Trout Arrived for Lake Rim Clinics

Started by Al, December 14, 2005, 17:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

The NC Wildlife Commission stocked 750 Rainbows and 250 Brook Trout in two ponds at the John Pechmann Fishing Education Center today (Previously called the Lake Rim Fish Hatchery). These fish will have a month to acclimate to their surroundings before the first  Fly Fishing Clinic on Saturday January 14, 2006.

We had a group of volunteers help with the stocking. You may see some of us on TV or in print. They had a TV crew, several photographers and at least one print reporter there recording the event.

I have said it several times, but it is worth repeating, these fly fishing clinics would not be possible without a dedicated cadre of volunteers. This year we have access to the ponds in return for our help. The volunteers will soon be "testing" flies and honing their fly fishing skills so that they can share their expertize at the upcoming clinics. I live 3 miles from Lake Rim which means there are two Delayed Harvest ponds almost in my back yard - all it cost me and the other volunteers is a little time - can't beat that!  ;D

phg

Wish I could have made it, but it sounds like you got them all in ok.  I do wish they'd add a few browns to the mix.  Were they as big as last year's?  As I recall they were 12" to 14" when stocked. 

I'll check with you later about equipment testing.... ::) 8) ;D

Al

Quote from: phg on December 14, 2005, 22:20:40 PM
Were they as big as last year's?  As I recall they were 12" to 14" when stocked. 

I'll check with you later about equipment testing.... ::) 8) ;D

Fish looked real healthy. If anything they looked bigger then last year. I expect there will be a lot that will go past the 16 inch mark by the time the last clinic which is scheduled for March 25th rolls around.

As of right now the list of volunteers with authorized access has been posted with the names of all who showed up to help yesterday. This was mainly folks from the local area. I fully understand many of the out of town volunteers could not get off for such a short time event during the middle of the week. I will add your name to the list as soon as you show up to help. If you are a previous volunteer and would like access prior to the first  clinic, which is scheduled for Saturday, Jan 14th contact me and I will send you an email which explains a very limited access procedure during the holiday season.

JG

Nice pictures - shows what a cold afternoon it was!
Thanks, Al, for making this happen for us as volunteers as well as all the folks who come to the clinics.

Al

Here is link to article which ran in the Fayetteville Observer on Sunday. http://www.fayettevillenc.com/article?id=222599

A couple of corrections are in order:

Date of first clinic is Jan 14th, not the 17th

I was not on ESPN - I was on two shows which aired in the local area.

cmiller51h

Nice article Al. Were is Lake Rim and what's in it during the summer. I'm down at Ft Bragg more than I care to be sometimes and finding a good place to fish is getting harder.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

Al

Quote from: cmiller51h on December 18, 2005, 21:41:22 PM
Nice article Al. Were is Lake Rim and what's in it during the summer. I'm down at Ft Bragg more than I care to be sometimes and finding a good place to fish is getting harder.

Lake Rim is located about 4 miles from Ft Bragg. Go out the Reilly Rd gate / checkpoint and proceed to end of Reilly Rd. Turn right on to Old Reaford Rd and see Lake Rim less then 200 yards down Reaford Rd. Lake will be on your right. Fishing and Education Center is on left coming from that direction.

Lake Rim itself is open to fishing year round. Fishing and Education Center is only open to public for special events. Lake Rim has bream, crappie and bass. It has fairly decent shore access. A small jon boat, raft or float tube gives you better access. No gasoline motors allowed.

Let me know when you're down this way - I may join you. Might also have other options.

cmiller51h

Thanks Al, I know exactly where it is. I'll give you a call the next time I'm down there.
"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander