News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Land O' Punes

Started by Grannyknot, May 19, 2014, 09:09:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grannyknot

Took Friday off from work & fished all day.  On the way up the forest service road, that runs along a popular wild stream, passed several other old timers, still sitting in their trucks drinking coffee.  I parked where the stream leaves the road for about a mile where it leaves a gorge.  Was on the water by 9am.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Started pretty slow.  Dries were refused.  Nymphs accepted with a near perfect drift in the deeper runs.
I wish I could high stick nymph like some of you guys do.  I'm sure I'd catch bigger fish.  I just don't have the patience to practice & learn.
Caught several punes early in the morning.  Nothing special.  A few nicer fish came unbuttoned.

Around noon I had finished fishing the gorge section, so I decided to hike back to the car, have a beer & a sandwich, and move up the road in search of a brook trout or 2.
Made it back to the car just in time, as it started to hail right as I cracked this open...

Bugs were out in full force after the rain let off.  I never can remember the name of this green stonefly. 

On my way up to the smaller water, I ran into a few guys from Florida who were camped with a group of 6 and had apparently been flogging the water up and down the drainage.
Decided F this, I'm out of here.  Ditched the car and hit a trail into the wilderness.  This stream was tough to fish due to all the rain they had received over the past few days.

Did manage to find a few pune natives and one out of place transplant...

On the way out, I found this tree that someone or something had been giving the business to.  My 8' fly rod is leaned up next to it.
Do you fellas think a bear did this?  The damage went well beyond 8 feet.  Probably closer to 12 or 13'.

I suck at fishing.  Glad I got to get out though.  Legs were burning after 10 hours on the water.
Cheers.

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Dougfish

Well shit. You did just fine!

Yellow Sally Stonefly.

The shredded tree came up recently on a post by Big J.
It was decided it was probably a Pileated Woodpecker. They will find an infested tree and reduce it to toothpicks.

Big J

Yup, a Pileated Woodpecker.  Here is the tree that I saw destroyed.  I thought it was a bear myself at first.

Good outing.   d:b

Grannyknot

Woodpeckers....never even occurred to me.  Yep, bet that was it.

Transylwader

Wood peckers = peckerwoods?
That stream loks awful familiar. Well played Cody. When do you wanna fish mate? I have the next few weekends open for fishing. Holla d:b

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on May 19, 2014, 09:16:16 AM
Yellow Sally Stonefly.

Doug, I ain't pickin' on you --- honest.  I still love you man!

Family Chloroperlidae - Green Stoneflies
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Looked yellar to me. But I can't match a hatch worth a shit, either.

And it isn't a plant. So I should learn to shut up.  :-X

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Dougfish on May 19, 2014, 11:46:52 AM
And it isn't a plant. So I should learn to shut up.  :-X

No, please don't!  You are our Kaitie Couric.

benben reincarnated

Nice selection of AVL brews.  I had a Gateway Kolsch myself last night on draft, it is something good.

I don't think I've ever seen a green stone like that.  Must be some nucleated mutant...how far were you from Oak Ridge?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: benben on May 19, 2014, 12:05:56 PM
I don't think I've ever seen a green stone like that.  Must be some nucleated mutant...how far were you from Oak Ridge?

Check out the online photos of Alloperla and some related genera.  Pretty critters!

Grannyknot

Quote from: benben on May 19, 2014, 12:05:56 PM

I see those green stones all over the place here in E Tenn in the Springtime.

Grannyknot

Quote from: Transylwader on May 19, 2014, 11:08:00 AM
That stream loks awful familiar. Well played Cody. When do you wanna fish mate? I have the next few weekends open for fishing. Holla d:b

I was in WNC a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt i'll be back over that way any time soon.
You'd have to venture over here.

Transylwader

Quote from: Grannyknot on May 19, 2014, 12:16:52 PM
Quote from: Transylwader on May 19, 2014, 11:08:00 AM

I was in WNC a couple of weeks ago, so I doubt i'll be back over that way any time soon.
You'd have to venture over here.
Would I require a TN license or you fishing the park? The Outta state is a rip-off IMO p;-

Grannyknot

Quote from: Transylwader on May 19, 2014, 15:33:42 PM
Would I require a TN license or you fishing the park? The Outta state is a rip-off IMO p;-

My out of state license for NC is cheaper than my own states.
Yes, we could hit the park.  I'm 50 minutes from several different trailheads.

Grannyknot

Went on a family camping trip back to the land of punes this weekend.  Same area, different crik.
I had planned on spending a lot of time on the water this trip, but between it being a family trip, the constant rain, & my buddy's truck breaking down as we pulled into the campground, that didn't exactly happen.  If you didn't know, it costs a shit-load of money to hire a roll-back tow truck to come to the land of punes and haul your ass back up over the mountain to civilization.  We did have the entire campground to ourselves....which was good, because my friend said he looked out the door of his tent at 2am, and I was walking up the gravel road toward the pit shitter, wearing nothing but sandals & boxers with my dick hanging out....and I had a beer, although I don't remember any of this.

Water was nasty from all the rain.  Hardly had any dry fly action.  Fish probably couldn't even see a dry on top of the water.  Nymphs were the only way to go.
We did manage to find a few punes.

What?? Oh, were you going to fish here? 

Found lots of bugs around the lantern.
This guy got roasted.