News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Old auto pistol

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, July 23, 2015, 09:46:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I located an old pistol that was my grandfather's.  It is a Remington .380 auto.  It has UMC on the grip like the one in the photo, but it also has "patent pending".  I've looked a bit online and I get the feeling it is old and worth a few hundred.  Any thoughts from you gun gurus?
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I am going to keep it and see how it shoots.  Supposedly my grandfather carried it when walking to and from his general store.  I don't know if he was concerned about the wild critters or the wild residents (mostly lumbermen) of the time.  My carry permit expired in 2014.  I never acquired a weapon to conceal, but I am thinking this small firearm may serve me, if I leave the chamber empty (don't want to shoot myself in the leg or foot).  And it seems an ok caliber for deterring those coyotes while out without a rifle.  Coyotes worry me, particularly at dusk or later at night.     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Horace Kephart, You might want to think about replacing the springs at least.

Big J

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 23, 2015, 11:20:12 AM

finally, I am far from an expert on modern handgun loads, but some modern ammo may produce too much pressure and that could be lethal.

^This.  Do not run any +P ammo thru it.  I know with .380, a major concern with people is penetration, especially with JHP.  I know a lot of people will carry FMJ rounds in their .380 for defensive use.  Might be a good option since you'll have it in the woods.

Al

Quote from: Big J on July 23, 2015, 11:28:44 AM
Quote from: troutfanatic on July 23, 2015, 11:20:12 AM

finally, I am far from an expert on modern handgun loads, but some modern ammo may produce too much pressure and that could be lethal.

^This.  Do not run any +P ammo thru it.  I know with .380, a major concern with people is penetration, especially with JHP.  I know a lot of people will carry FMJ rounds in their .380 for defensive use.  Might be a good option since you'll have it in the woods.

Concur with others who said get it checked out before shooting. Some of them old guns are better off as conversation pieces then working firearms using today's ammo.

Ref .380 and penetration = it is a problem when 2 legged critters are wearing heavy clothes. The JHP would fill up with material and expand too soon thereby losing penetration. Hornady fixed that by filling the HP with rubber inside the their patented FTX bullet. (much the same as their Revolution ammo for lever action rifles) - this rubber prevents the HP from filling up and dumping it's penetration too soon.  Hornady markets this ammo in several calibers including .380 as "Hornady Critical Defense"

Michael Toris

Federal has something similar. I think it's called hyrdashock

Big J

Heck, in .380 I'd just run this.

http://www.lehighdefense.com/collections/ammo/products/380-auto-90gr-xtreme-penetrator-ammunition

Less velocity then standard .380 rounds.  Think standard .380 fmj velocity is around the 950 fps mark.  These lehighs are at 860 fps. 

Agree on getting a gunsmith to check out the gun too. 

Big J

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 28, 2015, 10:38:05 AM
I'd just stick to my Sig 220 and Fire 240 grain golden saber.

For what?  Bear? Coyote? Two legged critters? All of the above?

I'm a big fan of .357 revolvers for a woods gun.

Also, here is a fun read on ballistics from a mortician. 

http://www.gunthorp.com/Terminal%20Ballistics%20as%20viewed%20in%20a%20morgue.htm