News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

G Smokies Trip Advice

Started by NCsporksman, July 18, 2017, 23:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCsporksman

Planning on taking the daughter (6yr old) to the park the first week in August. I've only read about it but some of you dewds know the place and any suggestions on what to do and see, and what to avoid would be the tits. It's a big place and don't want to burn her out. She's down with the camping and fishing. We'll be going mid-week, staying at Cataloochee (possibly), other than that I'm all ears.  0:0

sanjuanwormhatch

I may get chided for this but I remember enjoying the mountain farm museum when I was younger and would like to take my son there eventually.  Could also look into float tube deep creek.  Granted these are far from off the beaten path but I find baby steps is the key with toddlers.

Whatever you do, report back.  I had to cancel a trip but plan to get up there with the boy at some point.

troutfanatic

I took our kids plenty of times. They always did well. You just gotta balance touristy stuff with outdoor stuff. I've stayed at Smokemont and Deep Creek. Smokemont gets crowded AF, but we saw the elk every day. The kids dig the elk.
Over at deep creek you can rent tubes and float down it. It won't be fishable at lower elevations because of tubers. There are a few kid friendly hiking trails at Deep Creek that have waterfalls.

I took the kids to the Cherokee museum, they enjoyed that. They also liked that stupid gem mining crap in Cherokee.

For fishing, get with me on FB messenger. Me, Tranny, Dylar and a couple others hit it 2 years ago. I know the streams pretty well. It is hit or miss this time of year. Rudder's book is a pretty good resource too.

I'm betting yellahammer could give you some good deets.

Grannyknot

there is always a lot of stuff for kids going on at the oconaluftee visitor center.  cherokee is sort of a shit hole, but the native american Indian exhibitions are pretty good, especially for kids.  most of that stuff is closer to smokemont, which isnt a bad campground.
Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

sanjuanwormhatch

There were all kinds of jr ranger-esque programs when I was trying to plan my trip.  I got pretty deep into the websites.  Not sure where I found it.

Grannyknot

on sunday mornings they do a jr ranger salamander hunt on mingus creek. 
the ranger that does it is really good with kids.

NCsporksman

Hell yeah this is going to be sweet. Is the Pigeon River white water rafting worth the coin?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JMiller

This thread is great. Im about to take my two sons in October (3 and 6).
Any thoughts on Cosby campground?

"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Quote from: NCsporksman on July 19, 2017, 16:00:32 PM
Hell yeah this is going to be sweet. Is the Pigeon River white water rafting worth the coin?

The Pigeon is not a bad choice.  It isn't terribly long, or difficult.  More exciting than the Nanny, and the water is warmer than the Nanny.  I can't answer if it's worth it. 

I wanted to camp at the Smokies this year, but my wife got involved, and now the focal point of the trip is a train ride/first class seating on a steamer at the Tuck.  Thats more expensive than the raft trip, and it probably ain't worth it, but I'll get some pulled pork out of the deal.

I'd just as soon crash near Yaller's place, and canoe down the bird from Hepco.  Now that would be a riot!

NCsporksman

Yes man the aforementioned coin ain't bad at all, how do you guys feel about cataloochee as a base of operations? I like that it's got a lot right there in case i just wanna drink and walk around for a day

Onslow

The Spork be scouting areas for future Elk hunting under the guise of family trip, lol V:;

benben reincarnated

There is not shit near Cataloochee as far as groceries or beer.  You have to drive to Maggie Valley and to go to a convenience store or have to drive to Waynesville to hit up a grocery store.  The road in and out of the valley is 1.5 lanes at best so it can be slow going at times.  Just figured it is worth mentioning.  Otherwise Cataloochee is great if you just want to stay in the campground in the valley and never need to leave. 

You can see regularly see elk at Oconaluftee and along the parkway at Soco Gap.

sanjuanwormhatch

I was going to make cataloochee my home base but as ben said I would stock up.  Seems like a solid place to just fuck around to kill time. 

Grannyknot

cataloochee is a great campground for park history, but its a long drive from any of the activities mentioned in this thread.

troutfanatic

I never camped at Cataloochee. I have been there though. One good aspect is fishing access for the kid, but then again, the 'Luftee runs near Smokemont, plus you have Bradley Fork and Chasteen Creek right there. All I would say about Smokemont is that it is peak season and it will be crowded. Despite the park rules, Bradley will get hammered with worms, spinners and powah bait. There are no showers at Smokemont. I hate to stink. I can't remember if they have them at Deep Creek.

I asked the kids what they liked from the trips we took. This is what I got

The older one said she liked hiking the AT. She was 9 at the time, I took her for about 6 miles up near Clingman's Dome. She also said she liked the rafting trip we did. Yes, It is expensive.

The younger one said she liked riding the train and going into Gatlinburg with her mother. I have never been to Gatlinburg... not my thing.

That said, the train ride ain't a bad deal for kids. It's based out of Bryson City. There are different trips daily and different prices. We took the train up to Nantahala Outdoor Center and did a rafting trip out of there. It included lunch and I was able to have a few overpriced beers.

If you go to Bryson City, there's a sandwich shop there called The Filling Station- good shit! Try the Cuban Sandwich. Two doors down is an ice cream shop called soda pops. Take the kid for some ice cream.