News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Muskie...lunge

Started by DRIFTS, November 24, 2013, 08:08:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DRIFTS

Took my middle son out on his first muskie adventure yesterday...All went well!  Reed on the figure 8The baitwe let this guy go without even touching his slime coat...of course after proper dental care was given.  All in all, incredible !!!
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

overbrook

Nicely done Drifts!   I like the flies, I sometimes wonder if some of these guys are getting carried away with the size of thier flies, thus hindering thier actual ability to present them in an effective way? I'll happily admit I know shit about musky fishing.....just seems to me that a smaller fly (say 5 inches) presented really well would outfish a 10" fly thrown around like a wet mop? Anyway....I cheer your sucess !  y; y; y;

Big J

Drifts, you are killin me.  Your tearing up the musky this fall  d:b  I need to get another musky float with you in December before you do your boat repair.  8)

DRIFTS

Hey O B one canobi , you right on bout those flies...The smaller one's are able to really get out there...more water covered = more muskie I'm finding
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

overbrook

Quote from: DRIFTS on November 24, 2013, 12:28:48 PM
Hey O B one canobi , you right on bout those flies...The smaller one's are able to really get out there...more water covered = more muskie I'm finding

I don't know that I'm right....I still have yet to go musky fishin. It was just an observation I've wondered about.

One fly I thought would probably be the shit is Maniacs larger jointed version of the wiggle minnow.

Dougfish

V:;

Good job, pops!
And keep rubbing J's nose in it.  ;D

Michael Toris

Quote from: overbrook on November 24, 2013, 15:03:21 PM

I don't know that I'm right....I still have yet to go musky fishin. It was just an observation I've wondered about.

One fly I thought would probably be the shit is Maniacs larger jointed version of the wiggle minnow.

If you could get it down, yes, yes it would be the shit.

I have had much success on big ass double jointed stuff. We have done well on big single hook stuff too. For us, big is in.

overbrook

Quote from: wildmttrout on November 24, 2013, 17:19:15 PM

I have had much success on big ass double jointed stuff. We have done well on big single hook stuff too. For us, big is in.

Maniac said it did'nt exactly cast like a dream either.

I understand  The "big is in" concept....not like you're fishin for brookies.....I guess I was just making the observation from the standpoint of having never have been....and seeing some of these guys who are still looking to make thier first a reality... tying these huge ass triple deerhair mostrosities ....that maybe some flies that are a little more shoulder friendly and controllable in the water would get them there faster.

Now those with the long saddle feathers I can kinda dig....and I also fully understand that half the fun is sitting behind the vise, getting creative and daydreaming about these big muthers. Either way....I'm envious....very envious!

Michael Toris

Quote from: overbrook on November 24, 2013, 19:47:56 PM
Quote from: wildmttrout on November 24, 2013, 17:19:15 PM

Maniac said it did'nt exactly cast like a dream either.

I understand  The "big is in" concept....not like you're fishin for brookies.....I guess I was just making the observation from the standpoint of having never have been....and seeing some of these guys who are still looking to make thier first a reality... tying these huge ass triple deerhair mostrosities ....that maybe some flies that are a little more shoulder friendly and controllable in the water would get them there faster.

Now those with the long saddle feathers I can kinda dig....and I also fully understand that half the fun is sitting behind the vise, getting creative and daydreaming about these big muthers. Either way....I'm envious....very envious!

I'm young. A shoulder replacement will probably be in my future. 

Yeah, the big flies do cast tough,  but with the right line and rod you can belt'em out about 70 or 80 feet. Just can't do it for long

overbrook

Quote from: wildmttrout on November 24, 2013, 19:49:44 PM

Yeah, the big flies do cast tough,  but with the right line and rod you can belt'em out about 70 or 80 feet. Just can't do it for long

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I can't cast most smallie flies that far.

Michael Toris

Quote from: overbrook on November 24, 2013, 19:54:16 PM
Quote from: wildmttrout on November 24, 2013, 19:49:44 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:  I can't cast most smallie flies that far.

It's more like lobbing a heavy ass line and allowing it to do the work. Lol

TWiles

Great fish! What a great moment to share with your son. If you haven't done it yet, you may want to try rigging a big 1/2 to 3/4 oz sinker in front of one of your flies on your son's line. My wife and brother usually can draw in more fish out of the deep water that way.