The End Is Near (2020 that is)

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 28, 2020, 19:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

12-29-20 5?

Gas $2.06 - .25 fuel rewards =  $.1.81

I've always wated to fish this creek, I tred going in 25 years ago, but without cell phones and driving a Plymouth Voyager I backed out of the two track not knowing what was ahead. Now armed with cell service, GPS and satellite imagery I set out again. The road is well graded without any potholes, washboarding, or clearance issues, however there was a nice coating of snow as I headed down the rather steep incline. This gave me some pause. Checking the phone I had three bars, so I was good to go and hoped for the best. No problem whatsoever and I pulled into the wide graveled parking area in front of locked gates on roads that go further into the gamelands.

One of these roads followed the creek to the lower game lands boundary and crosses the creek several times. On the way down I checked for access and conditions and every natural line of drift was soon thwarted with rhododendron tangles. I would access a section and cast to one likely pool before having to back out and scramble around deadfalls and rhododendron hells to get to the next little pool. I soon gave up on this endeavor and continued along the old road to where is crossed the main branch for a second time. Here the stream was more open and I could opt for roll and back s instead of only bow and arrow.
I had a little brookie nibble at the fly but I don't think it could engulf the fly. I did catch a rainbow, just the one. Pretty fish though. Then it was back to bushwhacking my way upstream.

I finally had enough and I contemplated heading back further downstream, but decided to save that for another day, say in March or April!

Photo dump

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Wore my jacket reversed to show some color.

The road goes about a mile to the boundary.

Combat with the rhodos.

Man on the land, perhaps a foundation of sorts.

Bridge at the second crossing.

Ice formations.

Casting room!

Took the stimi.

Exceptionally beautiful down here.

Wild Water Abides, so it does, so it does.

On the hike out I ran into a father and son deer hunting, They were from Florida.
The drive out was uneventful.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

greg

Nice pictures. Pretty fish. Better than my day.

Onslow

This is most certainly a good time to be hitting what are normally mere gurgling trickles.

You probably now hold the record for the largest fish caught in this watershed size category for NW Carolina. Nice exploring fer sure.

RiverbumCO

I forgot reversible jackets used to exist.
My real name is Chad Farthouse.