got into a pool loaded with stockers and took 6 home.

Sat. was tougher.  Only brought 3 to hand.  Wind was terrible.  Very sporadic stones started popping off around 1030.  Up in the top end of the SRA,  BWO and Blue Quills started coming off really good around 1230 - saw a couple of stones in the mix.  Only saw a single fish take a dry off the surface.  The wind was blowing straight down the river and it was tough to get a decent cast! 

All in all it was a wonderful day, LOTS of company from Stanleytown bridge all the way up.  The rock is where the beverages came out and my day was over...

NCsporksman

4 months and have yet to see a fish take a dry on that river