Smith for a few hours....

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 03, 2008, 07:36:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

After soccer camp, and then running the kids all over town from southeast to west side, I turned the GPS on to take me to the Smith River. I probably should have back tracked ten miles and hit the know route but I trusted the GPS to get me there. And it did, taking the scenic route, although the travel time was about the same it was a country road drive that seamed to take much longer. Finally I arrived at the mirror plant and proceeded to fish the long slick behind the plant. With no generation during the day I had hoped that there would be a significant sulfur hatch. There were bugs in the air, mostly midges and bwo's along with a sulfur or two. The sun was shining brightly on the smooth surface and I didn't see any steady risers, I worked the water. With the 6:00 PM release schedule, I moved on down to the lower part of the special regs section and when I got down there the bugs were a lot thicker and fish were rising in the feeding lanes. I popped on off at about 70 feet with too much pepper! Then I picked up a handful more at closer range. Fished till I could no longer follow the fly in foam as the sun set.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Nice! Wool.

Fished till the foam and sunset masked the fly......Classic!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutfreak

Nice Wool!  I too hit the stream this evening until about 7:45pm, never fished that late, but was rewarded well with a nice brown around the 17in mark on flashback fly.  I caught all breds last night....4 brookies, 2 rainbows and the big brown...might be so big to you guys but up here in the mountains  thats a big brown to me....I have really been trying to use more nymph's this year and have been very successful on the setting the hook.  Now, I have lost my touch on setting the dry hook.  I bet I lost 5 good fish because I reacted to soon.  Anyway you get'em anyway you can though it is nice to see the dry fly get hit.  I dont know about the Smith, but up here in WNC mountains the stream was packed with fly fishermen.....the most I have ever seen in one evening.  I have been very surprised at the amount of bugs popping off.  The fishes seem to love it.  They were hitting just about everything I threw at them last night.  I just about got enough money saved for that waterproof camera, so pic's will soon follow.

Woolly Bugger

Since I wasn't having any luck in the upper section I started working on my casting throwing 60 to 70 feet of line out across the river. I worked the distant runs and seams before heading back up to the slick water. I shot a cast and as the coils on the line hit the stripping guide I glanced down to see how much of the line didn't shoot out. It has all shot out, just made a little noise. When I glanced back up to the fly there was a nice ring around it where a trout had risen to it!  o-o
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutrus

Nice report, although the photo doesn't seem to be up to your standard.
Glad to see you caught some.  0--0

kylemc

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on April 03, 2008, 15:13:26 PM
Nice report, although the photo doesn't seem to be up to your standard.
Glad to see you caught some.  0--0

Crappy cell phone photo taken as the sun was setting (slow shutter speed)   

Read this thread ....http://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,3992.0.html
me -There's a season?