News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

well that was different...

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 24, 2020, 11:36:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

December 23, 2020 # 5?

I said, "fuck it, I'm going anyway" as I got off to a late start on a three hour drive to a river I haven't fished since @troutphisher left for parts unknow (Texas) . I walked in to an old favorite spot only to find that the river had changed course and was now 120 feet to the north. Obviously a huge flood had occurred as washed out trees were scattered and jammed across the flats between the old channel and the new river bed.

I only saw the tiniest of midges in the air and tied on a tandom of Pat Dorsey's patterns, Top Secret Midge, which I have renamed TLF, Tiny Little Fucker and a Mercury Blood Midge.

Worked the new water and caught fish and rhodos, damn that water is deep, fast, and cold, with only wader pants, I had to leave a few flies in the bushes as I didn't sport enough freeboard to retrieve them.

Surprisingly, I only took two photo.

Fueled up on the way home; Gas $2.16 at a BP where the Kenan tanker has just filled the tanks. The driver came out of the store and hollered at me, "I just put racing fuel in the tanks, so if you get a speeding ticked blame Kenan" I didn't know what to say.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

itieuglyflies

Nice....glad you got out. Only two photos??? Seems like the next few days are going to be interesting weather wise  Merry Christmas to all. All I have to do is get near Boone and the weather goes to hell.

Dougfish

'c;
I drove 8 hours (round trip) for a bushel of oysters. You do what ya gotta do.
My BP boycott is still in effect, btw.  n!n
$1.64 at Kroger with my $0.30 off discount.  :Dance

Merry Christmas, you beautiful bastards!
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

ryguy

Merry Christmas.  $2.09 on average here in Richmond.  About $.40 more per gallon closer to DC on my daily drive to Northern Virginia.  Glad you were able to get out, streams here are flowing and we are probably around 1.5" of rain today.  Gonna be soupy for a few days.

Onslow

It is most certainly disappointing and heartbreaking when a good friend moves away, or takes their own life. My fishing bud recently took a job at the Cliffside power plant. However, I've managed to get my son hooked on floating beautiful mountain streams, and may have a loyal companion at least for this year.

Nice bow for such challenging conditions. Hope some solace was found on this trip.